Why become a member? ×

An open letter to Custom builders. (Update on Page 11)

Shockwave

Am I the only one who when they read "a certain pickup manufacturer" immediately thought SGD? I would never, ever have bought anything that SGD had done. Not because I doubt the inherent quality of the work, but because when you read the 5000 page thread on talkbass "Won a wal pickup on ebay," you realise that every 6 months he said "soon" it's either never going to happen or it'll be a total car crash of customer service. Crap. Sorry, just total crap.

I did toy with getting some stuff from Warmoth and bunging those pickups in, but decided that if I wanted a Wal, I should just..... get a Wal. Shock, horror of realising the total bloody obvious. For anything similar I'd get an ACG.

I suppose I've never really had a custom build. My Alembic was off the shelf at the Bass Centre in Wapping, the buzzard was pretty much standard. My 8 string was custom in that I chose every single part myself. Pity I didn't figure out how amazingly heavy it was going to be and that I'd be a foot shorter after wearing it for 4 hours at rehearsal. Oh dear.

However, it's like everything else. Roll the dice and take your chances.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1380660348' post='2228706']
Am I the only one who when they read "a certain pickup manufacturer" immediately thought SGD? I would never, ever have bought anything that SGD had done. Not because I doubt the inherent quality of the work, but because when you read the 5000 page thread on talkbass "Won a wal pickup on ebay," you realise that every 6 months he said "soon" it's either never going to happen or it'll be a total car crash of customer service. Crap. Sorry, just total crap.
[/quote]

Yup, his reputation is certainly spreading fast. The thread never filled me with confidence either. He broke a pretty crucial marketing rule too - letting people know what you are up to. Would be well funny if a load of other pickup manufacturers beat him to it. It would have had so much clout to suddenly come to market with the "Wal" pickup and the story how he got there afterwards. Massive impact... instead of which, he's tried to build a hype which has ended up like... well, the way it has.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1380637784' post='2228249']
Err... you gave him a second chance?

3 years?

Err... what is wrong with you?

This is something - as you have proven - could be done by any other luthier. Why would put yourself through that?
[/quote]

Because, I had been let down by a friend I have known for over 25 years, he was supposed to fix an Import Warlock bass for me whilst I boarded out and insulated his huge loft, 3 months of weekends, the loft was complete, the bass wasn't even touched, luckily I was also getting paid for the loft, or I would have just walked.

There is a distinct lack of Luthiers around Plymouth, that I would trust with an American handmade/Expensive bass, I didn't know of Tom Anderson, and like I said, Chris Eccleshall is a totally lovely bloke, just a lazy git

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1380637799' post='2228251']
f*** me, that is pretty f***ing amazing mate! How did you keep your lid on for that amount of time! :lol:
[/quote]

Because he's an old guy, and a nice guy, I was fuming though, especially when he told me I never brought the Kahler arm or a set of strings for the bass when I dropped it off, I knew I did, and when we found a set of D'addario EXL 170's in the first drawer we looked in, the truss rod cover and trem arm were in the packet LOL

[quote name='Lorne' timestamp='1380665859' post='2228835']
Because, I had been let down by a friend I have known for over 25 years, he was supposed to fix an Import Warlock bass for me whilst I boarded out and insulated his huge loft, 3 months of weekends, the loft was complete, the bass wasn't even touched, luckily I was also getting paid for the loft, or I would have just walked.

There is a distinct lack of Luthiers around Plymouth, that I would trust with an American handmade/Expensive bass, I didn't know of Tom Anderson, and like I said, Chris Eccleshall is a totally lovely bloke, just a lazy git
[/quote]

I hear you. Tricksy times. Good to hear that it all got sorted in time though.

There's a distinct lack of luthiers I'd trust full stop! It's too easy for joe public to masquerade as a luthier.

[quote name='Lorne' timestamp='1380666012' post='2228840']
Because he's an old guy, and a nice guy, I was fuming though, especially when he told me I never brought the Kahler arm or a set of strings for the bass when I dropped it off, I knew I did, and when we found a set of D'addario EXL 170's in the first drawer we looked in, the truss rod cover and trem arm were in the packet LOL
[/quote]

:D Well I'd have been extremely pissed off, but would have been firm with the guy. Hope he took no money off you!

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1380631751' post='2228121']

It did not start off as that initially as I was initially just venting. But I changed my mind as I stated on the first page. Why is this important enough for you to bring up?
[/quote]
Sorry i missed this before, because I'd rather hear peoples experiences of a brand, good or bad. If i really wanted something then i might have to take the plunge anyway but just generalising all luthiers in your rant when you should be venting at Jon seems unfair to me.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1380712036' post='2229252']
I have now got a response from Lettsbass. No updates, but the communication makes me rest a bit easier.
[/quote]

...and?

Surely he didn't just say, "hello."

At this point, you need to be speaking to him on the phone to get the deal straightened, or getting your money back.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1380714008' post='2229306']
...and?

Surely he didn't just say, "hello."
[/quote]

Not quite but close ;)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDZcqBgCS74"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDZcqBgCS74[/url]

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1380715637' post='2229352']
Whoa! Rob and Vampyres. Now that's a big ol' blast from the past. How long ago was that again?
[/quote]

You've lost me.. I just made the connection about being dead and vampires :lol:

You've got to fill me in now though!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1380716561' post='2229378']
You've lost me.. I just made the connection about being dead and vampires :lol:

You've got to fill me in now though!
[/quote]

Probably before your time then young Mr C. :D
A big hoo-ha about a dude trying to rip off another dude halfway round the world.... way back when BC was a different place. Rob turned detective and pretty much got it sorted for him.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1380716897' post='2229389']
Probably before your time then young Mr C. :D
A big hoo-ha about a dude trying to rip off another dude halfway round the world.... way back when BC was a different place. Rob turned detective and pretty much got it sorted for him.
[/quote]

Ahhh, I remember that :)

Vaguely :lol: