Why become a member? ×

ONE Guitar or TWO Guitars?

thebrig

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1388504423' post='2322781']

My reply to that would have been something like 'Oh so that's why Hendrix sounds so crap on Little Wing with its three guitars'.

... or some comment about the three guitars on many Motown recordings.
[/quote]

Right, but you're talking about one of the most talented guitarists of all time with a particular knack for tasteful rhythm parts in a studio context. He performed it live with one guitar and no issues. It's far easier to get more to work in a studio mix for several reasons - the guitarists aren't in control of their own volumes or frequency content, and stereo separation creates more sonic space for them to sit in, whereas live music is nearly always mono. Any more than one guitar in a live performance setting has the potential to get very ugly very quickly, unless the musicians know exactly what they're doing.

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1388513066' post='2322941']
Right, but you're talking about one of the most talented guitarists of all time with a particular knack for tasteful rhythm parts in a studio context. He performed it live with one guitar and no issues. It's far easier to get more to work in a studio mix for several reasons - the guitarists aren't in control of their own volumes or frequency content, and stereo separation creates more sonic space for them to sit in, whereas live music is nearly always mono. Any more than one guitar in a live performance setting has the potential to get very ugly very quickly, [b]unless the musicians know exactly what they're doing.[/b]
[/quote]
So I stand by what I said.