Why become a member? ×

What have you got GAS for at the mo?

action_panzer

After missing out on a 1973-75 Gibson EB-3L to restore (guy sold it outside of eBay while auction was ongoing :( ) I'm really looking for an old ratty one and annoyed that I didn't use the Buy it Now but figured I could get it for less in an auction, oh well.

Another Precision. One is great, so two has got to be better, right?

The thing is I'm unsure which way to go with this. Options include:[list]
[*]Another original 70s model;
[*]An original 60s model (£££!);
[*]An American Vintage Reissue (aka Pure Vintage);
[*]A Custom Shop repro (relic'd or otherwise);
[*]A Limelight or similar repro (ditto);
[*]A cheaper/newer model to use as a 'beater' or for reduced risk (dodgy pubs, overnighters, overseas gigs).
[/list]
I will be hitting the Gallery and Denmark St tomorrow. I'm calling it a fact-finding mission for now, but who knows...

Nothing at the moment. Feels good. That's not to say that I won't spot something out of the blue that appeals but, just for now, I don't look longingly at anything.

I might/might not change my TC Electronic RH 750 back up amp for another Trace Elliot one, but not in any hurry and certainly no compulsion.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1444386447' post='2882753']

[*]A cheaper/newer model to use as a 'beater' or for reduced risk (dodgy pubs, overnighters, overseas gigs).
[/list]
I will be hitting the Gallery and Denmark St tomorrow. I'm calling it a fact-finding mission for now, but who knows...
[/quote]

My fact-finding mission was a success. Tried a delightful Pure Vintage P (in Sonic Blue) in Wunjo - thought I could definitely go for one of those, but no rush to buy.

Then on to the Gallery and a Custom Shop '59 relic P in white with gold 'guard. I spent ages playing it (a good sign when you don't want to put it down) and was all set to make an offer, but after I got the chap to take some relief out of the neck, some of the mojo seemed to go. Weird.

Also tried a bass built around a late 70s P neck with rosewood board - played superb, sounded good, looked hideous (to me).

The quest continues.

At the moment - absolutely nothing. Took possession of a Steinberger Synapse 4-string a month or so ago and it's pretty much "the one" (yeah, yeah, I know...). It's getting boring for the guys I play with as I keep turning up with the same bass... but it's so nice.

The thing is I'm unsure which way to go with this. Options include.......
.......[list]
[/list]
[/quote]

Yes, two P basses are definitely better than one, of course! Need you ask? ;)
I'd agree that a nice vintage P would be a good option. But for said "dodgy pubs" and overnighters
A nice relic, or even a Squier P is a great option

I've recently discovered the sense of freedom / relief of playing a bass you're not quite so precious about,
as I've joined a pub covers band, and we'll be playing some of those pubs ;)
So rather than my lovely mint US P, I'm taking my Squier Classic Vibe (I'd rather get a scratch on that than my US)

Have you tried the Squier Classic Vibe range yet? They're absolutely brilliant - honestly
Also, my other bass is a Roadworn Fender Jazz, which is my fave bass ever
I haven't tried the Roadworn P yet - but people rave about them, another option for you, maybe?

Good luck with your search

Edited by Marc S

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1444725385' post='2885278']
Yes, two P basses are definitely better than one, of course! Need you ask? ;)
I'd agree that a nice vintage P would be a good option. But for said "dodgy pubs" and overnighters
A nice relic, or even a Squier P is a great option

I've recently discovered the sense of freedom / relief of playing a bass you're not quite so precious about,
as I've joined a pub covers band, and we'll be playing some of those pubs ;)
So rather than my lovely mint US P, I'm taking my Squier Classic Vibe (I'd rather get a scratch on that than my US)

Have you tried the Squier Classic Vibe range yet? They're absolutely brilliant - honestly
Also, my other bass is a Roadworn Fender Jazz, which is my fave bass ever
I haven't tried the Roadworn P yet - but people rave about them, another option for you, maybe?

Good luck with your search
[/quote]

Cheers! Well the Limelight is out of the running - I wouldn't be comfortable with the fake-ness thing (don't ask).

Another London trip booked for next Saturday...

[/list]
[/quote]
[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1444500353' post='2883741']
My fact-finding mission was a success. Tried a delightful Pure Vintage P (in Sonic Blue) in Wunjo - thought I could definitely go for one of those, but no rush to buy.

Then on to the Gallery and a Custom Shop '59 relic P in white with gold 'guard. I spent ages playing it (a good sign when you don't want to put it down) and was all set to make an offer, but after I got the chap to take some relief out of the neck, some of the mojo seemed to go. Weird.

Also tried a bass built around a late 70s P neck with rosewood board - played superb, sounded good, looked hideous (to me).

The quest continues.
[/quote]
[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1446408924' post='2899199']
Well the Limelight is out of the running - I wouldn't be comfortable with the fake-ness thing (don't ask).

Another London trip booked for next Saturday...
[/quote]

Sorry to self-quote, but this post would make no sense otherwise.

My latest London trip was worthwhile, not least because I discovered how useful Google Maps on my phone can be - tell it where you want to go, specify public transport, and it tells you the bus stop and service number, how to walk to it, and when the next one is due. Outstanding! The Oyster card is a wonderful thing.

Anyway, Wunjo had sold their last Pure Vintage, and the only thing in Denmark St that I even wanted to pick up was an original '59 at £9,995 i.e. somewhat outside my budget.

New Kings Road Vintage Guitar Emporium (snappy name eh?) had a white P described as 'hybrid 60s/70s', which immediately caught my eye - basically 60s neck and pickup, unknown body (likely 70s from the white paint discoloured to yellow). I notice that the home-made scratchplate was somewhat wide by the controls so I asked them to remove it - sure enough, there was some extra routing, and you couldn't have fitted a normal scratchplate, so I passed. Played and sounded great, but I wasn't feeling the love. Top marks to those guys for helpfulness btw.

Nipped up to Bass Direct yesterday afternoon and tried 4 Precisions:
(1) 1969 in heavily distressed weird dark green finish - really light, played and sounded great, except for some fret buzz up the dusty end. Could be a high fret, could be an up-turn. Also it looked hideous - I want better for my £2,500!
(2) 1993 MIJ in yellowed white / red tort - a real looker, very road worn, good player, but a weak G, even when the lads in the shop had kindly raised the pickup with some foam.
(3) 1984 Squier JV in black - completely meh, sounded and played like a very ordinary bass. Did not live up to the legend.
(4) CS '59 in sunburst / gold anodised - although my large hands are very tolerant of different neck profile, I make an exception in this case - wide, shallow, with a horrible sharp profile to the edges, completely different from the '59 I tried at the Gallery.

Also tried a PJB Double 4 while I was there, and decided it wasn't for me. A practice amp really, I reckon it would be lost the moment someone else started to play.

You may think I'm being picky. That's because I am. I'm not complaining though, as I am in the fortunate position of taking my time for the right bass.

To be continued...

Edited by JapanAxe