Why become a member? ×

Coldplay album review. (Possibly a bit harsh!! :) )

fretmeister

I predict that this thread will go:

3 posts agreeing with OP
1 post saying hang on a minute chaps, we're all musicians
2 posts from latecomers having mega lolz at said review.
A series of posts condeming the OP for being anti-musician and calling for him to be hung
1 post from the Coldplay bass player's mum saying actually, it's quite funny.
Lock.

Review is funny! Certainly worth a chuckle.......

Have to say I'm enjoying the album after a couple of listens. Its Coldplay, so its always going to get panned by people. I'd be intrigued to know how many people that do pan it have given it a go.

Mylo Xyloto did nothing for me at all, this is better IMO.

Bits of the review are faintly amusing, but I don't need to hear the album to know they'll still be peddling the exact same insipid, diluted U2-circa-Unforgettable-Fire knock-off slop that's made America love them so very hard.

Just as well they're so incredibly easy to ignore, they pretty much barely exist in the first place.

Jon.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1400592157' post='2455210']
Can't say I made it to the end of any of the tunes they did on Jools recently. If the source of inspiration is the breakup of a long term relationship it's hardly going to be very upbeat though is it?
[/quote]

They've always sounded pretty miserable mind, even when Christ Martin WAS shagging Gwyneth Paltrow - if that couldn't bring the occasional smile to his face then the breakup album was never going to be a barrel of laughs, was it?

In contrast you have a guy like Josh Homme who suffers complications during routine surgery on his knee in 2011 and almost dies on the operating table, spends 2 weeks in hospital, then is bed-ridden for the next four months, during which time he descends into a deep depression... and out of that produces 'Like Clockwork'.

[quote name='stingraybassman' timestamp='1400595355' post='2455282']
Surely there is room for some miserable sad music? There are loads of bands that do it better than Coldplay granted.

Bon Iver records are incredibly melancholic affairs, still some of the most amazing music I have ever heard.
[/quote]

This isn't a thread slagging off miserable sad music, it's a thread specifically slagging off Coldplay.
Never understood all the hostility towards them myself. They're not the sort of thing I listen to, but what I have heard by them was OK - I've certainly heard a lot worse.

I love miserable sad music BTW - it's the happy sh*t I can't stand.....

Edited by RhysP

Megalolz.

The vocal sample at the beginning of track Another's arms is the singer I'm currently working with, Jane Weaver from her "Fallen by Watchbird" CD.
They forgot to clear it and a few long transatlantic phone calls were had. ;)
I liked Parachutes, but not much else.

When it became apparent that the 'reviewer' is hopelessly addicted to the exclamation mark and the word 'f***ing', I lost interest. I suppose it's probably funny in a Frankie Boyle sort of way.

Edited by UglyDog

'I don't have to knit my breakfast anymore' - classic.

I thought it a fine review, well-written and with a decent amount of swearing.

Well done review-fella.

P.S. I'm not a CP hater, they're a bit 'meh', but each to their own. I thought it was just funny. He must have REALLY hated it!

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1400604548' post='2455393']
When it became apparent that the 'reviewer' is hopelessly addicted to the exclamation mark and the word 'f***ing', I lost interest. I suppose it's probably funny in a Frankie Boyle sort of way.
[/quote]

Insomuch that he is saying what most people think, but are to polite to mention?

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1400604548' post='2455393']
[/quote]

Frankie actually IS funny. That review was just an arrogant reviewer who's up his own chuff with his own sense of self f***ing importance.

I'm not defending Coldplay, I liked them a lot early on, they were a great band, but I've not liked the way they developed because it just not my thing. Doesn't mean it's a load of f***ing f***ing f*** though, does it.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1400615784' post='2455563']
Frankie actually IS funny. That review was just an arrogant reviewer who's up his own chuff with his own sense of self f***ing importance.

I'm not defending Coldplay, I liked them a lot early on, they were a great band, but I've not liked the way they developed because it just not my thing. Doesn't mean it's a load of f***ing f***ing f*** though, does it.
[/quote]

I didn't realise they had developed :) .

That's partly why I don't particularly like them, they're a band that promised a lot when they first appeared, and they just seem to follow the same formula each time.

They even had Brian Eno produce them, I couldn't hear what he'd actually done.