Why become a member? ×

ONE Guitar or TWO Guitars?

thebrig

I've been trying to get a band together for some time now, and all was going well, but we thought we should add a second guitarist, as we felt the overall sound was a bit thin.

Anyway, we auditioned a few, but our guitarist just would not discuss with them who plays what, and took an instant dislike to all of them.

In the end, he said to us, [b][i]"I either do it on my own, or I'm off"[/i][/b]

Yes, he is now history!

So now we are looking for two guitarists, as a lot of the material we do is impossible to play with just one guitar, no matter how good they are.

But a lot of the guitarists who have responded to our ads so far, have expressed a desire to be a one-man show, despite needing two guitars to play the songs properly.

Most of the reasons given is, [b][i]"it muddys the sound"[/i][/b]

A lot of bands have two guitars, so it does work, although I do accept that certain genres can be comfortably played with just one.

We are an old-style British R & B band, and we can play a lot of the songs with just one guitar, but many of the songs we do, would definitely benefit from two guitars.

[b]So what do you guys think, should we give in just to satisfy the guitarist's ego, or should insist on two guitars?[/b]

Don`t give in, just advise anyone auditioning that the sound of the band will be with 2 gtrs, and as such whoever gets the job must be willing to have "the bands sound" rather than "their sound". And make it clear that this means less gain, less bass and less reverb/delay., as it is overdoing these that muddies the sound.

It's all in the arrangements.

There are 'musicians' who play for kudos, and there are musicians who serve music. That latter are who you need to sift out from the glory hunters. They are out there, but I'd advertise carefully to get a response from people who actually want to to make good music.

You could also go to lots of gigs and see if you can find them in other bands. I know that's a bit poachy, but it will be their decision in the end. It's how we found ours, he was in another band on the same bill and we were very impressed, and he's an absolute diamond.

Depends entirely on the music, I'm getting a band together with me on guitar and I know already that the type of stuff we want to play needs two guitars minimum. Unfortunately I think it does come down to an ego issue, and even when you do get two guitarists they often have to rank themselves with "lead" and "rhythm". I'm actually struggling to think of a band I like that only ever uses one guitar live.

I don't like 2 guitar music or bands. IME, they nearly always turn into a racket, at least when compared to one guitar or guitar and keyboards.

I have spent most of the last 20 years playing with one guitarist and the sound has never been thin. Empty in places, but never thin.

I think you’ve missed a trick.

I've been getting a band together & I can confirm that 2 guitards are good for metal or rock , but try getting them to play something else & it just ends up a frikkin racket.
When I started, I didn't want any guitarists. I wanted vocalist, a drummer, 1 or 2 keys & some other musicians.
I've decided to go with it & then once we get gigging, try & find some decent musicians.

Edited by xgsjx

Our guitarist has been saying recently that we should have another guitarist. He reckons there are some things he can't do on his own.
I've got mixed feelings really. I think it could sound good, and because I'm not that confident a bass player I wouldn't mind being drowned out a bit, lol. :D
It's just the logistics of it that concern me. It's hard enough getting 4 people together at the same time for rehearsals, never mind 5!

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1377958481' post='2194092']
It's hard enough getting 4 people together at the same time for rehearsals, never mind 5!
[/quote]

Aye, there's the rub. Plus, if you add a second guitar there's a very good chance you've also got a second ********. YMMV. :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1377959532' post='2194111']
Every time I've played in a band with more than one guitarist, they have been excellent at arranging the guitars so that they complimented each other in both note choices and sounds. Those are the sorts of musicians that you want.
[/quote]

This all the way, if you have 2 guitarists they have to be exceptionally good musicians and good at communicating with each other, otherwise you end with a crunchy mess. Or at least one of them does so they can work around the other one (though in that situation you'd be as well ditching the ignorant one!) IME only rock/metal bands want 2 guitars (I purposely didn't write 'need' coz loads of rock/metal bands only have 1) for the extra noise while every other genre is happy with 1 (though Lettuce have 2 but they run rings around a lot of musicians).

It is all about the fill and how you approach it.

Personally, I think gtr and keys do it so not really interested in 2 gtrs but if you do go that route, they have to see the bigger picture...and you may
have to have the balancing act worked out before hand.

I'd audition each gtr as lead and 2nd gtr and would want both gtrs to do both.
Unless the 2nd lead was a great vox, and that was his thing, he is going to want a solo at some point..
and the lead gtr is going to have to give it to him..

So, any signs of blitzing over the other's parts means they aren't suitable...
To get one gtr who has his ego in check and is senstive to others is hard enoughj....2 ..?????

It can work, but both need to know and understand..and be happy... within their roles.

I am back in a band with one guitar for the first time in years, I love it! Some bits I make busier to fill in for a missing guitar, some bits he does more than he would as either gtr 1 or gtr 2. As long as we discuss any parts we are not happy with and work something out it is good or sometimes we decide the song is not worth it so we bin it and choose another , not an option for original material I know but for covers there are loads of songs out there to learn. We have a female singer singing songs not only sang by women so one guitar rather than 2 on the record (more like 3 tracks each in the studio!) is not really an issue. Almost every Bruno Mars track we have covered is in ERB on the CD yet always on a four string live, deciding where to sit the guitar and bass regarding octaves has been tricky and so far not played the same twice at the gigs :D

Every time I've played in a band with more than one guitarist, they have been excellent at arranging the guitars so that they complimented each other in both note choices and sounds. Those are the sorts of musicians that you want.
[/quote]

Bingo. Good guitarists will work together, as will all good musicians - be they pro or amateur. Those finding excuses are giving you a good insight into their wider ability and attitude.

It can be a difficult journey to realising some of those insights, however. Our current guitarist took a bit of support to get over the hump of bringing a new guitarist in, as he redefined what it was he wanted to contribute and accomplish.

[/quote]

Me, too.
Then I pile in...

The best band I've been in had 2 guitars. They'd alternate, handing the melody back and forth while the other played rhythm or harmonised. Or in some cases, simply shut up!
No solos. No egos. It was great.

I guess the number of guitarists all depends on their attitude and ability, sometimes the attitude is a cover for their lack of ability. I was in a band called Crossfire (similar to someone elses band reading this ;) ) the second guitarist was the lead vocalist and was quite a tidy player but really liked the guitar as a prop and was happy to strum along, the other guitarist was brilliant but totally volume driven, lead break crazy, between them it just about worked, [u]just[/u] though.

I was in a band with 3 guitarists once..... It was a frigging nightmare :lol:

When we ditched one with a severe attitude problem leaving us with a more than adequate two, life became easier.... Although there were still some clashes as they shared lead and rhythm and if there was a song that they both wanted to do a solo on, you could have stuck them in a boxing ring and charged people to watch as they battled it out :lol:

I think you need to find like minded musicians, like other people have said, that serve the music and not their egos!

I was in a 3 piece for over 10 years ( guitarist who sings / bass with backing vox / drummer ) and it never sounded thin .
If you have a strong rhythm guitarist the sound will always be full , the only time I have been in bands with a weedy sound is when the guitarist plays continuous lead or solo,s that he's learn't note for note off youtube . There is a definite lack of good rhythm guitarist's around , everybody wants to be a rock-god .