Why become a member? ×

Do I want a stingray?

Pinball

I've been ambivalent about modern (90s and onwards) Stingrays even though I played them out live and recorded with them for ages. The Stingray classics though are incredible - 2 band preamp all the way.

So I would recommend checking out the stingray classic 5 and trying to find a light one. My Ray classic is under 9lbs. It sound incredible…makes other basses sounds like toys...

If you think you need one then you definitely do. If you know what they sound like as a general rule and are happy with that then go for it. They Tend to be a bit of a one trick pony, but hey, it's a hell of a trick they do! You can get some very different sounds out of it though, Bernard Edwards is the best example of how a personal technique and very dead strings can change the sound of a bass.
All the above is very true. Try one and see. If you are on a budget though. I'd go after a US SUB 5, it's what I have and love it to pieces. Its a great bass for the money and there is a 4 string up for sale right now if you are interested. I love the 2band eq on the sub, it looks and sound more like a 5 string ray, whereas the sr5 has a different body, pickup selector switch and 3 band eq. Me personally Im working on getting both, and a fretless but it might take sometime. The trouble is you need to the right band for a ray, I only use mine on some alice in chains stuff which was originally done on a spector, the rest of our set is do e on passive fenders :-(

Every time I see a live gig with an SR5 being used I'm always struck by how well they sit in the mix, occupying a space all on its own where it is clearly audible but yet still totally supportive. I think I'll have to have another one day, probably an SBMM if I can't find a reasonably priced 2nd hand US model.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1399055911' post='2440600']
I can't help with a MM but I do have a G&L 5-string with a humbucker in the 'MM' position. You are welcome to try it if you fancy a trip over to Swindon some time - but it's not for sale!
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer much appreciated but I have a supplier of those really close to me

and sounds like I do need to get myself one at some point.

Well I'm recently into stingrays, I had one 18 years ago a '95 stingray 3 band, while it was one of the best basses I had at the time I felt it was too specific in sound. Now years later I tried a pre eb stingray at a shop fell in love with the more rounded tone that one has, especially gospel like kicks really shined. I bought that bass not only co's of the tone but the necks on these are one of the smoothest most easy in the world that even goes for the eb stingrays aswell.
I'm not saying a pre eb is the way to go as the concept and pickups/preamp where never changed.. Just play a few preferrably a secondhand bass. My guess is if you like the warwick you must loooove the original stingray especially the feel of the neck.

[quote name='Brams77' timestamp='1399100689' post='2440957']
Well I'm recently into stingrays, I had one 18 years ago a '95 stingray 3 band, while it was one of the best basses I had at the time I felt it was too specific in sound. Now years later I tried a pre eb stingray at a shop fell in love with the more rounded tone that one has, especially gospel like kicks really shined. I bought that bass not only co's of the tone but the necks on these are one of the smoothest most easy in the world that even goes for the eb stingrays aswell.
I'm not saying a pre eb is the way to go as the concept and pickups/preamp where never changed.. Just play a few preferrably a secondhand bass. My guess is if you like the warwick you must loooove the original stingray especially the feel of the neck.
[/quote]
Thanks, GAS is now difficult to control...Parp!

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1399112909' post='2441114']

Thanks, GAS is now difficult to control...Parp!
[/quote]

Hehe ok;) I saw an typo in my earlier post I meant "gospel licks" not "kicks".. No seriously everyone I know who owns/owned a few types of basses always rave about the necks on stingrays. I think the whith of the nut would be comparable to you warwick only it would be more shallow back to front and ofcourse you'll get a radius board instead of the flat warwick type... Which I personally don't find ergonomical pleasant to hold.. But thats personal ofcourse;) I'm already looking forward to your comment once you have played one or two!

Edited by Brams77

Marmite basses, people seem to either love them or hate them, I am afraid I fall into the latter category, I love the look and the way they play I just can't get a sound out of them that I am happy with, I am back to my favourite Precision played through a Tech 21 Bass VT pedal

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1399024349' post='2440045']
Darker, deeper sound? Not a stingray...
[/quote]This. Unless you get a twin pickup model, that is. But then you'll need to get a US one and it won't be cheap. Instead have a look at the Ibanez ATK800 which is more than a match for the Stingray in every way. Will do the Stingray sound all day long but you can also easily get the 'deeper, darker' sounds you're after as well.

[quote name='MindGoneBlank' timestamp='1399759155' post='2447471']
This. Unless you get a twin pickup model, that is. But then you'll need to get a US one and it won't be cheap. Instead have a look at the Ibanez ATK800 which is more than a match for the Stingray in every way. Will do the Stingray sound all day long but you can also easily get the 'deeper, darker' sounds you're after as well.
[/quote]
I happily disagree :)

It's a cultural thing, isn't it? One that would stand some interesting investigation.

That Ibanez isn't a bad looking bass and I'm sure plays and sounds great. But, there will be few people interested in a Stingray who would be also interested in an Ibanez.

Could hardly say the Ibanez is bland but has no more than a passing interest for me. Is there something brutal, crude yet elegant about the 'Ray (and, indeed, most of Leo's creations) which the luxury of the Ibanez misses? Certainly the Ibanez might try to mimic the 'Ray's sounds etc, but never the other way round.

Why is this?

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1399024486' post='2440047']
Stingray sound crap when I practicing or jamming at home. When it comes to gig time it is a swiss knife.
[/quote]

Interesting comment. I can never make my mind up about a bass when I try them out at home or in a music store. For me it is all about how the instrument sits in a live gig situation.
Regarding a stingray, I have tried a couple over the years and found them to be on the heavy side and would not describe their sound as dark.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1399812408' post='2447877']
Interesting comment. I can never make my mind up about a bass when I try them out at home or in a music store. For me it is all about how the instrument sits in a live gig situation.
[/quote]

+1 that's what I find so difficult.I desperately wanted to use a jazz and wasted far too long messing around. I got the sound close to what I wanted in the band but was never happy

[quote name='MindGoneBlank' timestamp='1399759155' post='2447471']
This. Unless you get a twin pickup model, that is. But then you'll need to get a US one and it won't be cheap. Instead have a look at the Ibanez ATK800 which is more than a match for the Stingray in every way. Will do the Stingray sound all day long but you can also easily get the 'deeper, darker' sounds you're after as well.
[/quote]

At the moment I get a lot of good feedback about the Prestige SR that I'm using currently so maybe it is worth thinking about, even if not exactly a MM as stated in subsequent posts.

Thanks again. I'm not rushing into anything at the moment

Edited by Pinball

I used to have an old 2 band Stingray that I ended up selling as I didn't quite get on with it.
Saw this Ed Friedland vid recently and realised I was so young when I had mine that I probably didn't experiment enough with the tone controls.
I often wonder what I could get out of it today if I still owned it, what it really was capable of.

Check it out..

Music Man Classic StingRay 4- & 5-String Basses: http://youtu.be/TlMStrT5A6M

Hi PInball,

I read this thread with interest
For years I didn't particularly care for Stingrays

Lately though, I played one and started to see what the fuss was all about
I traded one in for a Warwick I owned - which I wasn't getting on quite so well with....

I loved the Warwick sound, but found all the controls overly fussy,
and struggled to get my sound consistently good
Perhaps this was due to other band members adjusting their sounds,
and me trying to compensate, to get something that sat better in the mix

Re the neck. I always preferred slimmer, narrower necks
but have leaned more to a neck wider at the heel lately
That's personal preference again, but it's also dictated by what you are playing...
I'm doing more finger-style now, and re-experimenting with slap, and I'm playing less pick
Of course, the size of your fingers will also contribute to playing style here.....

I have to say that the playability of my new MM is great,
the neck is absolutely fabulous
and I'm happy I can get a sound that sits right in the mix,
without having to fiddle too much with lots of controls

I'm so glad I got my MM
but I'm amazed at how your own tastes and preferences can change

I'd say you're right in not rushing into anything
but as others have said, try a couple out
I'm so glad I got to try one properly
and even more pleased I actually got one :)

Good luck with trying some out
and let us know what you decide

Marc

OK thanks, I don't mind buying and selling again if things don't work out but in this case there are two things that are holding me back.
Cost, to get an American one its going to cost me more or as much as I have spent on any other to date (spent £750 on a Sandburg once) and wweight. I have had shoulder issues so am hesitant at buying basses much over 9ibs.

I always aspired to own a Stingray after I first heard one/had sight of one. Now I own a few, at least, at once.

If you want a Stingray, don't compromise. Buy a Stingray.

No other bass/preamp/pickup has that raspy, bizarre and interesting tone. Virtually all of the preamp/pickup boutique copies sound somehow sterile to me.

All of the HH/HS/H basses and either 2 EQ or 3 EQ will get you that tone. 2EQ vs 3EQ is slightly different, but not by much.

I've owned loads of 5 strings and the neck on the SR5 suits me perfectly, it's my benchmark for how a neck should be but for some the string spacing is too small and they prefer 35" scale on a 5er.

Now having said that I didn't find the (us early) stingray nice to play (or for me, playable), I played a sub ray yesterday, and found it a lot better, to the point where I wouldn't be averse to having one, it was very different. Which I thought was odd.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1400429917' post='2453740']
I've owned loads of 5 strings and the neck on the SR5 suits me perfectly, it's my benchmark for how a neck should be but for some the string spacing is too small and they prefer 35" scale on a 5er.
[/quote]
Well I prefer 34 inch 5'ers and am not worried about close spacings. Having had basses from 34" to 37" I can't see or hear any advantage with longer scales and my style of play.

I'm narrowing it down due to economics and weight. I'd like a Ray35 with matching headstock if I can find one. The only real alternative that grabs me is an Ibanez ATK805.

Edited by Pinball