Why become a member? ×

Oh balls.

Evil Undead

Some of you may remember a thread I started ages ago, moaning about my hand/wrist/finger pain, and a lot of folks recommended I see the doctor.

So I did.

Apparently I've got chronic tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, and ulnar nerve compression in both arms also - not sure where the ulnar is being compressed, I have to have a nerve conduction test to find that out. Either elbow or wrist but they suspect wrist due to all the other crap going on in there. And a ganglion right inside the joint on my right wrist.

Probably going to need surgery to correct. EDIT: I should mention that my GP told my I'll probably need surgery for this, it's not just my own assumption!

So, as the title says, oh balls.

I'm having more and more trouble playing bass as time goes on, even after switching to short scale. Lots of pain, a bit of tingling and numbness also. Hope they're able to sort it out.

Anyone got experiences to share with any of this sort of stuff?

Edited by Evil Undead

No Advise, but all sounds good that they seem to know what the cause is and once sorted you should be back to playing and hopefully pain free. You'll probably need to do a lot of stretching and warm ups before playing but at least you'll be playing.

I wish you good luck.

The nerve conduction test is just a little pad fixed to your finger with a small 'prickly' electric shock firing up it (not painful).
They then use another pad which they move up your arm that looks for that signal - when they lose it, that's where the compression is.

Sometimes the nerve 'moves' out of the space it's supposed to be in and it can be massaged back into place.

I had surgery on my left elbow to sort out an ulnar nerve compression.

It was uncomfortable, but that was about 20 years ago and what with medical advances, it's probably nothing like it was.

It's been fine ever since though. :)

That sucks but I hope it's something that can be corrected.

I know it's not the same but I sprained the tendons in both arms a few years ago and the physio gave me some very gentle exercises that made the absolute world of difference. I'd done the injury by overdoing it with some dumbells.Then I got overconfident once it was fixed and sprained them again. So the only advice I can give is to follow your doc's advice and take it easy and don't rush into anything before you're ready to. It'll pay off in the long term.

[b] [size=4]Bit like watching an advert on the shopping channel but I do have Dr Kertz book Injury managment and prevention for the bassist which is excellent. May be relevant here?[/size][/b]

[b] [size=4][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLDaosE67XU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLDaosE67XU[/url][/size][/b]

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1394058218' post='2387578']
Some of you may remember a thread I started ages ago, moaning about my hand/wrist/finger pain, and a lot of folks recommended I see the doctor............[/quote]

What did the sports physio say that you also said you'd go see?

Sorry to hear about your predicament, but I'll echo what bubinga5 said. Put the guitar down now!! That sounds like you've done a lot of damage (probably work as well as play). I would use whatever pain killers the doctor advises and as a minimum, support your fore-arms and wrists with something like an elastic bandage. At least they keep the arms warm and remind you that you arms/hands aren't 100%.
When she has a flare-up, Mrs Balcro occasionally uses those semi-rigid wrist supports with the velcro fastening for her arthritis related condition.

Good luck with the op and take time to recover afterwards. Then I suggest you go see a local tutor and get your posture / technique / guitar position / strap etc., checked out

Balcro.

Had a similar diagnosis with the electro pads, severe CTS in right hand arm, less severe in left. Stopped playing upright Bass and went to see an acupuncturist. Had a few treatments and I'm fine, gigging sometimes twice a week on consecutive nights.
Even if you are completely sceptical of acupuncture it can't make you worse and IMHO is a lot less invasive than surgery. An enlightened GP might even be able to refer you as it will cost a hell of a lot less than surgery.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1394061474' post='2387633']
What did the sports physio say that you also said you'd go see?
[/quote]

I haven't got that far yet, money is an issue. But this is one step.

I've edited the OP to include a clarification, and thanks very much for all the posts and PM's, I'll reply properly at lunch time. But for now, hi ho, hi ho...

Sorry to here this but, you did the right thing going to the Doc.
I've had Carpel tunnel, and Ulnar nerve opps. Carpel tunnel I've had both wrist done, each time about 6 to 8 weeks of not playing, Ulnar nerve no lay off at all. The Ulnar nerve compression was at the elbow, but as you have said it can be at the wrist although this is less common.
What I would like to let you know is I have made a full recovery, playing now is a pleasure with no pain etc. I know the prospect of an operation isn't something anybody wants but if you have the same outcome as I have had it was well worth it.
The nerve conduction test, if you have never had one is an experience. The test triggers each nerve or set of nerves in your arm/wrist, like I said an experience.
I'm all will work out fine, all the best.

Ta very glad
BIGd

Sorry to hear about this, but sounds like the problem is now known and can be treated, and very effectively if the above experiences are typical (I hope they are!).

As for the actual condition, is it 'just one of those things' or can it actually be [u]caused [/u]by bass playing in anyone or is it a pre-disposition thing?

Good Luck with everything mate. I get pains in the top of my hands, and they ache after a couple hours work. I'm getting worried as we are needing a medical to go for cruise work, and i'm hoping nothing gets picked up. I should go to the Doctors really..