Why become a member? ×

Buckle Rash and various assorted chippings, dinks and dongs

Delberthot

There's something that I need to understand

None of my basses have ever suffered from this and no one else's that I know either. So what is bucklerash and why does it happen?

When wearing a shirt tucked in I make sure that it is loose enough that the buckle on my belt doesn't make contact with my bass.

Why do basses appear with big chips in them?

Are people really that clumsy/unlucky/neanderthal/candygram for Mongo?

I don't always put my bass away first but after 15 months my Precision still looks exactly the same as when I left the shop with it. No dinks,scratches, chunks of paint missing,holes,etc

I'm not having a go at anyone but are some people more accident prone than others or something?

I'm pretty careful with my gear off stage but my Ibanez had a soft finish and through swinging the guitar about during gigs it caught my belt buckle quite a bit resulting in rash.

My t bird has a lacquer finish and wears a lot harder but there's a couple of minor scratches on it and I can't for the life of me understand how they happened.

I think wear is normal and makes a Bass unique to you. I also like the relationship and memories that some marks invoke.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1378682945' post='2203278']
There's something that I need to understand

None of my basses have ever suffered from this and no one else's that I know either. So what is bucklerash and why does it happen?

When wearing a shirt tucked in I make sure that it is loose enough that the buckle on my belt doesn't make contact with my bass.

Why do basses appear with big chips in them?

Are people really that clumsy/unlucky/neanderthal/candygram for Mongo?

I don't always put my bass away first but after 15 months my Precision still looks exactly the same as when I left the shop with it. No dinks,scratches, chunks of paint missing,holes,etc

I'm not having a go at anyone but are some people more accident prone than others or something?
[/quote]

See how yours is after 40 years. ;)

Some of it may be down to carelessness, but accidents do happen. Maybe you're just lucky. I've had some corkers happen over the years and I tend to find the more careful I'm being the more likely I am to invite disaster.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1378707688' post='2203334']
i then to have the problem that my tshirt hangs between bass and belt.
The belt is fine but the amount of tiny holes I get in my tshirt drives me mad
[/quote]

It's nice to know I'm not the only one to get holes in my Tshirt from this. I've never had trouble with bucklerash because my bass/guitar doesn't sit that low

When I tighten my belt up I look like a string of sausages, no way it's going to damage my basses.

Older basses with thin nitrocellulose finish damage very easily after a couple of decades, the finish becomes very brittle and it doesn't take much of a knock to flake some off, particularly if it's got that chequered / cracked look to it.

I think here on Basschat we're a lot of enthusiasts / gear heads and take extra care of our instruments, I guess there are plenty of working musicians who just use them and don't worry.

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1378706994' post='2203328']
My bass sits on my belly, well away from my belt buckle.
[/quote]

Shirt buttons can cause "buckle rash" too - especially metal ones. Plastic ones do it too. T-shirts shouldn't, but then you look like a tramp... :yarr:

Buckle rash, scratches from rubbing against the button on your jeans, plus the inevitable accident when your bass falls over. They`re all part of an instruments history. That`s why I`m not keen on fake relicing - I like the look, but like it to have been genuine wear. I look after my instruments and don`t want either cosmetically damaged but if they are, well not going to be fussed about it.

[/quote]

me too! so many ruined t shirts.....

[/quote]

I've ALWAYS wondered what caused that! Always my fave Tees too :(

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1378718887' post='2203495']
....Simply move your belt buckle to the side (one loop to the left or right). Problem solved....
[/quote]

+1

I do this.

Buckle rash is just carelessness. None of my basses have had buckle rash, but basses can get knocked on a gig. Small stages, not using a stand, clumsy drummers, low ceilings, all can take their toll.

Since the price of my basses went up I started to take extra care. My 10 years gigging Lakland has hardly a mark on it.

So the general concensus is that if you look like a string of sausages when wearing a bass with a belt then you're boned, otherwise you're a clumsy oaf :lol:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]There are so many nice basses for sale now that I love the look of but then I see huge and I mean huge chips out of the paintwork and think How? Those finishes are really tough so you must be trying out your Paul Simonon moves to get them like that surely.[/size]

I suppose it depends on the kind of gigs you play as well! If you have a nice raised stage and a tame crowd then it can be pretty easy to take care of your gear. But for when you play in the corners of dive-bars where everyone is climbing all over each other and swinging from chandeliers (band included) then things can get a bit out of hand and you're going to get a few dinks!

Paul

Edited by paulpirie8

Can't remember the name. Pub in Falkirk town centre, side road, little pay car park opposite, Very busy pub. Bands play upstairs. Raised stage right next to the bogs entrance. Perfect for drunken numpties to fall UPWARDS onto stage knocking bass players and bass into back wall :rolleyes:
Or pissed sound engineer in Preston, falling over, knocking two basses out of stands, onto rims of bass drums.
A couple of a myriad. I've never damaged any of my basses, there's plenty of other muppets to do it for you :(

I like seeing a visible history of an instrument, really does give it a bit of character/ back story. I've always played with fairly meaty buckles and i have to say that after about 6 months or so my 51 is starting to show some signs of it, however the top coat seems so thick it'll take a while to have any real effect.

The worst bits are the chips in the headstock from smacking cymbals on crammed stages/ when pissed because rock and roll etc. All depends on what environment the bass lives in I guess!