Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.7, Surrey, Saturday 21st September 2013

silverfoxnik

The bash was great, not just because of the talks from the pro's and all the amazing gear on display. What made it for me was the fact that an enthusiastic amateur such as myself took a piece of kit along that he was not understanding too much and found an industry pro who totally sorted it out.

Of course I'm talking about my M87 Comp pedal and 51mon. Over the machine gun barrage of slapping Si took the time to explain the principles of compression, and he had a good old fiddle with my knobs. At this point I've got to apologise to Happy Jack, who I was previously talking to in the hallway, mentioning that some people would perhaps like to turn down. Now I was banging way with Si encouraging me to 'Hit the thing as hard as I could!'

And can you believe it, Si found the sweet spot, and I had a grin a mile wide across my face! It was as if my bass and rig had got rid of years of bunged up sinuses and all of a sudden were breathing properly. Blimming marvelous! Up until that point I was feeling a little morose about my rig, and now it was ringing like a bell.. A very noisy bell!

And to top it off I then got the opportunity to blow the hall windows out with Alex's Barefaced stack. Priceless.

For me this was what the bash was all about. A group of like minded people turning up, swapping stories, sharing expertise, meeting old friends and making new ones.

I might not fully understand compression, but I know a chap who does.. and he photographed my knobs..

The answer...

Thanks 51mon :D

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1379859264' post='2217466']
Interesting preamp/DI from Dave Swift -

[/quote]

Coming to a dealer near you very soon indeed :)

And I hear all the first orders from any BassChatters are getting an additional discount - yay!

Edited by molan

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1379803783' post='2217014']

And my favourite moment of the day was being able to tell Dave Swift to be quiet (during my inept talk on DB). Yes, me, blagging rubbish bass player telling 23 year pro Dave Swift to be quiet. Still makes me giggle. He was so nice about it too. There's a message there. [b]Nice people do well[/b]
[/quote]

And he had a gig in the evening all the way over in Ashford and didn't get home until 4:15 in the morning.

He then found time to say thanks because I watched his gear for him whilst he was doing the Q&A session!

Definitely very nice people indeed :)

Hi guys,

I had a blast! :). Was great to see a number of faces I haven't caught up with for a while. Nice to play a few basses I've never tried, and spy a few interesting pedal setups :)
Thanks every one involved, and everyone who turned up, busiest year yet?!
Until next year :)

Si

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1379847137' post='2217299']
What a splendid day :) As always it's great putting faces to names, and hanging out with a big ol bunch of really lovely people. Had a great time in the jam room, really enjoyed Dave Swift and Paul Geary's talk, playing OBBM's 1970s Fenders, nice to meet Kiwi at last. Thanks so much to Hamster and Mrs Hamster, Nik, and everyone else involved in setting up the Bash, top work!

I'm amazed to have won the Fender Squier VM Jag HB !! I had just bought some tickets before the raffle was held, and Timmo got the first ticket, he had the Orange amp cos he's a lefty, then Green 461 was called, I thought my tickets looked blue so I didn't react, then when no-one claimed it they called "NIGEL!" I was looking around for another Nigel while the people behind me were laughing because they could see my winning ticket in my hand :lol: It was finally pointed out to me I'd won and I received my amazing prize from Dave Swift and Paul Geary and Throwoff. Thanks so much to Throwoff for asking Fender UK to donate the prize. It's a lovely bass! I have to write and record one more bass line for an album by one of the artists I work with and I'm going to use the Jag, it's a dubby sort of line and the Jag has a massive tone thanks to the active circuit, so it should sound great!

Once again, thank you!
[/quote]

I caught the moment on my iPhone

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcamardo_night_time_photography/9881257055/][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcamardo_night_time_photography/9881257055/]Nigel[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/fcamardo_night_time_photography/]F. Camardo Photography™ © 2013[/url], on Flickr

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1379857504' post='2217448']
The bash was great, not just because of the talks from the pro's and all the amazing gear on display. What made it for me was the fact that an enthusiastic amateur such as myself took a piece of kit along that he was not understanding too much and found an industry pro who totally sorted it out.

Of course I'm talking about my M87 Comp pedal and 51mon. Over the machine gun barrage of slapping Si took the time to explain the principles of compression, and he had a good old fiddle with my knobs. At this point I've got to apologise to Happy Jack, who I was previously talking to in the hallway, mentioning that some people would perhaps like to turn down. Now I was banging way with Si encouraging me to 'Hit the thing as hard as I could!'

And can you believe it, Si found the sweet spot, and I had a grin a mile wide across my face! It was as if my bass and rig had got rid of years of bunged up sinuses and all of a sudden were breathing properly. Blimming marvelous! Up until that point I was feeling a little morose about my rig, and now it was ringing like a bell.. A very noisy bell!

And to top it off I then got the opportunity to blow the hall windows out with Alex's Barefaced stack. Priceless.

For me this was what the bash was all about. A group of like minded people turning up, swapping stories, sharing expertise, meeting old friends and making new ones.

I might not fully understand compression, but I know a chap who does.. and he photographed my knobs..

The answer...

Thanks 51mon :D
[/quote]

No worries matey!

I heard at least two people saying that there should be a compressor chit chat (or how to do compressors dude!) chat like the other year's one every year. They might have a point, what with the blog gone away :(

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1379878916' post='2217765']
I caught the moment on my iPhone

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcamardo_night_time_photography/9881257055/"][/url]
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcamardo_night_time_photography/9881257055/"]Nigel[/url] by [url="http://www.flickr.com/people/fcamardo_night_time_photography/"]F. Camardo Photography™ © 2013[/url], on Flickr
[/quote]

Ahahaha, brilliant, thanks Fran :)

Fantastic time had.

Big thanks to SilverFox & Hamster for organising.

Couple of points:
* There clearly aren't enough hours in the day, especially if you have to dash home for child caring duty.
* The quality of the talks was excellent.
* I too am not sure I'll bother bringing any basses with me next year: I don't think either was picked up at any point - and unless the owner was there[i] I[/i] wasn't about to pick up random bits of kit.
* Surprising amount of machine gun slap in the noisy room. next time I'm bringing a headphone amp and some in ear monitors (occlusive). At NAMM and the other music shows they have 'quiet' periods, which I would have appreciated.
* Played some lovely basses. Clarky: I can't promise not to buy a ritter. My Ritter gas is now set to 'kill' rather than 'stun'... (although I can't find it on the bassgear.co.uk web site...)

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1379881978' post='2217834']
Every year I look at the pics and think "yeah, must go next year". I am doing the same now.
[/quote]

This! I was actually free but talked myself out of it as I'm dangerously susceptible to GAS at the moment and didn't want my appetite whetted! Silly really.

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1379931249' post='2218266']

* Surprising amount of machine gun slap in the noisy room. next time I'm bringing a headphone amp and some in ear monitors (occlusive). At NAMM and the other music shows they have 'quiet' periods, which I would have appreciated.

[/quote]

The first time we did the BassBash at that school, I brought along four varieties of in-ear or headphone rigs for people to compare and set them all up in the Quiet Room. That also allowed people to bring basses to those rigs and hear what the basses actually sounded like.

Think I might re-visit that idea next year ...