Why become a member? ×

Do I want a stingray?

Pinball

I've recently fancied the look of a Ray, so tried a 5 stringer for a recent gig. Played great, and it sounded good too, but I just couldn't get a sound that I liked for the gig out of one. The twin humbucker layout on my G&L is much better, and when I want to, I can easily get a Stingray sound from it, plus much, much more!

Hi pinball, based on the guitars you plays as I know them ie surveyors, you would get on just fine with a stingray 5 no problem.
I have had many stingray 5's over the years but recently I was getting some hunger for a 4 string stingray, In the end I got hold of a usa sub series 1, for under £400.
If you want a stingray at a cheap price, get an original sub bass, there out of the californian factory, there is a sub 5 on ebay at the moment, there only 2 band eq but believe me thats all you need, and afte rall you can always stick an east in it later making it a 3band.
Do not confuse this with the stirling's or stirling sub's

No-one else has mentioned this - when I tried out a Ray, I found that you get the same sound whether you play soft or really dig in. I can see how this would be useful, but I didnt get on with it, I like to vary my sound by varying technique, which the Ray didnt respond to.

But the Sterling really is a nice beast.

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1400433537' post='2453810']
No-one else has mentioned this - when I tried out a Ray, I found that you get the same sound whether you play soft or really dig in. I can see how this would be useful, but I didnt get on with it, I like to vary my sound by varying technique, which the Ray didnt respond to.

[/quote]

Maybe no-one mentioned it because they don't find this.

Update: I went around a few Bristol yestarday and tried a few MM types. It confirmed that I do want a stingray. I tried a black USA mm in PMT that was really nice. They also had the cheaper Subs in so I was able to compare them. I played a 5 string Sub that was great value at £350, very well made and sounded good to me. It would make a fantastic first or gigging bass. The USA one had something extra though. I also tried and Ibanez attack 200 (cheapest in their range) which did nothing for me. I suspect if I'm going to have to pay a bit more and get a nice one to be happy with it.
What I liked was the sound as soon as you pick it up, no nonsense basses.

Edited by Pinball

[/quote]

That's... surprising to me. :huh:

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1400829255' post='2457268']
What I liked was the sound as soon as you pick it up, no nonsense basses.
[/quote]

Same here.
I keep messing about with other basses, Jazz in particular although lately Precision too... but I always go back to a Stingray in one form or another. It just works for me, sound and feel-wise.

Of course, other people feel the same about other types of bass, and that's ok. There's no universally "best" bass for anything.

[/quote]
Dunno, I [u]always[/u] dig in.

Sounds like its just me then. I didnt find that with the SUB I owned for a while, but I did find it with the couple of new Rays I tried out last year.

Or it could have been the amp I used in the shop? Youve got me interested now, I'll have to hunt down a new Ray to try out.

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1400956199' post='2458604']
Sounds like its just me then. I didnt find that with the SUB I owned for a while, but I did find it with the couple of new Rays I tried out last year.

Or it could have been the amp I used in the shop? Youve got me interested now, I'll have to hunt down a new Ray to try out.
[/quote]

I wonder if the amp had some heavy compression engaged or something. The Ray and the old American SUBs are pretty much indistinguishable, tonewise (except that some SUBs appeared to be wired with the coils in series, and those have a bit more punch).

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1401009865' post='2458956']
Are modern Rays the same as the classic Rays?
[/quote]

Not quite, the pre-amp's slightly different on the Classic, based on a pre-eb 78 'ray. There's quite a difference in the treble sound between the two.

Also the Classic has through body stringing, though the jury's still out on whether that makes any difference...

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1401019489' post='2459148']
Not quite, the pre-amp's slightly different on the Classic, based on a pre-eb 78 'ray. There's quite a difference in the treble sound between the two.

Also the Classic has through body stringing, though the jury's still out on whether that makes any difference...
[/quote]

Certainly regarding tone, but it's a better engineering solution.

Don't the Classics have the slab bodies of the earlier 'Rays too?

I bought a Stingray recently (albeit an OLP version) and modded it to include a Nordstrand MM 4.2 pickup and a John East MM 2 Band preamp. I must admit - having come from a Fender background, the tone has taken a bit of getting used to. I'm very much a 'plug and play' bass player and usually just have my amp EQ set totally flat, and the tone/volume controls on a bass maxed. However, I've had to take a very different approach to playing with a Stingray. I find the midrange of the Stingray quite unmusical - I suppose this is to be expected by having a humbucker at the bridge position. I have had to cut the mids considerably on the amp, as well as back off on the bass boost control onboard, but have found a lovely sweet tone which fits perfectly in the soul band I play in. It has justified it's purchase thankfully!

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1401009865' post='2458956']
Are modern Rays the same as the classic Rays?
[/quote]

The standard modern Ray in 2 band EQ single H form is electronically similar to a 79 onwards pre EB. It has body contours and an improved 6 bolt neck joint, oil and wax finished neck , 11 in radius neck, plastic battery box flip top, and excellent thumb wheel truss rod adjuster all of which differ from a pre EB. They are top load bridge (which pre EBs went to in about 1980). The Classic 2 band Ray model has the slab body, strings through bridge, mute loaded bridge, chrome battery box cover and finished neck of the pre EB, and a number of other nice cosmetic enhancements like heavily figured maple necks. They also have a 7.5 in radius neck - not sure what the radius of pre EB necks was.

There are umpteen other models including 3 band EQ, HS or HH pick up variants, a massive variety of colours and three fingerboard variants.

I can tell you I've compared recordings made 'back in the day' with my pre EB Ray and some made recently with my EBMM Classic Ray and they're very similar indeed.

For anyone who's thinking whether or not they need a Ray, the simple answer is go and try some. The HH compared to the H alone is like trying to compare a jazz to a precision in Fender speak. There is tons of variation available in sound, and for a skilled player able to vary playing style they can be a Swiss Army knife of basses - even in H form. The Ed Friedland video shows this to good effect.

Edited by drTStingray

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've taken the plunge. A very black Sterling Ray35 so lets hope its a nice as described.

Link here:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201099881305?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by Pinball

Congrats - nice bass - remember the blade switch position at the bridge end is parallel wiring and classic Stingray sound - and towards the neck is series which is a fattened up tone with more mids. Centre is series with filter (to replicate single coil).

Thanks, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1402142893' post='2470398']
Congrats - nice bass - remember the blade switch position at the bridge end is parallel wiring and classic Stingray sound - and towards the neck is series which is a fattened up tone with more mids. Centre is series with filter (to replicate single coil).
[/quote]

OK thanks.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1402348531' post='2472585']
YES! Seriously, everyone needs a stingray in their life.
[/quote]

Indeed
I'm only a recent convert to the world of the Stingray bass
but it's a move I'm glad I made.....

Enjoy your Stingray - I'm sure you will :)

Edited by Marc S