Why become a member? ×

How often do you gig your own rig?

Roland Rock

I've been doing some working out. In the last two years, only at around 40% of gigs have I been using my own rig. Of those, only 20% don't go through the PA.

That's four gigs in two years where I get to hear purely my own amp, undiluted by PA
That's about £375 per gig :-D

Is it really worth the time, effort and money we put into getting our perfect rig?
The answer, illogically, is yes.

Edited by Roland Rock

The occasions where I don't use my own rig are things like festivals where there is a hired rig, or multi-band lineups where another band is supplying the rig (a large proportion of our gigs are multi-band jobs) It's not a matter of my rig not being portable, but swapping rigs seems so much hassle in terms of stage space, extra time, and soundguy disapproval.

100% of our gigs are at a place with in house PA and engineer, and they are usually keen to put the bass through the PA, even if it's a small venue. I suppose they like the control.

Edited by Roland Rock

Over the past 5 years I'd estimate I've used my own backline 95% of the time, and I can only remember 2 occasions when my own amp was DI'd into the supplied and engineered PA (usually charity events). I rarely need to DI into our own band PA.

I'm happy with my gear.

Cheers

Geoff

Can't recall when I last didn't use mine...
I'll call ahead if there is an option of supply, but
invaribly I still will use mine.

Don't tend to do free multi bills unless the exposure is very very good
and the set time is decent.

So that is nothing free and nothing less than 45 mins playing time.

Once out the last 112 gigs I've used someone else's stuff (which was a massive TC Blacksmith with 8x10!). For 98 of those I used only my SWR Workingman's 10 that I bought for £120. £1.05 a gig!

I suppose it's different for cover bands when typically you'll be the only act on the night. If I were in an originals band I'm sure I'd use my own rig much less.

Truckstop

I think living in a city centre and playing in originals bands makes a difference. When we do shorter sets at multi-band gigs, gear sharing or using the house rig make much more sense. Most of the sound in these venues comes through the FOH anyway, so the amp is primarily a monitor. Edinburgh is not very car-friendly, so if I can avoid driving to a gig I will. This is one of the reasons I sold my valve amp, as it wasn't getting gigged that often and when it was, the audience were hearing only hearing the DI in many venues.
My larger 2x12" cab only gets gigged a few times per year at the moment (though it got more use when my band was hosting a monthly night), but I take out my small rig (EA Wizzy 10 and GK MB200) whenever we do the the smaller pubs.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I can tell you almost exactly (memory allowing as I don't record this detail) but it's 25-23 in favour of using my own gear. Own gear tends to get used at weird venues (out in the country, private parties, hotels, marquees) and most of the venues I've played at which favour original music tend to have house gear, or I've been fortunate enough to be the beneficiary of a gear share agreement.

But I don't really care about the minute details of "my sound" in a live environment nor the amount of use/value for money my rig represents. It's there if I need it, I can bring the noise if I have to, but I also look forward to a nice easy town gig where I can just turn up with a bass and a bag o' bits, play my tunes then have a few beers, toddle off home on foot/in a taxi. As long as I can hear myself on stage, I'm a happy bass player. Some of the times when I've used my own gear, the sound engineer has plonked a DI box between my bass and amp anyway and handled FOH sound his or herself. So it's "my sound" on stage, but it's in their hands from the audience's point of view. C'est la vie, I just want to get some playing done and get some people bobbing along.

ill try to always at least use my head, but for pretty all my current bands gigs ive used my own, well bar the last gig where we (bassists) decided to use one rig that the first band used.

i can change how things sound by using my board or how i play ( i now switch alot between finger an pick) so if i have to i dnt mind using someone elses rig also if the band is on before me gives me a chance to hear the rig, i also dnt like it when sound guys put the di before my amp, recently ive asked for the cab to be mic'd and they hav just done that with no di.

however my fav thing is when the backline has no pa support and i can let the otb 1000 and 810 ashdown go a bit louder!

andy

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1395215638' post='2399737']
The occasions where I don't use my own rig are things like festivals where there is a hired rig, or multi-band lineups where another band is supplying the rig (a large proportion of our gigs are multi-band jobs) It's not a matter of my rig not being portable, but swapping rigs seems so much hassle in terms of stage space, extra time, and soundguy disapproval.

[/quote]
+ 1
Even in the situations where there is a rig, it usually isn't something I find I like the sound of so I tend to bring my pre-amp and take a DI out to the PA and again depending on the rig I plug the pre-amp into the return to the power amp section of the head but it's never set up loud just a fill in for my monitor feed.

Jazzyvee

I use my own gear at almost every gig. As others have posted, only time I use a supplied backline is at festivals, and prefer not to do that if there is time to change the gear. Never played through organizer supplied gear that is anywhere near as good a sound as my Ashdown/Barefaced rig.

It depends on my gig, in the wedding band I always use my own amp, but in the original band it really depends. I almost always bring my own head, or small combo to a gig, but often for short gigs with a few bands I use the house gear or one ore the other bands stuff. Sometimes I let other bands use my gear, but it depends on the band. I need my gear to be working or I can't play wedding gigs, and they pay the bills.

I've only played one venue who wouldn't let me use my own rig, initially when I heard this I was a bit confused, but once I arrived I understood. The Moorings bar in Aberdeen has a great in house setup, an ampeg, a Marshall and some other nice guitar amp and drum kit. It's all on stage in position to get the most out of the space and save time setting up. Because of that and an engineer who knew what he was doing, it was my favourite small(ish) venue I've ever played.

I prefer to use my own rig, but don`t have a problem using a provided rig is it`s a swift changeover type gig. Last night I used a Behringer Ultrabss, wasn`t bad, was an open-mic night so no chance of soundcheck or anything so got what I thought sounded right. Apparently not too good in the mix, so that`s the danger - the whole band end up without the right overall sound. Still, far happier to have done the gig (3 songs) with other peoples gear, than to have not done it.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1395215638' post='2399737']
The occasions where I don't use my own rig are things like festivals where there is a hired rig, or multi-band lineups where another band is supplying the rig (a large proportion of our gigs are multi-band jobs) It's not a matter of my rig not being portable, but [i][b]swapping rigs seems so much hassle in terms of stage space, extra time, and soundguy disapproval[/b][/i].

100% of our gigs are at a place with in house PA and engineer, and they are [i][b]usually keen to put the bass through the PA, even if it's a small venue. I suppose they like the control.[/b][/i]
[/quote]

My rules are usually something along the lines of 'you can do as you please as long as you A: let me know what the plan is and B: make sure you're where you're needed to be and ready to play when needed' Other than that, it's usually all good with me.

As for putting the bass in the PA, if it's big enough for kick-drum then it should handle bass guitar too. And IMO, if you're not doing one, then don't do the other or conversely if you are doing one, then do the other too. In terms of mix, they should sonically 'fit' so to have control of both helps to shape the bottom end of the mix as these are often the first to be 'lost'.. Just my pennies worth.. :D

When it comes to using my rig, I often use my own (not that I've done many in the last 18 months) but if I can't, I do try to use my own head and EQ unit. Assuming a half decent speaker cabinet is available of course. Failing that, I'll take my combo.