Why become a member? ×

Oldgit in Memory

waynepunkdude

I know we have a small thread in 'site issues' but I feel we should have one in a main area, in my opinion Si was the heart and soul of this place and it hasn't been the same since he passed.

I didn't know him as well as a lot of people so it'd be nice if this thread could be added to by others.

First up the basses:

He had a type

I still own this one

But his last bass seemed to make him happiest.

His advice:

On cover band lighting

[quote name='OldGit' timestamp='1189168373' post='56958']
Lighting - not a big deal
For years we just had 6 little planks (yup real planks) about 14 inches long with angled bulb holders screwed to them with simple coloured spots and long mains leads. You position two behind the band pointing up the wall, two pointing in from the sides and then two pointing at the lead singer stuck on top of the PA tops.
If you make another pair point them at the kit .. all that chrome reflects really nicely.

Simple but effective mods included screw in big eyelets and a bit of string so that, if needed, you can hang them up somewhere to get a better angle on the singer's face (essential) and silver foil baking cups. You push the bulbs through these so that the white light that comes out of the back of the spot bulbs gets reflected back. That gives a much better effect than loads of white light spilling out.
We have all our lights on one foot controlled switch so we can turn them on when we take to the stage and turn them all off between last number and encore (amazingly effective - people are trained to roar "more!" when the band stops and the stage lights go out and "Yeah!" when the lights go back on again .. Thanks, Mr Pavlov )

Oh and pack the bulbs in a well padded cardboard box between gigs 'cos they break. Buy a couple of spares
Don't use any green lamps they make people look horrible Red blue and yellow work fine.

These simple lights will transform your look on stage.
Total cost about 25 quid and some time...
Bits inc bulbs from B&Q

Or Maplins sell simple lighting kits with flashing bits, stands and all that malarkey
[/quote]

Wedding band idea

[quote name='OldGit' timestamp='1189434614' post='58248']
Another idea I collected down the years was the "jukebox" You put cards on their tables to request the tunes you do and to dedicate them to someone in the room .. They have a look through your list and choose one ... Then when you play it you can say hey ythis is for jeff from Sarah with teh special message " I'm so glad I got a pre-nuptual agreement after catching you in the bogs snogging with Jenny"
Thangyouverrymuch! 1-2-3-4
[/quote]

"I'd add never agree to play a wedding 'til the potential mothers in law have seen you, They are the real decision makers in this situation."

Cover band advice

[quote name='OldGit' timestamp='1224508299' post='310437']
Well as you know a recommendation is by far the best thing for getting gigs. This is because the recommendation comes with all of the creedence that the recommender has in the eyes of the person looking for a band.
In the absence of that an endorsement on your website from a someone as like your prospective punter as possible is the next best thing.

Thus, if you want weddings, you have happy bride and groom quotes, if you want services functions you have a quote from a credible services event organiser, functions you have a top name organisation. If your band has played for a few big names, that makes a lot of difference.

The basic format is the same whatever: the testimonial should more or less say:
"[b]Everyone had a good time [/b]and thought [b]I[/b] was brilliant for finding such a great band. You were so [b]professional[/b] and nothing was too much trouble. We will certainly [b]recommend you[/b] to everyone we know and [b]book you again[/b] for our next wedding"
Or something like that, plus a clearly not made up name and job title "Sam Davidson, Event coordinator, John Lewis Partnership", or "Samantha and Dave, Bride and Groom", or whatever.

That will help.
[/quote]

[quote name='OldGit' timestamp='1189535562' post='58917']
Ok a few comments about stuff relevant to this as it's getting pinned.

I strongly recommend the two name approach for a band that plays two types of gigs - one name for the band that plays pubs and is building a following and another name (same band) for the band that plays weddings and corporates. This is cos the markets are different and are best served by separate attitudes and approaches to almost all of it.

Marketing a wedding/function band is totally different to a pub or originals band.
Totally different market and a totally different approach.

If you are planning a lot of wedding and function work the better known your stuff the better you will go down.
In the above set you might find it works better to truncate Superstition.. Fabbo tune, outstanding epoch making record but ... in general audiences get bored by verse two .. I've watched this happened a lot of times. The stat brings a huge whoop of recognition followed by a floor full of people but they start glazing over pretty fast so ... do two verses and the middle bit and then morph it into something else like Play that Funky Music and it will work a lot better...

OG
[/quote]

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I deal with beginner gig organisers a lot so when I can I point out that "Band A 8.30 - 9.15. Band B 9.15- 9.45" ain't gonna work ....[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Then I make sure we are on on time and off on time. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Also if you get on 10 mins late, cut ten mins out of the middle rather than cut your fab ending set...[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we are booking the other bands we make absolutely sure they know when they have to get off stage then put a poster up in the dressing room and backstage area with timings.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mostly we have to deal with the other timing problem when the support act - the wedding, wedding breakfast and speeches - overrun so we can't get in and set up on time.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So we have a hand out we send to all people booking us for weddings suggesting that a laid back wedding day with loads of spare time built in will be nicer for all than a tightly time-controlled wedding day that goes awry all over the place with resultant worry for all (and long wait in the car park for us) "[/font][/color]

Band website advice:

[quote name='OldGit' timestamp='1216375151' post='242500']
You have to make sure your website is easy to find using google, your key search terms will be your town or region. Wedding band searches are something like
wedding band Glasgow
wedding entertainers Glasgow
wedding blues brothers band Glasgow

etc

So make sure your meta-data reflects your geographical area,

Then your website has to say "we are in Glasgow" on every page. All bands will play anywhere for the right money but a bride (or bride's mother) wants to know they are dealing with a local band and not paying a load out for travel etc. so tell them where you are (on every page)
Have a strap line like:
John and the Gorbals: Fantastic Professional Glasgow Wedding Band

Hyperbole can put off some people so if you claim to be the "Best wedding band in Glasgow" you'd better put it in quotes and have a testimonial to back it up.

The whole thrust of your website (for weddings and functions) should be
"we do this all the time, we really know what we are doing, and other people think we are really good at it. You can trust us"
Not literally, of course, but with a subtle mix of quotes, testimonials, tales of past successes, etc :)
[/quote]

Choosing a band name

"Simon Armitage summed it up nicely in the extract from his book on forming a band in his 40's published in the Guardian magazine recently

Read the whole article [url="http://books.guardian.co.uk/poetry/features/0,,2179554,00.html"]here[/url] but here's the bit I'd go on endlessly about

Google it before you think you've found the answer ...

" Every time we do find what we think is a decent name, it turns out that it already belongs to a neo-punk band from Ohio who, even if they haven't released any records as yet, have a sw***y website, have patented the brand and registered their trademark, and own the domain name. "

Check myspace too ..."

First gig preparation

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Make sure you rehearse well and for a [/font][/color][i]gig performance[/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] not to learn the songs, that's different. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Include the set intro, "last" song ending, encore and talky bits (minimise these). Choose your strongest 25 minutes and focus on it from now 'til then. Record and/or video your dress rehearsals and change the things that don't work. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Set up in your rehearsal space as if it was a gig stage ie the front person performs [/font][/color][i]away[/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] from the drummer and rest of the band, not facing them. That way you'll have to have cues other than eye contact. Your front person, at least, should be looking at the audience and not the other band members. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Time your set accurately so you have time for the encore you will get (as you'll be taking 20 mates to cheers their heads off and to demand an encore, won't you?). Have at least one song in teh set you can drop if you start late but have to finish on time. Play the "last" tune well before your scheduled end time to leave time for the encore. Have a strong song for the encore. That's the lasting impression people will take away with them. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Take 3 tunes out to an open mic night beforehand to see what it feels like. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And make sure you have fun ... [/font][/color]

:)[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] "[/font][/color].

On amp buying
"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]My bargain recommendation is always the same: Peavey Combo 300 Seies one or two, 1x15 Black Widow speaker, free Swartzenegger body building course thrown in.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You get a fine sound for rock and club work, more ooomph than you'll need to scare the guitarists and they are really cheap - now that is. They were mid range when new about 25 years ago.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Oh and any that are still around really look rock and roll [/font][/color] :)[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It's just like Hi fi stuff. The difference between rock bottom and midrange is huge. The difference between midrange and top of the range (in terms of sound) is marginal and subjective, and very, very costly. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You can see below what I gig with and I'm happy with all of it in different circumstances."[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Consumer advice [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sale of goods act 1979[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Key Facts:[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]• Goods are of [/font][/color][b]satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], taking into account the price and any description."[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Government info website (in understandable English) [/font][/color]
[url="http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html"]Here[/url][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] "[/font][/color]

Why he took up the bass:

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]40 years .. Started cos I liked it, never stopped.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I really wish I'd learned to read music when I started. It's been a pain on numerous occasions since and I've had several attempts to "get it". I can almost sight read now but it would have been so much easier if I'd just learned it in my teens. "[/font][/color]

Edited by waynepunkdude

Simon was the first and only one to welcome me to the forum and we shared similar views on bass, music and life in general.
He was very helpful with a great SOH, always unselfish and easy going.

I have a rat logo he gave me on the headstock of my 50 year old Jazz bass.
He gave it to me after he saw a picture of the bass, which is battered and 'customised' after years of abuse and he told me it's a 'rat' bass.
His was the kindest comment I've ever had about the bass, which usually range from horrible to downright ugly.
It's still my main bass and I think of Si every time I play it, which is nearly every day.

I still miss him.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1385312457' post='2286737']
I was just now reading another thread about landlords and gig promotion. Thought to myself: "The Old Git would have dropped some pearls of wisdom into this one."

His advice was always good. Perhaps a 'compendium' sticky might be an idea when the management have a moment's rest. :)
[/quote]

This is what I am trying to put together mate, anyone who fancies going through stuff with me it would help :D

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1385312627' post='2286740']
This is what I am trying to put together mate, anyone who fancies going through stuff with me it would help :D
[/quote]

Ah, sorry chum. Assumed this was a general in memoriam job. :(

I was thinking specifically about the stuff he used to write about promoting gigs, performance, etc and thinking it deserved a wiki. I'll have a trawl through the back catalogue next week.

Edited by skankdelvar