Why become a member? ×

Pino is selling his '52

rodney72a

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1403591182' post='2484108']
I thought Guy Prat owned number 8?
[/quote]

No, you're confusing him with Guy Pratt.

In all fairness, this one was apparently owned by Pino Palldino, whoever he may be.

If we wait long enough, hopefully Paul Mackartnee will turn up ...

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1403617860' post='2484548']
Just because you don't happen to be a fan of Fenders I don't see why you call it 'just a battered looking bass'

The history within that wood regardless of the shape of the body is what makes it important.
[/quote]

A bass in that condition regardless of the make is still a battered looking bass IMO.

And history, what history? OK it's old, but there's no history in the listing other than it's been owned by Pino, and the consensus seems to be that he's not been seen using it on anything significant. Who owned it before him and what was it used on? Old doesn't automatically equal better for anything.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1403628698' post='2484723']
A bass in that condition regardless of the make is still a battered looking bass IMO.

And history, what history? OK it's old, but there's no history in the listing other than it's been owned by Pino, and the consensus seems to be that he's not been seen using it on anything significant. Who owned it before him and what was it used on? Old doesn't automatically equal better for anything.
[/quote]

I'm glad someone has finally said this. End of the day, it's a bass. A knackered old bass. I could understand a slight hike in price if he had of used it on a few notable albums as that's historical but still shouldn't merit it being nearly £20k. Or if it was John Entwistle's (excuse my spelling)

If they manage to sell it, i'll be extremely surprised.

[quote name='Biaeothanata-Bassist' timestamp='1403630310' post='2484739']

I'm glad someone has finally said this. End of the day, it's a bass. A knackered old bass. I could understand a slight hike in price if he had of used it on a few notable albums as that's historical but still shouldn't merit it being nearly £20k. Or if it was John Entwistle's (excuse my spelling)

If they manage to sell it, i'll be extremely surprised.
[/quote]

£19k is nothing though to some people. I have a mate who worked in a London music store and they had regular customers from overseas that would buy up stupid amounts (in volume and money) of gear. He managed to sell a Martin D100 at over £80k to an oil baron who wanted it on his wall.

£19k is nothing if you're selling in the right circles (which stores like this do).

I mean, it's $35k for a Fodera Anthony Jackson that he's never even touched. It'd be close to/exceeding £19k for a standard orchestral upright. £19k for a low serial number Fender owned by one of the most prolific bassists is a bargain when you put it into context for the right person.

In short, I would not be surprised if they managed to sell it.

Edited by skej21

If someone like Pino owns a bass like that but never really made much use of it to me it almost confirms it not to be a great bass, collectable novelty because he can, I probably would have one of everything if I could too. To me the only basses worth extra over any other of the same model needs to be one a player is known for or used on a famous record and the actual one not a copy or signature, the stingray used on another one bites the dust would hold more value than one of john deacons many P basses being rarer and used on a worldwide hit for example, an identicle stingray owned by Sting that he has never been seen playing live with or used on a police album for example id pay 0 pence more for than from a seller on basschat.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Just look at the state of that, I have seen plywood 70s/80s copies that look nicer. £19k? Not even if I won the lottery.

As a collectible item, it's a great chance to pick up an instrument that would be very special to people who care for Fender instruments. But surely, [i]surely [/i]no-one will buy this for any other reason!

Edited by Kev

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1403628698' post='2484723']

[/quote] I agree a bashed up old bass is just that granted some people really like that kind of thing so fair play to them but to me it is just an abused bashed up old lump of wood even if money was no object I would not by it or anything like it