Why become a member? ×

Continued Mistakes at Gigs.....how would you address this problem?

thebigyin

Sure, getting through a whole gig without dropping a note. Whether the whole band can, is less likely.
And other musicians will/should certainly notice it if that is important to you.

I think there is something else wrong if 'howlers' like the ones implied are common

I don't think anyone yet has touched on the fundamental questions... does he own either the van or the PA? :D

I've fired a friend twice (by which I mean I've always been lumbered with the job by the rest of the band), and it's bloody horrible. If it's the kind of thing that's holding you back or causing bad feeling it needs sorting. Might be worth approaching as a whole band issue though... WE'RE getting sloppy, lets stick in some extra rehearsals... WE were all messing up tonight, WE need to spend more time working on our parts. That kinda thing.

Dr Dave has it so right from my perspective. I am 'blessed' with the ability to forget (or not even remember in first place) chord sequences (beyond 12 bar). This seems to be getting 'better' with age (ie can forget more). I can remember the fill ins, passing notes etc etc no problem. I have found tolerant band members and large font crib sheets very useful. I believe leading orchestra players use something similar, they call its sheet music? score? Middle distance reading glasses and a good ear have helped. Be gentle with guitar player is best advice.

Edited by 3below

The main enabling factor in a successful band is being able to get along with the other band members. It's just a social situation really. Mistakes are completely pointless - I guarantee you not one person in the audience notices it (maybe one or two musos but why are they are your gig if they are there just to criticise?)

Would you rather have a guitarist who was flawless in every way when playing but was an arrogant imbecile? I'd say you are probably on the right side of things at the moment, frustrating as it may be sometimes.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1392148430' post='2365383']
... and does it happen at rehearsals in the same way?
[/quote]
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Is he suffering from nerves perhaps? Or maybe rocking out and throwing a few shapes on stage or something?

I'm surprised that nobody has asked the obvious question, how much alcohol is he consuming at the gigs?
In my experience this is probably the biggest cause of mistakes during a gig, so much so that I now limit myself to 1 pint at a gig even when I'm not driving. It has made a huge difference to my playing and I notice the effect it has on my band mates, I can directly correlate the number of drinks to the number and size of mistakes made by our guitarist.

+1 to drinks. The guitarist in my old band liked a drink, but the number of mistakes he was making was terrible (plus being deaf in one ear didn't help, but that's another story). I the end I had to be straight with him, no alcohol until after the gig otherwise I'm walking. This seemed to do the trick, he never drank until after a gig and his playing improved. Sounds a bit draconian, but I was worrying more about him making mistakes than on my own playing and it was frankly spoiling my enjoyment. If it's not fun then what's the point.

Another possiblity is sheer tiredness.

I dont drink and play, but if I'm properly knackered after a day at work then if I'm practicing at home I struggle to remain focused. Same at a rehearsal, althought the combined energy of the band together usually lifts me through anything other than utter exhaustion.

Gigs I'm generally running in a fairly heightened state jsut by playing a gig, but even then if I'm very tired it can be a struggle.

You cant beat just lots of practice along to rehearsal tapes though (they need to be right though, obviously) and well written crib sheets to glance at before (though not during) every run through of a track at a rehearsal or at home can really help IME.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1392143731' post='2365310']
One word - acceptance. How many gigs have I played I wonder? Well over a thousand. In how many did I not make a mistake. Not a one. Happily, my experience has taught me how to deal with them and that's the best we can do. My band mates are the same - we carry on like nothing happened. Will the punters know ?? Well - they will if you react to your mistakes like you just saw a ghost. Otherwise they're never the sharpest tools in the box and probably won't know. Plus there's always the old trick of repeating the mistake on purpose in the next verse - that's jazzzzzzzzzz !
[/quote]

How are ya doin Dave ? Missed your wit over the last few months

It's up to the OP and his band..... but I don't see how it would be good for anyone to continue like this.

Band meet time........... and bring the problem out into the open and make him aware of 'concerns'..and see how he reacts to that.

He may well have all sorts of mitigation, but the band needs to decide whether there is a time limit on any improvemnt of just run/limp to the end of the year
carrying with it any damage the issue causes..............

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1392204033' post='2365851']
He doesn't Drink and tends to make silly mistakes at rehearsals aswell.....I'm beginning to think it's Nerves? But we'll soldier on till the end of the year and see what happens.....Thanks for the interesting views and perspectives.[/quote]

Maybe he is just bricking it when you hit stage. OK, mistakes in rehearsals can be laughed off, but then they need to be worked on.

Maybe have a quiet chat with him and ask if he does get nervous playing gigs. If he does, maybe try and do something pre-gig that'll help relax him a bit. Just a thought.

It does seem to be a common issue with all but one of the guitarists that I've ever played with. The 2 in my current band included.

As he's your friend, I think the best course of action would be to have a member of the audience shoot him in the nads with a taser every time he fluffs up.

+1 on band meet!

If you've noticed then so have your band mates. Constant mistakes, especially on the same number, is an issue imo. Chances are all of you will thrash out and resolve a lot of other stuff too, which is always a bonus!

Hope you get it sorted!

Edited by Scott_LP

our guitarist probably makes more then his share of mistakes, trouble is they stand out more (only having one guitar in the band) we've asked regulars to our gigs about it and comments vary from "what mistakes" to "it's live music what do you expect", mind you it is a punk band so nobody expects perfection, in fact they'd probably be disappointed if they got it :)

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1392206599' post='2365890']
Another possiblity is sheer tiredness.

I dont drink and play, but if I'm properly knackered after a day at work then if I'm practicing at home I struggle to remain focused. Same at a rehearsal, althought the combined energy of the band together usually lifts me through anything other than utter exhaustion.

Gigs I'm generally running in a fairly heightened state jsut by playing a gig, but even then if I'm very tired it can be a struggle.

[/quote]

The tiredness issue is a real point to consider. I have also been affected by the same (as have my colleagues who are all in same line of work). One rehearsal was such an epic fail that we still laugh about today. We were like a bunch of talentless beginners starting out, the mistakes etc were monumental, so much so we gave up that night. Sheer tiredness.