Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

22 hours ago, stewblack said:

Thanks to Rick Beato I find myself listening to "Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet". 

This might not sound particularly momentous to you, but for a man weaned on glam, woken up by punk, shaken by ska and only lately soothed by soul, it is a huge step. 

I accidentally stumbled into the first of two Miles Davis shows at the Plugged Nickel in Chicago just before Xmas '65. I was looking for a blues show, but saw a big line of peeps, and went for it. What a way to get introduced to jazz!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stewblack said:

Thanks to Rick Beato I find myself listening to "Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet". 

This might not sound particularly momentous to you, but for a man weaned on glam, woken up by punk, shaken by ska and only lately soothed by soul, it is a huge step. 

Are you yet to be persuaded by prog?

1 hour ago, TheMaartian said:

I accidentally stumbled into the first of two Miles Davis shows at the Plugged Nickel in Chicago just before Xmas '65. I was looking for a blues show, but saw a big line of peeps, and went for it. What a way to get introduced to jazz!

That's a great story!  I bought Kind of Blue in early 2001 and played it to death. Then started working though Miles' earlier work, then to Bit  ches Brew, and still finding new albums and things.

Off to play Big Fun now 🙂

Edited by Richard R
Rude filter will not let me include the plural of the noun for a female dog in the album title, hence the spa ces.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Made me think of this...... a song featuring the word 'mastodon' (I guess there are not many)... and it has two basses so ideal for basschat 😀

The Stranglers "Dead Los Angeles"

Get in son, my second favourite Stranglers album, what a bass player, what a band, what an album, so much so I struggled to choose my ‘I agree with you’ track...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Nah... Stew's been Seduced by Skiffle.

Surely nobody was ever seduced by skiffle?

Though if older BC members have tales of persuading the lasses, to the strains of "My Old Man's a Dustman" on the Dansette, then I stand corrected. And "Diggin' up my Potatoes" was quite raunchy for the time.

2 hours ago, Richard R said:

That's a great story!  I bought Kind of Blue in early 2001 and played it to death. Then started working though Miles' earlier work, then to Bit  ches Brew, and still finding new albums and things.

Off to play Big Fun now 🙂

I've purchased SO many copies of Kind Of Blue over the years. I hope you bought the Columbia/Legacy CK64935 release. It's easily the best sounding of the bunch, and the first (OK, second, but the Mastersound version doesn't have the alternate take of Flamenco Sketches) to correct the speed issue on 3 songs. The tape deck used in their recording was 5% off speed, and those songs were sharp enough to sound in the wrong key.