Why become a member? ×

My last gig with KIT RICHARDSON - supporting Francesca Belmonte (Tricky) @ The Barfly - London NW1 - Thurs 20 March 2014

xilddx

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1395275760' post='2400671']
IME if a musician is only interested in money then they should have trained to be an accountant or a lawyer! A lot of musicians are overly interested in glory but at the first sniff of a bit of money become completely infatuated with it!

Onwards and upwards...
[/quote]

I just want to make it clear that everyone in Kit's band has a day job, including Kit. None of us is involved in music for the money, we are in the band (and other bands) because we are passionate about music. Of course most of us would love to make music our sole source of income, but I think we all want to be in a successful band, rather than the session/teaching/cover band/pit gig route.

Good luck Nige, you are a good musician, with plenty of contacts. Start your own project with the folk out of the band that are like minded.
Or just go for bust by forming your own new band. Or have a look at some other opportunities in your area.
Just don't do nothing, iron and hot mate!

Sorry to hear this Nige, seeing you play with Kit was one of the best nights out I've had. Best of luck with new ventures and don't throw in the towel. It's not fair on the rest of us to deprive us of your talent now we know it's there buddy.

Onwards and upwards as they say

Thanks so much guys, you are all very kind x

I'm not going to join another band for the sake of it though, I'm in two other superb outfits that give me joy, but they don't gig much and there's not much recording to be done. I think I'll see how I feel in a month or two, at the moment I just want to chill. Finding a band with a great vocalist and songwriter who is also motivated, reliable and organised ain't going to be particularly easy :D

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1395304891' post='2400810']
Thanks so much guys, you are all very kind x

I'm not going to join another band for the sake of it though, I'm in two other superb outfits that give me joy, but they don't gig much and there's not much recording to be done. I think I'll see how I feel in a month or two, at the moment I just want to chill. Finding a band with a great vocalist and songwriter who is also motivated, reliable and organised ain't going to be particularly easy :D
[/quote]

Great to hear you've still got a couple of things going to keep you happy Nige (where do you find the time man?! Haha). You never know though, every change brings new opportunity. Keep your ears down to the jungle drums and listen out for some tasty auditions. They do happen.
The best thing about being a decent bassist is walking into a good situation and making it great. Plus you've got the personality to make any band fun mate :)

Best of luck man.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1395303002' post='2400776']
I just want to make it clear that everyone in Kit's band has a day job, including Kit. None of us is involved in music for the money, we are in the band (and other bands) because we are passionate about music. Of course most of us would love to make music our sole source of income, but I think we all want to be in a successful band, rather than the session/teaching/cover band/pit gig route.
[/quote]

sad to hear of the band's demise nige, I've enjoyed hearing about Kit and seeing the youtube bits & bobs, sorry I never got to the smoke to see you guys play :(

all the best of luck to all in the band, its a tough but brave decision to call a halt to something that you've put your collective heart & soul into. I've enjoyed all of Kit's stuff you've posted here.
As someone else already said, onwards & upwards!
Cheers,
Norm

Sorry to hear the project's reached the end of its natural life. As for new directions, I recommend looking in your kitchen :) , I found our new singer lurking there and she is taking our band in directions we had never dared dream of.

First off sorry to hear it's not taken off the way it really should Nige - despite every experience I've had, hope springs eternal, so fingers crossed something else at least as good turns up for you. It'll be a hard act to follow, though.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1395258215' post='2400404']
I think I've mentioned before that our singer's lad got signed to Columbia during his first year of a music performance course at Bristol Uni and they've been pushing him everywhere. Now, he's a really nice guy and can write a catchy tune but enough 'star quality' to attract a major label? I wouldn't have said so - just goes to show what I know.
[url="http://www.thenationalstudent.com/Music/2014-02-26/George_Ezra_Cassy_O.html"]http://www.thenation...ra_Cassy_O.html[/url]
The music business works in mysterious ways.
[/quote]

Went to see George Ezra in Hebden Bridge the other week, I'd have said he definitely had what it takes: he has the looks, presence and charisma, his voice stands him out from his direct competition, and he's got some good tunes. I had a great evening.

That's a real shame, it's plain to see that you have invested significant time and energy in the band and I hope (meaning feel sure that you will) find a new project quickly.

The music is not my personal cup of tea I'm afraid, but I can see that the band deserve a decent following. If I'd been closer I would be there to support.

Best wishes to you all.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1395303002' post='2400776']

[/quote]
BTW - I wasn't having a go at you or your band in any way!

We all lose gigs we love from time to time and of course it can be very frustrating. But there is always something around the corner - a new gig and a new challenge...

Sorry to hear about the band ending. Only clicked through from the signature in one of your posts a few days ago and was impressed with what I heard - the Kate Bush comparisons are apt, as Kit has a great voice and the music is in a similarly experimental vein.

Edited by chriswareham

Thanks ever so much for your kind words guys.

I know there's a fair bit of affection on here for Kit, and we've had some wonderful support from you, at gigs, on the internet, and buying CDs. I, the band, and Kit, are deeply moved and appreciative of that. It's the end of a pretty long chapter. Kit will be relaunching herself soonish, and I know you'll love it as much as what's gone before, because I've heard some of it.

This little musical journey has been a wonderful time for me, I've learned so much, mostly to stop being a dick and play what is right, to make the song sound as close to what the songwriter wanted as possible. Everything from eq, envelope, note and space choice, timing, and dress sense :)

I really only ever wanted Kit to be recognised as I know in my heart that she's one of the most truthful and talented lyricists, songwriters, vocalists and musicians I've ever heard, let alone been in a band with. I fully expected her to be signed and be successful and a popular artist by now, but I also knew that if that happened I could not go on that path with her and I'd have tried to get a younger and better looking replacement for her via this beloved bass forum. That would have been really painful so in a way, this has all been a bit of a relief. It's just been delightful seeing and hearing her develop as an artist over the last five years, and being a part of that, she's amazing. I'm praying she gets to be a highly successful artist because she has so much to say, so much music in her soul. But she has a lot more to give than being a musician, she's also got a great future as a political activist helping change lives for the better.

I felt dead on stage tonight, almost completely emotionless. But we had a lovely little party afterward and that's when the emotions kicked in. I'm happy. And I look forward to the next band I want to join, and be accepted into.

Sorry if I sound a bit overemotional saying all this :)

Thanks again xxx

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1395364428' post='2401739']

Sorry if I sound a bit overemotional saying all this :)

Thanks again xxx
[/quote]

Knowing you and adoring you as I do Nige, I can say that your post is showing exactly the right level of emotion and honesty.

I hope that a worthy band snaps you up and I wish Kit all the luck in the world. She is a rare talent, and it's heartbreaking that she can't take her unique style to the world!

It's splendid to know I can be eloquent, measured and selfless, and hit exactly the right level of honesty and emotion, when pissed on Becks and Tequila at a quarter past one in the morning :D

I even managed to arise at 6.30am, travel to the other side of London and deliver a morning's worth of very sober health and safety advice :lol:

Cheers lovelies x

Blimey, I have an audition! For an experimental jazz project - the music is beautiful! But we'll see if I am capable of keeping up with this guy, he's a sh*t-hot composer and guitarist and I'm not a reader. I told him all this and he still wants me to try out after hearing some of my music. Totally new territory for me, I'm going to have to put some serious f***ing work in over the next week or so. But I'm very excited :)