Why become a member? ×

Do i need a new/better bass?

Twincam

Ok I'm coming into some money in the next 2 weeks or so.
Currently I play a epiphone eb0 which to be honest I love. It's goodlooking, has a nice thin neck, it's a nice weight.
But it's tonel range is very limited and the 3 point bridge apart from looking cool is a pain. And I guess if being honest I would like something with a bit more street cred.

I'm looking at getting a Gibson sg bass or a fender mustang.
But do I really need a better bass?. Or am I just wanting to spend money for the sake of it.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1389890906' post='2339195']
Currently I play a epiphone eb0 which to be honest I love. It's goodlooking, has a nice thin neck, it's a nice weight.
But it's tonel range is very limited and the 3 point bridge apart from looking cool is a pain. And I guess if being honest I would like something with a bit more street cred.

But do I really need a better bass?. Or am I just wanting to spend money for the sake of it.
[/quote]
silly place to ask that question lol
This place is full of long term sufferers of GAS who just can't help buying new basses just for the hell of it.
Treat yourself you're only hear once :)

if you like how it plays and sounds... why replace it..

who gives a sh*t about street cred if the gear works?

i used to play live with a behringer amp and thomann home brand cab and a 200 quid ibanez... didnt look magic but sounded good and played nicely... i still use the head from time to time.

don't replace it unless you have a real reason for, the fretboard isnt always greener on another bass

You've joined the wrong forum if you expect us to talk you out of buying new gear :D

You've said that you think that the EBO is tonally limited so I reckon looking at something else with a broader sound palet is justified. What you go for is your choice of course, but I'd look at something with not only 2 pickups but also different pickup positioning than the EBO as you've already got those covered (you obviously have a soft spot for this instrument and you don't mention that you'll be moving it on) something like a Fender Jazz or similar layout from another manufacturer. Something like this will give you the broader palet that you're after and also something different from what you already have.

The answer to that question is always yes, regardless of what bass you already have.

I can understand wanting to go up from the sister brand to the main one too, though I'm not sure how to classify street cred - I have no idea what basses are cool.

I would give another vote to a Fender Jazz - always a good one to have in the arsenal.

Interesting. You could keep bass, change bridge , and. Amp (for the sound you want)
Sounds like you want shortscale bass. Apparently, gibsons aren't very popular with many on here.
Looks like a mustang is the way to go. If you have come into a lot of money , buy an original with competition stripes ;)

Yeah another thing is I'm playing shortscale at the min.
And I'm hesitant to switch back.
Then there is my amp lol a carlsbro cobra 90 combo to big and loud for the house, not enough power for a gig. Lol.
I'm struggling to really make up my mind one side says I should blow a few grand the other says I've only been playing 8 months and I should really wait.

Well there are always going to be basses around that are better than the ones we own that`s for sure, the question is whether we need them or not. I think yes is the answer, we all need better basses, it`s what makes us happy, buying and selling.

But seriously, Kristo on here is selling an SG Bass - link below. If looking for an SG, I`d say you`ve found one:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/226895-fs-gibson-sg-faded-cherry-bass/"]http://basschat.co.u...ed-cherry-bass/[/url]

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1389890906' post='2339195']

[/quote]

Do you NEED a new bass?
No.
Do you WANT a new bass?

Welcome to the world of GAS..

No - you don't need a new/better bass.

What you need is a [i]different[/i] one. Or preferably, several different ones, in a permutation of scale lengths, pickup layouts, string numbers, weight distributions, construction materials, circuitry types and fingerboard types. And colours. Lots of different colours.

But if you must to limit yourself to a single bass, you really can't go far wrong with a Jazz.

Jon.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1389894677' post='2339275']
Do you NEED a new bass?
No.
Do you WANT a new bass?

Welcome to the world of GAS..
[/quote]

The age old question...want-v-need...what will you do with the cash instead?? If you're likely to piss it up the wall then buy the new bass...at least you'll have something for your money in a years time.

Of course I'm probably not the best person to ask...my GAS has long been out of control

So, you like the bass you've got but are starting to see its limitations. That's fine, you're gowing out of it because you're getting more experienced.

If you really have to have a short scale bass and want to upgrade, look at an EB-3.

I think you should expand your horizons a little and try Fenders and Laklands.

Second hand would be best. It would be a waste of money to buy new at this stage of your playing career.

None of us NEED a new bass, even though I tell the wife I do, and find many arguments as to why it is absolutely necessary that I buy this new bass - and that for this song or that band, my existing bass simply won't work...
But, if you're coming into some money, it's a very nice way to treat yourself!

I also recommend a Jazz (some VERY good Squiers to be had) and would suggest that having a new instrument to get to know well might encourage you to devote more time to playing; which can only be a good thing. You only live once (as far as we know), enjoy yourself!

You probably don't need a new/better bass, but if you want it, providing it doesn't impinge upon the maintenance of the roof over your head or the regularity of your meals then go for it.

If it's street cred you're after then don't buy a Gibson bass - you'll be met with a mix of disbelief, confusion and ridicule in about equal quantities ;)

A Gibson SG will feel kinda familiar to you and I guess the addition of the bridge pickup will give you some variety, but for a complete change of sound it's probably best to go in a different direction. Fender Mustang will be completely different to the EB-0 but equally limited with the single pickup (but that sound might be exactly what you're looking for). If you think you could stretch to 32" scale then there's the Squier VM Telecaster Bass Special, which has a Wide Range humbucker at the neck and a Jazz pickup at the bridge.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkcmO1DunDU[/media]

Just some ideas.

I think I'm gonna have a good think.
My head actually hurts with options. And questions.
I'm pretty much set on shortscale. I did play 2 fender precisions recently one with the standard cricket bat neck lol and one with a jazz neck on and although I could play both I feel shortscale for me is the way to go.
Maybe I should just stick with the epiphone.... but but I want a new toy.

No, you don't. Despite the somewhat limited tonal pallet of your current bass, I'd wager it can do most of what you want with EQ tweaks - if it feels good, then I's stick with it.

What sort of tones are you after that you currently can't get?