Why become a member? ×

The Aging Local Rock Musician

blue

[b][font=Arial][size=2]The Aging Local Rock Musician[/size][/font][/b]

[size=3][font=Arial]For all of us that are over 60 and still out there doing bar/ club gigs consistently playing rock music. What are your thoughts on how to deal with it and handle it.[/font]

[font=Arial]Many stopped years ago, some have other interests in life they pursue but what about those of us like me that skew what some might say a lot younger than our years chronologically or who would say skew as immature?[/font]

[font=Arial]I try not to think about my age when I at a show, even though I am invisible to most under 40. Many of us remember the attention we got when we were young and being in a rock band even at the local level meant something. I'm not embarrassed that I'm still doing this at the local level at 61, I'm still having fun.[/font]

[font=Arial]I'm not sure what I'm looking for here, but it's a discussion right?[/font]

[font=Arial]Comments[/font]

[font=Arial]Blue[attachment=169467:IMG_20140409_221450 4-09-2014.jpg][/font][/size]

Edited by blue

I think it's disgusting and you should have stopped when you turned 35. You're stealing all the work for younger people that need it most! I've got three wives and eleven kids to look after for gods sake!!

More helpfully; I think it's great! I'm 27 and I play in a band with a 71 year old guitarist, a 68 year old drummer and a 61 year old singer. Every day I learn something truly invaluable that can only be taught by someone with plenty of experience!

Truckstop

Very cool,

I'm not sure our 29 year old female front and lead guitarist is interested in learning anything from my experience.

I'm certainly open to what I can learn from the younger generations

Blue

Edited by blue

I'm 41 & like a naive young fool I gave up for 4 years at 27 because I thought I was too old. I'm the youngest in my main band (oldest is 51) and work with a 22yr old singer in the other band. I've found I'm more comfortable in my own skin these days so enjoy playing more than ever and don't really stop to consider whether anyone thinks I'm too old etc. I'll keep going until I stop having fun.

After having had a very long break from the music scene and making a return I only hope I am still able to rock out at 60.

When I last played bass I didn't have the aches pains or worries that I have now Blue. Glad to see you still enjoying it, I'm 42 and hope that I can still manage to lug all the gear about but I do look for much lighter gear nowadays.

All the best to you

Paul

Hehe :rolleyes: I'm 63 & if it wasn't for my bloody bones givin' up on me I'd still be gigging with the best of 'em - well figuratively speaking :D It's not the age as such it's a simple matter of having all the right bits working & in the right places at the right times - if you ask me :blink: :yarr:

I left playing music in my late twenties, and started back 6 years ago, I'm 56 now. Apart from feeling wrecked the next day and the amps being 3 times the weight they used to be I am fine! LOL! The Band I am in are 32, 44,56 & 59. Otherwise no complaints, rock on!

As much as I'm enjoying doing the occasional gig again (guitar, not bass) I'm very aware that I'm a lot older than the other guitarist & most of the people watching us.
I feel a bit of a desperately sad old twat if I' m perfectly honest with myself.

Last time I saw BB King he had to sit down for most of the show. Johnny Winter (RIP) played sitting down at the Clapton Crossroads gig a few years ago. If people want to see stage gymnastics then age might be against us but if it's about the music then as long as we can still play then who cares about age? The good thing about being on the 'wrong side' of our mid-50s is that we grew up with some of the best music ever and our audience has grown with us.

As the old saying goes: growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional ;)

I'll turn 64 this Wednesday (cards only, please and don't send cheques...); we'll be out at a festival this coming Saturday. It's easier for me, though, as I play drums, which we all know is for sissies, as I'm sitting down all (well, most...) of the time. How much longer can I continue..? As long as the nurses are available and there's oxygen left in the bottle... I've not (yet...) considered wheelchair access to my kit, but it surely isn't that far off.
The only real downside is the after-gig chill-out, where I have to spread myself out on a cool floor or lawn for 10-15 minutes, to recover, get some decent breathing going and loosen up all the tension. Some kind soul often comes to see if I'm all right, and my partners explain that, yes, it's normal, he's just duff and old. Do I still enjoy it..? Of course; that's the only reason for doing it (we play for free...). As long as I can, and am invited to do so, I'll keep drumming. B)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1408387197' post='2529719']
Age? Bollocks! Scenes need (ahem) [i]experienced[/i] bands to show the young hipsters how to do it right. It's not just about wearing the right cut of denim and this week's sneakers now, is it?
[/quote]

I think that's part of it.

blue

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1408387354' post='2529721']
Last time I saw BB King he had to sit down for most of the show. Johnny Winter (RIP) played sitting down at the Clapton Crossroads gig a few years ago. If people want to see stage gymnastics then age might be against us but if it's about the music then as long as we can still play then who cares about age? The good thing about being on the 'wrong side' of our mid-50s is that we grew up with some of the best music ever and our audience has grown with us.[/quote]

True, however when I talk inteligently about the scene and the prolific time in history for music I grew up in, the younger folks either don't get it or don't care. Hey, I didn't have to see BB or Johnny sitting down, those guys were rippin up the filmore vertically when I was 17. It's pretty easy to understand who got the better end of the deal.

blue

Edited by blue

I'm in my 50s. The rest of the band are in their 20s, although a lot of the time I'm the most immature acting one...

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1408387197' post='2529719']
It's not just about wearing the right cut of denim and this week's sneakers now, is it?
[/quote]

Jeans and sneakers are for slobbing around the house when no-one can see you. Proper musicians dress to look fabulous on stage.

I'm 68 and still get out and gig when I can. I've been playing on and off since I was 17. I saw Little Riichard on tour and that was the defining moment. I'm not in a permanent band these days but that's through choice however I dep occasionally for a blues band, do house band at a local jam from time to time and get up and play at other local jams. As long as I'm fit and sane I will continue to play.

Then and now. I am now 56. This year I will do about 45 paid gigs with the weekend warrior cover band I'm in . Next year I will do about 40 with them, plus at least 5 festivals with an originals band from the early 80's that has reformed. Not all of them in the UK. I will also be releasing at least two new tracks, for 2 record label compilations, with the originals band. It may well top out at a full CD/album, whatever they are these days :lol: .
We old geezers must have some kind of appeal, even if it's just freak, or people would be sat at home with cans and the telly. I will go on for as long as I can even though I have a fretting arm issue.
The biggest drawback for me is the day after a gig it really is an effort to get off the sofa :rolleyes:
One thing that REALLY helps a coffin dodger like me is a 700 watt amp, with suitable cab, and the WHOLE LOT weighing 46lbs :D
Keep on rockin me baby!
Then
[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/img007_zps69159287.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/img007_zps69159287.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Now
[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/603965_10151254661408330_913679179_n_zpsf68aea0d.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/603965_10151254661408330_913679179_n_zpsf68aea0d.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

62, but I've been doing my best to avoid playing 'rock' for a long time. Other band members are in their 40s or 50s.

I too saw Johnny Winter and BB King standing up but I also saw Muddy Waters and Bukka White and Brownie McGee and Sonny Terry etc all sitting down. Sitting down or standing doesn't really matter and there's excellent music now just as there was fifty years ago and a hundred years ago etc etc.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1408387328' post='2529720']
As much as I'm enjoying doing the occasional gig again (guitar, not bass) I'm very aware that I'm a lot older than the other guitarist & most of the people watching us.
I feel a bit of a desperately sad old twat if I' m perfectly honest with myself.
[/quote]

No way Rhys, savour your gigging time whilst you`ve got it. Without wanting to be morbid I`ve just found out that the singer of a band I went to see on Fri (Running Riot) had a heart attack and died this morning. If you still enjoy it, carry on doing it. He was giving his all on Fri, clearly loved it.