Sarah5string

What are you listening to right now?

7 minutes ago, pst62 said:

Both tracks were recorded on a day off on the tour at the request of Producer Ron Nevison, they set up their gear in the studio (Record Plant West) and blasted through them.

They’re stunning versions. A band right on top of their game.

Do you know if they recorded other tracks? I have it in my head that they recorded more than the two mentioned above, but that may just be wishful thinking! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Schenker’s big gripe with the album (and allegedly the final tipping point for his departure) is the version that Ron Nevison and the band chose of Rock Bottom (“poor Rock Bottom”) so we’ll now get to hear the other options!

Schenker played his last gig on the tour on 29th October 1978. He announced his intention to leave but hung around for the mixing of Strangers, his gripe with Rock Bottom is that the solo is spliced everything after 6:34 is from Cleveland, the first half isn't Chicago, I have the bootleg and it's not the same at all. also there was the B-side of the Doctor Doctor Live EP which featured a Live version of On With The Action, which IMHO should have graced the expanded version. That was recorded at The Gardens in Kentucky.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Man Riva said:

They’re stunning versions. A band right on top of their game.

Do you know if they recorded other tracks? I have it in my head that they recorded more than the two mentioned above, but that may just be wishful thinking! 

No mate, but I found out that there was two studio tracks on there, courtesy of a very inebriated Paul Chapman, though he wouldn't say which ones.

4 minutes ago, pst62 said:

Schenker played his last gig on the tour on 29th October 1978. He announced his intention to leave but hung around for the mixing of Strangers, his gripe with Rock Bottom is that the solo is spliced everything after 6:34 is from Cleveland, the first half isn't Chicago, I have the bootleg and it's not the same at all. also there was the B-side of the Doctor Doctor Live EP which featured a Live version of On With The Action, which IMHO should have graced the expanded version. That was recorded at The Gardens in Kentucky.

That’s great info! Hadn’t realised the full Rock Bottom story - I’ll check out the 6:34 point!

I always assumed it was the choice of gig rather than such a detailed gripe that Schenker had. I imagine Nevison would have had his work cut out keeping everyone happy.

Agree with On With the Action. The live version on the EP is such a good version.

On a (semi) related note, I’ve been obsessing with the two Thunderbirds currently on Andy Baxter’s site (not able to post a link). Definitely couldn’t afford one but it’s great to window shop! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

On a (semi) related note, I’ve been obsessing with the two Thunderbirds currently on Andy Baxter’s site (not able to post a link). Definitely couldn’t afford one but it’s great to window shop! 

Yeah two lovely rare specimens there, esp the Blackie. no Headstock repairs on either too.

13 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Third is my favourite too.

Hmm - I might try and find that then. 

11 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

That first piece reminded me of this obscure classic: Athletico Spizz 80 - Clocks Are Big

I was at this eventful Siouxsie & the Banshees gig in 78 when Spizz Oil were the first support act on, Human League (they only had Being Boiled out at the time) were the main support... I won't bother repeating the details - you can see my comments about it here...

Victoria Hall Hanley - Siouxsie and the Banshees

Edited by lemonstar
  • Like 1

Going on a bit of a nostalgia trip at the moment.

Bostons first album plus Follow up Don’t look back

Anything Rush plus Geddy’s my favourite headache, very much underrated record 

2 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Loved this back then, still excites me to hear it today...

That bass!! 

Always remember the first time I saw this on the telly (OGWT?). Thought it was amazing. 

Well, thanks to your recommendation a while back, I’m still mainly listening to Pooka and Natasha Lea Jones. Can’t get enough of either:

Some great new albums out yesterday - Deftones, Svalrbard and The Ocean all have new ones out

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheMaartian said:

That's one of those videos that tells me I really should have tried harder. 😂

• Like 2

Fantastic band featuring Mike Chunn, a much overlooked and great bass player!

Front.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

That's one of those videos that tells me I really should have tried harder. 😂

I don’t think it would matter how much I practiced, I couldn’t get that fluent 🙂

2 minutes ago, pst62 said:

Fantastic band featuring Mike Chunn, a much overlooked and great bass player!

Front.jpg

I’ve got that album, is that now crowded house 

21 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

A classic Gregory isaacs one, nice heavy Bassline 

Nice! Reminded me of Easy Skanking. Softer Babylon.

Edited by TheMaartian
  • Like 1

On 25/09/2020 at 13:47, 4000 said:

Always remember the first time I saw this on the telly (OGWT?). Thought it was amazing. 

Well, thanks to your recommendation a while back, I’m still mainly listening to Pooka and Natasha Lea Jones. Can’t get enough of either:

Yes, they were on OGWT. Remember thinking they were such a cool band. Nobody looked like Devoto! I've just Googled and watched it again!

I saw them in Coventry in '79, with a young Simple Minds supporting. I was blown away by both bands - though in those days it didn't take much!

Re. Pooka etc. I'm so pleased that you're diggin' them! I've since warmed to the second album - I still much prefer their debut, but after a few more listens the follow up has some really nice moments...

Edited by Old Man Riva
Change concert date!

Voivod  Hatross

a strange Saturday night 🤔

Edited by Spewy