Why become a member? ×

Not gig? What do you mean 'not gig'?

Bilbo

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1396448581' post='2413778']
I've never had a problem with gig nerves in my life, I just absolutely hate gigging.

I have absolutely no want, need or desire to provide entertainment for strangers, I hate all the hassle of loading in & out, I hate the hanging around for hours before playing & more than anything[b] I hate the enforced pseudo-camaraderie that being in a band always entails.[/b]

I love playing, writing & recording but gigging is, for me, just one big negative experience.
[/quote]
Try getting in a band where there's genuine camaraderie then...

After gigging with a band for three years, I discovered that I don't really enjoy it. Dealing with drunk people, loading in and out, carting my gear up and down three flights of stairs, playing the same songs every week. And at the moment, I'm not really enjoying jamming with others either, but I'm sure I'll get the itch again soon in that respect. I think I just need a break from it.

I've decided that I'm going to stick to being a bedroom bassist from now on, at least for the foreseeable future. I can play what I want, when I want, and how I want to. And I enjoy it :)

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1396448581' post='2413778']
I've never had a problem with gig nerves in my life, I just absolutely hate gigging.

I have absolutely no want, need or desire to provide entertainment for strangers, I hate all the hassle of loading in & out, I hate the hanging around for hours before playing & more than anything I hate the enforced pseudo-camaraderie that being in a band [b]always[/b] entails.

I love playing, writing & recording but gigging is, for me, just one big negative experience.
[/quote]

Whoa, slow down there chief. Not all bands are the same. I have had the great fortune to be in bands with people I genuinely count as friends, and remain friends with most of the people I've to be in bands with - in fact, there's only one person I used to be in a band with that I'd rather have nothing to do with. That's in 6 years. No faux-camaraderie here, and I wouldn't stick around in a band where I felt that was going on.

Your other grumbles are on the money though ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1396612697' post='2415674']
Whoa, slow down there chief. Not all bands are the same. I have had the great fortune to be in bands with people I genuinely count as friends, and remain friends with most of the people I've to be in bands with - in fact, there's only one person I used to be in a band with that I'd rather have nothing to do with. That's in 6 years. No faux-camaraderie here, and I wouldn't stick around in a band where I felt that was going on.
[/quote]

I was speaking purely from my own perspective & experience.
The whole "blokey, let's be in a gang" thing seems to be a very big part of why people like being in bands but I absolutely f***ing hate that side of it & it's that more than anything else that makes being in a band/gigging a really miserable experience for me.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1396610345' post='2415631']

A ridiculous comparison at the end, but going back to your main point....
[/quote]

I'd like to think it was a ridiculous comparison, but comments like this . . . .

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1396595487' post='2415413']
Well, I'm no ego-driven soul, but even so, the gig's the thing. Quite apart from putting food on the table, there's no point in playing if you don't gig.
[/quote]

. . . were why I made it.

It seems to me that the world of musicianship is divided into those who play music for the sheer love of it and those who play music as a job for the money. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it would go some way to explain the polarised views being expressed and the generally demeaning tone when mentioning 'bedroom bassists' or people who are happy to gig for no financial reward.

Surely music is a gift that can be rewarding in so many ways?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1396616914' post='2415725']
Surely music is a gift that can be rewarding in so many ways?
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. As someone who would class themselves in the 'musician for a job' category, I always feel that if I can't offer something extra (professionalism, quality of musicianship, standard of playing etc) over the guys who go out and gig for free, then I don't deserve to be making money or to call myself a 'working' musician.

The main thing that separates all of us as bassists is practice. I practice as much in a day as some of the local guys who play for free do in a month (maybe longer). That develops skills (reading for example) that ensures I get jobs that pay and if they choose not to develop those skills because they are happy with gigging for free, open mic nights or bedroom playing etc, that's cool too.

Like you say, people practice enough to get to a standard they are happy with and to enjoy the pleasure/opportunities that brings. That's what it's all about :-)

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1396612553' post='2415670']
After gigging with a band for three years, I discovered that I don't really enjoy it. Dealing with drunk people, loading in and out, carting my gear up and down three flights of stairs, playing the same songs every week. And at the moment, I'm not really enjoying jamming with others either, but I'm sure I'll get the itch again soon in that respect. I think I just need a break from it.

I've decided that I'm going to stick to being a bedroom bassist from now on, at least for the foreseeable future. I can play what I want, when I want, and how I want to. And I enjoy it :)
[/quote]. Spot on.!!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1396618870' post='2415744']
I couldn't agree more. As someone who would class themselves in the 'musician for a job' category, I always feel that if I can't offer something extra (professionalism, quality of musicianship, standard of playing etc) over the guys who go out and gig for free, then I don't deserve to be making money or to call myself a 'working' musician.

The main thing that separates all of us as bassists is practice. I practice as much in a day as some of the local guys who play for free do in a month (maybe longer). That develops skills (reading for example) that ensures I get jobs that pay and if they choose not to develop those skills because they are happy with gigging for free, open mic nights or bedroom playing etc, that's cool too.

Like you say, people practice enough to get to a standard they are happy with and to enjoy the pleasure/opportunities that brings. That's what it's all about :-)
[/quote]

Hmm. You seem to assume that people who play for money are more proficient than those who play purely for pleasure. I seriously doubt that's always the case.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1396612303' post='2415666']
Try getting in a band where there's genuine camaraderie then...
[/quote]

One of the two bands I'm doing at the moment is a three-piece, we've been in bands together before and we all get along very well, there's no blokey nonsense either. Thankfully the other two guys are also sick of gigging. :)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1396646877' post='2416153']

Hmm. You seem to assume that people who play for money are more proficient than those who play purely for pleasure. I seriously doubt that's always the case.
[/quote]

Not at all. I'm just saying that for me, it takes a lot of practice to be good enough to play gigs that people pay me for and I'm happy to put that work in because it is required to get MY playing to the standard it needs to be getting paid gigs as that is one of my expectations of my playing. The AMOUNT of practice or level of playing is irrelevant. If Pino decided tomorrow that he only wanted to do an open mic night once a month and he got pleasure from that, then fair enough and if he decided he wanted to practice 8 hours a day and gig every night of the week to a 60,000 seater arena then fair enough.

Practice enough to get the playing opportunities you want to make you happy. If that's bedroom playing along to a track in your bedroom or playing a track to the Glastonbury crowd, it's all good!

Edited by skej21

Gigging is the only area of my life where a group of complete strangers give me a round of applause and whistles for something I have done and I enjoy it. Nobody cheers and whistles and shouts when I do my job right. I'm not a show off or an extrovert, but when it comes to playing my bass, I know that without me the band would sound rubbish, and I like being part of a small team the gives the punters a good night and rewards them for getting off their sofas on a Saturday night and making he effort. Without gigs there would be no point In me playing.

I don't do gigs for the overt 'look at me' approach but suspect that deep down there is an element in that
in the whole band thing from my POV.
But I have found the easiest way to make me want to stop playing is to do 'crap' gigs... silly loads-in,
rough pub, no space, etc etc ..and so always approach pubs as too much work for the money.
That isn't to say we don't do them, but they are loss leaders...( not least because some pubs don't want to pay enough
and we have a minimum cost ) but we consider ourselves a party band. We wouldn't do functions or weddings unless
the client knows what we are like as we will not alter the set for the gig. We have to compromise to a small degree
and incorporate a few dance tracks ( like Get Lucky ) but only we have a great groove going on it.
I think we basically think we can educate the punters with our choice of music, but by the same token, find ourselves
picking numbers that would fit great at some point in the set at some gig.
All these things evolve and as long as the song works and we have a good time, all the rest is the bonus.
I am not saying you can be oblivious to what makes ppl come and see you but we feel we play well and have a good set of songs.
Some songs fit a certain gig bias and some REALLY don't...
For example, Sex of Fire can be a sh*te song but we may do it if we feel like it ...but just as soon as wont. It is normally a throw away song
right at the very end..but not good enough for an encore..

You just have to think about what you want to achieve...but playing rough pubs to 12 people would make me very jaded very quickly and I wouldn't last long.
I've taken time out before... and was glad to get back after 2 years or so, but I don't want burn-out again.
That is why we vet all the gigs that come in..and the more popular you get, the easier this is to be able to do....

Flyfisher, all I said is what works for me. How you read into that a downer on people who don't gig, I'm not sure.
Rhys P, I have sympathy for some of what you say also.
The point being that there's a good and bad side to gigging, no question.

I can completely understand why people don't want to gig. Sometimes it's an awful lot of effort for little or no reward. But if your reasons are because the venues are crap and you don't want to spend time with the other band members, I would suggest that you are playing the wrong places with the wrong band.

Yep, I don't want to gig in crap venues, ( my definition of crap includes too small playing area, too small viewing area, wrong punters, stupid load-in in, bad pay, etc etc etc ) and it is the venue that is wrong or unsuitable as far as I am concerned, not the band.

Some may find this a surprise but I know there'll come a time when I stop gigging - and I mean well before I get physically incapable. I've been gigging now for 35 years. That's thousands of gigs. I definitely don't enjoy it as much as I did. One of these days , probably sooner than later , I'll stop and move on to the next thing. Life's too big to do anything forever in my opinion. I often think I'd like to try acting in some form. Venues changing or vanishing and audience indifference don't concern me at all - I've never paid punters much respect and have always considered landlords and small time promoters a bunch of clueless tossers. I've always done it soley for my own enjoyment and the joy of playing with my peers. So when I stop it'll be for me alone , not because I feel driven to by others. I certainly don't feel too old. just the opposite. I feel young enough to say ' that was good...now , what's next? '

I understand that the live music market is where money is made nowadays, hence why record companies recoup advances from live performance as well as record sales (360 deals).

Also you're unlikely to get any kind of record company attention unless there's a 'buzz' around you. Ok that can come from internet and band camp etc, but more likely a following from live gigs.

I guess people gig for different reasons.

My gigs have been relatively limited over the last year, mainly the odd dep or jazz workshop. Mainly because I have found it really hard to find either a decent originals band or even an interesting covers band!

I don't need to gig for the money (though it's always welcome!) and am more interested in writing interesting original music i.e. something a bit more sophisticated than the average top 40 pop song (!). The jazz stuff I am motivated by improving my playing and understanding of music.

But I do miss it... probably why I try and visit open mic nights when I can for a performance fix!

Gigging is my only option these days. We're expecting our first baby in June and the money I earn from gigging is what will allow Mrstcat to have a decent amount of maternity leave. If playing didn't bring in cash then I'd have to get a bar job or something to supplement our income.

For me a great gig is the essence of what I wanted to do when I started playing in 1982. over the years bad experiences didn't change this but helped me to play more great gigs :) you need great people around you to achieve this and if you find them, try to keep this company and you might get even more great gigs. I love studiowork, too. but nothing can beat the energy at a great gig!