Why become a member? ×

Giving up playing instruments.

xgsjx

OK, I know every year there's at least one post from someone saying "I'm giving up playing bass", & many probably do.
So here's this year's one.

I've been playing instruments since I was about 4. Started on keys, took up many instruments & settled on bass (still playing other instruments too from time to time) & I've played bass for 30 years now.

But I've had a pressing on me.

I'm a Christian. No big deal, plenty of Christian musicians.
But over this past few weeks, I've been questioning what I'm doing. I prayed about it. I tried to find things that said what "I" wanted them to say so I could continue playing, but nothing has gotten rid of this feeling inside.
Then today at work, just over the course of the day, I decided to call it a day.

What's been most hard is that I'd joined an electronica band that has potential & are great fun. So if any of you are in range of Perth & looking to play electronica, there's an opening.

I'll probably still kick around Basschat, but probably not on a daily (or hourly) basis.

Gear soon to be for sale. :(

That sounds very sad to me (but realise I do not totally understand your text and its implications), and I hope you're not doing this in a sudden attack of depression or something like it. I hope you're doing OK.

If you do persist in this choice, I just hope that you made the right decision for you, and also that you will be OK in the time ahead.

Yes, please do indeed stay here with us! It's more cozy that way! I think you're an asset to BC.

Whatever happens: All the best!

bert

Edited by BassTractor

You prayed and nothing told you to continue... but has anything told you to stop? I'm not belittling your beliefs but do you need to ask for permission or reasons to continue all of the other things that you engage in on a daily basis? Why is it wrong to continue playing? If you have a gift then wouldn't God rather you used this gift than deny its existence?

I am an ex-Christian (the whole evangelical 9 yards) and this sounds horribly familiar. Something that you really enjoy, not 'sinful' as such but takes up a lot of your time and commitment: serious competition for the big G. So you pack it in, you've made a sacrifice, bit of kudos from your fellowship, but the warm glow won't take away the sick feeling that tells you you've made a mistake that's difficult to reverse.

I'm not going to try to convince you that Christianity is a crock, you need to find your own way on that one, but the :( at the end of your post says it all.

As much as you haven't had a sign or something telling you to keep doing it, you don't appear to have had one to tell you not to. On that basis I don't understand why you should stop, if it brings
other people and yourself happiness then stick with it!

The good thing about music is you can walk away, slag her off to your friends, belittle her in every way and she'll always take you back.

Look at it as a break, you have plenty of time to discover other things and if you want to return to music so be it.

If it feels right to stop then stop - if at sometime later you decide you want to start playing again there's nothing to stop you.

At the end of the day it's only playing an instrument you're stopping, it's not like you're losing a limb or anything.

I will say don't just listen to your God. Listen to yourself as well. It sounds to me like you are doing that already but maybe not completely aware of it. There comes a time in most peoples life when change is needed. 34 years is a long time to be playing music. Take a step back and give yourself a rest. Don't sell all your gear.

I am speaking from experience. 1994 I found there was nothing musical that was influencing me. Stopped playing bass altogether for 7 years. Changed instruments and musical direction and was reborn in a musical sense. 2001 and a whole series of coincidences happened. Long story short, I ended up trying out with a jazz band on bass no less. That first session with them was one of the best sessions I have ever had. I have learned so much more about the bass in the years since them and am enjoying it as much now as ever.

More change last year when band playing ceased to give a buzz. Playing on my own and making up my own music and learning even more about the instrument.

Point is, after a long ramble, change is sometimes needed. Go with it but always keep one eye on what has mattered to you for so long.

Surely, of all the things wrong in the world, you can't truly believe that God has decided he thinks your mad bass chops suck and has told you to quit? I think you should try to find the true source of this feeling, you may be able to sort it out in such a way that you can be happy. Even if you still end up quitting, knowing why will help, I'm sure.

I can only echo some of the sentiments of the other posters here.

My background is one of a Secular Humanist whose family are practicing Christians (including a retired Vicar). I have nothing but respect for people who live their lives by the Bible (as long as they dont go all Westboro Baptist Church about it...)

Rather than giving up playing (which denies you and other people, the joy of your expression), could you find a non secular outlet for you musicianship? I'm not an expert on the scriptures, but I certainly remember the bit about "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord; break forth into joyous song and sing praises".

Your abstinence may make you resent your religious calling after a while. No one can make that call but you, I guess, but there are many ways to express your faith and love and one of them is music. Whatever you do, I hope it makes you happy.

Edited by rushbo

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about it. If you no longer wish to play then don't - simple as that. What's the point in forcing it? In fact I've never really understood these regular 'feel like giving up, don't know what to do' posts. Might be a problem if it's the only source of income but I'd guess that's not the case for most people here, so why continue to do something when the interest has gone? It's not exactly a great loss is it?

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1402436170' post='2473589'] Cat Stevens did the same thing 30 odd years ago when he converted to Islam. [/quote]

Er, I don't think Cat Stevens/Yousef Islam ever gave up writing and playing music.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1402435287' post='2473572']

But over this past few weeks, I've been questioning what I'm doing. I prayed about it. I tried to find things that said what "I" wanted them to say so I could continue playing, but nothing has gotten rid of this feeling inside.

[/quote]

Sorry, but this is the part I don't understand. Questioning what you're doing, I get that, but the "so I could continue playing" That's sounds very much like you enjoy it but somehow feel you shouldn't play and are looking for a reason to legitimately continue.

I'm not a religeous person so I'm never going to understand your dilemma if it is related to your faith but surely, if you're a Christian, as I understand it, you worship a God of love and benevolence right? If He (in your eyes) has given you this gift, surely he would want you to embrace it and use it.

Think very carefully about what you decide but best of luck with whatever the outcome.

I'm sad to say that this post could have been written by me, word for word.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1402436352' post='2473592']
I am an ex-Christian (the whole evangelical 9 yards) and this sounds horribly familiar. Something that you really enjoy, not 'sinful' as such but takes up a lot of your time and commitment: serious competition for the big G. So you pack it in, you've made a sacrifice, bit of kudos from your fellowship, but the warm glow won't take away the sick feeling that tells you you've made a mistake that's difficult to reverse.

I'm not going to try to convince you that Christianity is a crock, you need to find your own way on that one, but the :( at the end of your post says it all.
[/quote]

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1402446795' post='2473694']
You seem sad to be giving up. That to me says that you shouldn't. Of course I'm not going to tell anybody what to do but if something makes me unhappy, I wouldn't do it.
[/quote]

+1

How many 'Introductions' do we see that read along the lines of 'gave up playing x years ago and just getting back into it now after many years regretting it'?

I know many of you wont understand the reasons fully, but thanks for the encouraging words. :)

After spending quite some time praying that I'm doing the right thing, I've found it's because music has always been an idol to me. One of the first things I do in the morning & last things I do at night is read about music & come on here (still doing it too!). Every spare minute if I'm not on here, I'm playing my bass or playing about with something related to music.
It needs to be broken so that I have no idols. Once this has been done, then maybe music can be part of my life & not be idolised by me.

Doing this has a strange feeling with it, very similar to when I quit smoking. I feel like I'm breaking free, but there's a part that is sad that the good parts shall be missed.
It's not about the playing of an instrument, but my relationship with instruments.

If I'm to be a musician, I'm sure it will be. I can always buy another bass/pedalboard/rig, I might come back to keys or to an instrument I've never played before like cello or sax.
If it's my calling to praise God in worship songs, then most churches have their own instruments.

Maybe God is just like the rest of you & hates it when I play a bit of slap bass & he's had enough. :ph34r:

I dont really understand your reasons it is only music its not like you are doing anything wrong how about playing in a Christian church band? then you can still enjoy your music and commit to your religious beliefs at the same time. But whatever you do I wish you happiness and good luck :)

As I am not a religious man I have absolutely no idea how you would have arrived at this decission. Could you not control the whole idols thought process without resorting to total abstinence of something you enjoy?

Bottom line though... Whatever the reason may be, give up if you want to give up and keep playing if you don't.. If you decide further down the line to take it up again then do that :) Sod what everyone else thinks, do whatever you like.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1402469283' post='2473729']
I know many of you wont understand the reasons fully, but thanks for the encouraging words. :)

After spending quite some time praying that I'm doing the right thing, I've found it's because music has always been an idol to me. One of the first things I do in the morning & last things I do at night is read about music & come on here (still doing it too!). Every spare minute if I'm not on here, I'm playing my bass or playing about with something related to music.
It needs to be broken so that I have no idols. Once this has been done, then maybe music can be part of my life & not be idolised by me.

Doing this has a strange feeling with it, very similar to when I quit smoking. I feel like I'm breaking free, but there's a part that is sad that the good parts shall be missed.
It's not about the playing of an instrument, but my relationship with instruments.

If I'm to be a musician, I'm sure it will be. I can always buy another bass/pedalboard/rig, I might come back to keys or to an instrument I've never played before like cello or sax.
If it's my calling to praise God in worship songs, then most churches have their own instruments.

Maybe God is just like the rest of you & hates it when I play a bit of slap bass & he's had enough. :ph34r:
[/quote]

I think you have exactly the right attitude. All power to you.

And, yes, Your God will hate it when you slap a bass. :D

Edited by BassBus