Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.7, Surrey, Saturday 21st September 2013

silverfoxnik

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1380023081' post='2219598']
Really..? I got the distinct impression from this forum that no-one did that any more! :D
[/quote]

Do as I say, not as I do... :rolleyes: :D
Alternatively, like me, don't learn to slap in the first place, so you can't be tempted to break into a fit at any point, and have no consequent loss of street cred etc. :lol:

Edit: the name of the Junkyard Dogs drummer is Paul.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1380023409' post='2219605']
True, I think we were more about how hard it outputs a low filter sweep...

Cant say it wasnt thoroughly obnoxious of us though :D

I think it was mainly me slapping (badly) though it - largely due to the unbelievable trouser flappage it produced!
[/quote]

*Like* :)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1380023771' post='2219616']
Do as I say, not as I do... :rolleyes: :D
Alternatively, like me, don't learn to slap in the first place, so you can't be tempted to break into a fit at any point, and have no consequent loss of street cred etc. :lol:

Edit: the name of the Junkyard Dogs drummer is Paul.
[/quote]

Thanks yes - Paul - lovely chap and good drummer too - it was vaguely musical and nice to jam some random funk stuff...

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1380015844' post='2219425']
Bass (anything beloww 200Hz) is omni directional.....
[/quote]

Try it. I bet it would still be better standing behind and to the side of some of those cabs at the bash.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1380015865' post='2219427']
Yeah but where are you going to get lecky in the middle of the room? Run a long extension reel along the floor all the way to the nearest wall at the risk of people tripping on it?

You see... the logistic of your suggestion could be a Health & Safety issue ;)
[/quote]

Not as much of a health issue as my ringing ears.

Is running a cable(s) safely an insurmountable problem?

Since, collectively, we have a clear need for some people to just blast away (whether slapping or not) and also play at talking volume (while setting up effects or whatever) why not, next time, just set clear expectations for each room ? Say, designate the big hall for talking volume, and the jam Rooms (or one of them) for max volume workouts ? With clear signs so we all know what to expect where ?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1380026520' post='2219679']
Try it. I bet it would still be better standing behind and to the side of some of those cabs at the bash.

Not as much of a health issue as my ringing ears.

Is running a cable(s) safely an insurmountable problem?
[/quote]

Yes 1000% no amount of gaffa tape is going to secure a cable on the floor where 100's people are walking over it in all directions.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1380028564' post='2219730']
This Bass Bash sounds just like a Sat afternoon in the Bass Cellar. I thought us bass players were a sensible, considerate bunch, who on the whole cant stand slapping :-)
[/quote]

That's what I thought Dave, much to my disappointment. If it was a masterclass by Victor Vouten or Stanley Clarke, Stu Hamm or even Flea then I do appreciate a bit of tasteful and artful slapping but believe me none of what I heard on Sat was in that category. Not even close.

And Dave if slapping wasn't bad enough there was someone playing some kind of synth pedal board through a huge rig that sounded like duelling food mixers or a high pitch chain saw that was total and utter noise, [b]if you call that music I am ready to hang up my basses[/b] and sell them all giving all proceeds to Help for Heros or Scope (charity for Cerebral Palsy)

Obbm had some lovely vibes coming from his 70's Fender and nice amp / cabs, but I could barely make out what was being played. Clarky had some very nice basses too, and yet I had wanted to try some and compare them but no joy due to the amount of testosterone fuelled slapping.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1380027908' post='2219716']
Since, collectively, we have a clear need for some people to just blast away (whether slapping or not) and also play at talking volume (while setting up effects or whatever) why not, next time, just set clear expectations for each room ? Say, designate the big hall for talking volume, and the jam Rooms (or one of them) for max volume workouts ? With clear signs so we all know what to expect where ?
[/quote]

How about a dedicated room for monster rigs and loud playing (with a health warning)? I stayed out of the main hall and mostly kept to the jam room and I never needed to wear my ear plugs. Because we could all hear ourselves, it was an absolute pleasure to be there.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1380032599' post='2219841']
You should have secured it, somehow...
[/quote]
Yeah, there was gaffa tape in the tombola prize list too. We could have gaffa'd the velcro and velcro'd the gaffa...just to be safe, you understand.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1380030134' post='2219776']
How about a dedicated room for monster rigs and loud playing (with a health warning)? I stayed out of the main hall and mostly kept to the jam room and I never needed to wear my ear plugs. Because we could all hear ourselves, it was an absolute pleasure to be there.
[/quote]

+1

This is definitely something we need to get right at future Bashes and it's good to see a 'calm and reasonable' discussion taking place about it already.. :)

We obviously want people to be able to come and enjoy the day as much as possible and that can sometimes be difficult to achieve because people have very different expectations of what sort of facilities/activities a Bass Bash should have on offer..

There are logistical and organisational issues that affect this directly; having enough spaces at our disposal for the day, having enough people to set up the various spaces at the start, being able to manage all the different rooms/spaces properly through the day, etc, etc, etc.

Suffice to say that we're going to have a debrief about it between us, take on board what comments have been made, and then hopefully, we'll have a 'cunning plan' for going forward (as Baldrick would say).

If there was a limit on the power of amps in the main hall, that might go a long way. Say nothing more than 60w or the equivalent loudness? Then there could be a separate room for people to take their stuff into if they wanted to try something out at full volume. Alternatively one of them sound level detector thingies connected to the power... :ph34r:

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1380030134' post='2219776']
[/quote]

Yep, that's exactly what I was trying to say.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1380034074' post='2219869']
+1

This is definitely something we need to get right at future Bashes and it's good to see a 'calm and reasonable' discussion taking place about it already.. :)

We obviously want people to be able to come and enjoy the day as much as possible and that can sometimes be difficult to achieve because people have very different expectations of what sort of facilities/activities a Bass Bash should have on offer..

There are logistical and organisational issues that affect this directly; having enough spaces at our disposal for the day, having enough people to set up the various spaces at the start, being able to manage all the different rooms/spaces properly through the day, etc, etc, etc.

Suffice to say that we're going to have a debrief about it between us, take on board what comments have been made, and then hopefully, we'll have a 'cunning plan' for going forward (as Baldrick would say).
[/quote]

Assume you are talking about the slapping and not the volume lol.