Why become a member? ×

In For The Long Stretch

Happy Jack

This is the 15-minute talk I did at the South Coast Bass Bash on 31st August. I will probably be doing an expanded version of this at the South East Bass Bash in November, if there's enough interest.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bakDMyALGt0[/media]

Expecting to feel better by sitting at a desk and watching this is about as smart as hoping to lose weight by reading a diet recipe. Stand up and give it a go.

Try this routine in the safety and comfort of your own home, preferably just before you pick up your bass.

Enjoy.

Edit: PDF added for the information sheet, as requested.

[attachment=170887:Stretches For Musicians.pdf]

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1409818571' post='2543555']
This is the 15-minute talk I did at the South Coast Bass Bash on 31st August. I will probably be doing an expanded version of this at the South East Bass Bash in November, if there's enough interest.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bakDMyALGt0[/media]

Expecting to feel better by sitting at a desk and watching this is about as smart as hoping to lose weight by reading a diet recipe. Stand up and give it a go.

Try this routine in the safety and comfort of your own home, preferably just before you pick up your bass.

Enjoy.
[/quote]

My familiy has always had a history of varicose veins..which I didn't get, but I have always been aware of how I stand.
It wouldn't occur to me that people would favour one leg over another to stand on... that sounds like a heap load of trouble in store.

Sure, be body aware...

Excellent stuff, will have a proper watch at home later.

I've had back problems myself and have found yoga very helpful. Stance and posture is so important, I used to stand in exactly the same way as you did at the start of the video, with all my weight through the one leg, now I'm much more body aware and stand in a much more evenly balanced way. Vertical alignment of ankles, hips and shoulders is also key for maintaining a healthy back. This is an interesting book on posture and alignment..

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1620550997/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1620550997/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]

I saw Jack's talk last Sunday and it was really good, as you can see fro the video. A room full of bass players all attempting Pilates exercises was quite a sight, I can assure you! I've been trying to do some of it sneakily at work, as I'm on m feet most of the day, especially the standing on both feet and pull in with the thighs and it really does work. Jack - I forgot to pick up a sheet at the end - any chance of it as a PDF? And should this be pinned?

Edited by phil.c60

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1409835005' post='2543776']
Done Phil.

Now all we need is for someone to explain why my PDF has been converted into an IDB, and how you're supposed to open it ...
[/quote]

I think it's a forum peccadillo, if you download it and 'if need be' change the extension to .pdf it opens fine...mine downloaded as a pdf

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1409835005' post='2543776']
Now all we need is for someone to explain why my PDF has been converted into an IDB, and how you're supposed to open it ...
[/quote]

And here I am. :)

There's a strange quirk with the forum software that changes the file extension on PDFs.

All you do is download and rename the file extension to 'pdf' instead of 'idb' and it'll open just fine. :)

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
osted Yesterday, 04:43 PM[/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
[size=3][b]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=2543797"][/url]Happy Jack, on 04 September 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:[/b][/size][size=3]

Now come on guys, is this a peccadillo or a quirk?

They're not the same, you know.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ha ha, it's an eccentricity... ;-) [/font][/color]

or is it a vagary,,,,

Edited by phil.c60

As a fellow back sufferer I found this video full of invaluable stuff. I found myself nodding and agreeing all the way through - all familiar techniques I have been taught in yoga and core strengthening exercises. So why haven't I been doing it when playing bass!! Should be pinned for sure.