Why become a member? ×

An open letter to Custom builders. (Update on Page 11)

Shockwave

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1380636892' post='2228227']

But the fact is, and I'm sorry to say this and I hope I don't offend anyone, but every time I go to a bass bash or play someone's bass, or even buy a bass from someone on here, most of the time I am surprised by how badly they are set up, and how poorly they play, sometimes I am amazed at how little they seem to have been cared for. So, I find it hard to believe that the majority of people who order a custom bass have any idea what they want, other than some pretty bookmatched bullshit.
[/quote]

I favour easy-playing basses, but seeing as Jamerson's bass was supposedly virtually unplayable and an absolute tip that argument doesn't early hold much water, does it? And Macca's and Jaco's weren't much better.

As for "some pretty bookmatched bullshit", seems like a perfectly reasonable reason to buy one to me. It's no secret you're not much of a fan of custom basses; I'm not much of a fan of Fender Jazzes, but that doesn't mean I get to decide the criteria for buying one.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1380737129' post='2229826']
I favour easy-playing basses, but seeing as Jamerson's bass was supposedly virtually unplayable and an absolute tip that argument doesn't early hold much water, does it? And Macca's and Jaco's weren't much better.

As for "some pretty bookmatched bullshit", seems like a perfectly reasonable reason to buy one to me. It's no secret you're not much of a fan of custom basses; I'm not much of a fan of Fender Jazzes, but that doesn't mean I get to decide the criteria for buying one.
[/quote]

Yeah I know, I had one of those Tired of Being Mr F*cking Nice moments :P :D

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1380636892' post='2228227']
So, I find it hard to believe that the majority of people who order a custom bass have any idea what they want, other than some pretty bookmatched bullshit.
[/quote]

I do wonder why this thread continued beyond that point!

I read the whole of the "won the wal pickup on ebay" thread over on the other side - it was fairly clear from the bat that the fella wouldn't get the thing done anytime - to make production yes would take a while but to knock out a wal like pup... well I was trying to work out if I would be able to do it myself (or at least learn too.. and while it would take a while it would be possible - where you would get stuck would be getting the pickup to interface with a preamp!

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1380746433' post='2230087']

Luxury
[/quote]

:-) (I wish I could work out how to post emoticons on this bloody tablet. In my day you had to carve them into granite with a piece of wet sponge...)

Edited by 4000

Just saw this on lettsbass facebook

[color=#333333]Hey beloveds. I wont be taking any new orders for a short while. As many of you know I have had a tough year due to personal issues which has resulted in limited working hours. This is only a short term thang but I need to catch up on the huge backlog of orders. Firstly basic body and neck building work for customers who are waiting for basic updates and secondly getting basses that are near completion, completed. I thank all of my current good people who are waiting for instruments for their patience (some more than others ha ha). Your instruments are getting done as fast as I can manage, lots of late nights and weekends etc.[/color]
[color=#333333]To anyone considering getting one of my basses you are more than welcome to get in touch to discuss your custom Letts bass and I should be well on the way to getting the workload back down to a managable size very soon.[/color]

[color=#333333]The first prize for patience goes to Alastair Rhodes. He hasn't had a sniff of his bass yet but here it is. A rather nice Bubinga 8 string single cut fretless. Al has been a proper gentleman right from the word go.[/color]

[color=#333333]Thanks again everyone. You are the greatest![/color]
[color=#333333]Easy now. JL[/color]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1381215835' post='2235768']
Everyone gets issues and running a business isn't easy. That's not however an excuse for poor communication...
[/quote]

Now that would depend on the nature of the issues, now wouldn't it?
Some issues can be almost totally disabling. Also, one can function fairly adequately in one area whilst not functioning at all in another.
I'm not taking sides here, and don't know about Jon's issues. It's just a response to the that's-not-an-excuse bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice little story from the 'premier' end of custom building today.

Beautiful spec Fodera ready to go into first stage of production next week (necks are put together first).

Fodera production team confirm with retailer that final specs need to be confirmed (bang on schedule).

Retailer informs customer and a few questions are raised about final selecting of body woods and fingerboard, plus a few smaller bits and bobs. Retailer requests some examples of tonal quality that customer is looking for based on recordings from other players.

Customer supplies these and they're forwarded to Fodera. Retailer and Fodera think it will help to set up a 3 way Skype vid call so everyone can go over all possible options, answer questions and nail everything down.

Retailer sends notes to all parties in advance of the call so everyone can prepare questions and answers. Retailer initiates call and everyone is present, again bang on time.

Production guy and one of the partners from Fodera join the call, both super enthusiastic and helpful. No hard sell for upgrades, detailed explanation of every possible option based on customer questions, really 'sensible' recommendations made based on real world playing experience. Every single question answered professionally in a friendly and helpful manner.

Customer quite keen on three relatively expensive upgrade options. Retailer offers to add these to the build at cost without taking any additional income - principally because this is a major investment and it would be a huge shame if the customer couldn't quite afford those last little things (two of them were aesthetic rather than tone altering) that might make him look at the bass in the future and think 'if only I'd added those couple of extra things'. . .

Customer accepts offer (works out at three major upgrades for the price of two), retailer informs Fodera and build goes into production on Monday.

Almost all of his was achieved in a 3 hour time span in one day (and don't forget that the builder is in a completely different time zone).

Net result - customer is over the moon, his dream bass is being built to a very exacting standard with every question answered in advance of production. Retailer is pleased that he's sold a high end bass with a lot of confidence that it will meet the customer's exact requirements - he's taken a slight hit on income but knows it was the right decision. Builder is happy that both customer and retailer have acted professionally, covered all eventualities in advance of production and that everything is bang on schedule.

Now that's how things should be done :)

Although a Fodera is a serious high end investment it's still made by a tiny company of enthusiasts working to tight deadlines, they just don't 'screw around' like a lot of other people. . .

My understanding is that Fodera took on someone to specifically deal with the customer relations side of running the business.

If that's correct, then the above shows very much that it is working.

Of course not everyone can afford something like that as a small business...