Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.7, Surrey, Saturday 21st September 2013

silverfoxnik

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1379933931' post='2218317']
The first time we did the BassBash at that school, I brought along four varieties of in-ear or headphone rigs for people to compare and set them all up in the Quiet Room. That also allowed people to bring basses to those rigs and hear what the basses actually sounded like.

Think I might re-visit that idea next year ...
[/quote]

Excellent idea, but the real question is - did the shirt fit?!

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1379932656' post='2218298']This! I was actually free but talked myself out of it as I'm dangerously susceptible to GAS at the moment and didn't want my appetite whetted! Silly really.[/quote]

GAS can be a two-way street though. For yonks I've been contemplating the DB/EUB path & on Saturday I finally talked myself into having a quick go on Clarky's DB. Couldn't get on with it at all, so I can now say that I'm no longer considering DB. It's not for me.

See? Instant saving of anywhere between £800 & £3000! :D

Pete.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1379934621' post='2218330']
Excellent idea, but the real question is - did the shirt fit?!
[/quote]

Haven't had a chance to wear it yet! I was really tempted to put it on for our gig that night, but we were running so late (and I was so sweaty & knackered) that I ended up staying in my t-shirt.

Many thanks for bringing it along, and for the loan. Pics will follow, I promise ...

B)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1379935484' post='2218351']I want to see pics of the new BF cabs![/quote]

There should be a few! The silver cloth grill cabs were both production examples, the ones without grills are pre-production (and in the case of the Big Twin 2, not enough close to cosmetically finished!) versions. We're getting our new steel grills custom made (by the same company that does JBL's) and are expecting them today - should look really nice and be tougher than before.

After Alex's new Big Twin 2 was given some beans, I had some explaining to do to the headmaster!

Spot the similarity -

There's one of these hidden in the top of the new Big Twin - Alex calls it a 'Waveguide Compression Driver' - He's not kidding me!, I knew he was a Martian! :D

Something that fell into my shopping trolley -

I had some hesitation about this - a definite 'Marmite' bass, but it fits me like a glove (due to ample tummy cut!) and is wonderfully light and balanced with a lovely neck. It sounds EPIC through the Big Twin 2 :gas:

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1379933931' post='2218317']

The first time we did the BassBash at that school, I brought along four varieties of in-ear or headphone rigs for people to compare and set them all up in the Quiet Room. That also allowed people to bring basses to those rigs and hear what the basses actually sounded like.

Think I might re-visit that idea next year ...
[/quote]

For the London Bass Show BassGear were set up in the 'quieter' zone and people were only allowed to play through headphone amps and noise isolating cans (all the little Carvin combos have decent headphone pre-amps).

Worked really well and was easy to set up. Could probably do something similar next year :)

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1379956839' post='2218739']
After Alex's new Big Twin 2 was given some beans, I had some explaining to do to the headmaster!

Spot the similarity -

There's one of these hidden in the top of the new Big Twin - Alex calls it a 'Waveguide Compression Driver' - He's not kidding me!, I knew he was a Martian! :D

[/quote]

made me laugh so hard, my good lady perfectly understands after surveying the wreckage of the lounge following test run after getting home Sat!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1379960546' post='2218808']
For the London Bass Show BassGear were set up in the 'quieter' zone and people were only allowed to play through headphone amps and noise isolating cans (all the little Carvin combos have decent headphone pre-amps).

Worked really well and was easy to set up. Could probably do something similar next year :)
[/quote]

The issue I have had, and I am not complaining, was that a couple of people attenting, maybe more than a couple didn't just turn up with a small amp set up, like for instance, a head and speaker or a combo, oh no! They've turned up with such large rigs as if they were going to play Wembley, this resulted in a watts war between the few individual with such large stacks whereas those like me who carried only a medium sized combo couldn't hear myself thinking, and was unable to let people try stuff or even play a riff as I was completely dwarfed by this geezer next to me with a rig bigger than John Entwistle.

Oh and one last thing. Every time there is a London Bass Show at Olympia, the most repeated comments by members of this established forum are complaints about those individual who spoil the show for them with all that [b]slap[/b] clickety clackety noise pollution, and yet. you go to a place like this and [size=6][b]YOU'RE ALL AT IT! [/b][/size]like if it was going out of fashion, saying one thing and doing the other. tut tut....

Fair is fair, if volume and large rigs belong in this Bass Bash meetings, I am not against it by all means but they should be set up in smaller insulated rooms or a dedicated auditorium and then those with smaller rigs can enjoy a more peaceful room with speaking voice level.

I am all for a headphone set up next year

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1380014481' post='2219401']
.... as I suggested earlier, set up in the middle of the room facing outwards (with the big rigs at the end) then no one else is in the "firing line" except the guy playing.
[/quote]

Bass (anything beloww 200Hz) is omni directional.....

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1380014481' post='2219401']
.... as I suggested earlier, set up in the middle of the room facing outwards (with the big rigs at the end) then no one else is in the "firing line" except the guy playing.
[/quote]

Yeah but where are you going to get lecky in the middle of the room? Run a long extension reel along the floor all the way to the nearest wall at the risk of people tripping on it?

You see... the logistic of your suggestion could be a Health & Safety issue ;)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1380014192' post='2219396']
The issue I have had, and I am not complaining, was that a couple of people attenting, maybe more than a couple didn't just turn up with a small amp set up, like for instance, a head and speaker or a combo, oh no! They've turned up with such large rigs as if they were going to play Wembley, this resulted in a watts war between the few individual with such large stacks whereas those like me who carried only a medium sized combo couldn't hear myself thinking, and was unable to let people try stuff or even play a riff as I was completely dwarfed by this geezer next to me with a rig bigger than John Entwistle.

Oh and one last thing. Every time there is a London Bass Show at Olympia, the most repeated comments by members of this established forum are complaints about those individual who spoil the show for them with all that [b]slap[/b] clickety clackety noise pollution, and yet. you go to a place like this and [size=6][b]YOU'RE ALL AT IT! [/b][/size]like if it was going out of fashion, saying one thing and doing the other. tut tut....

Fair is fair, if volume and large rigs belong in this Bass Bash meetings, I am not against it by all means but they should be set up in smaller insulated rooms or a dedicated auditorium and then those with smaller rigs can enjoy a more peaceful room with speaking voice level.

I am all for a headphone set up next year
[/quote]

I imagine URB and I didnt help playing with the new Alex monster cab. That thing is insane!

Apologies, sorry!

Mind you when I was helping Billy Apple later with his compressor I couldn't talk to him over someone battering a Status next door, for hours and hours and hours (it felt like). Got a reasonable result in the end, but it wasnt easy, and I couldnt explain what I was doing or listening for at the time at all.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1380016208' post='2219434']
I imagine URB and I didnt help playing with the new Alex monster cab. That thing is insane!

Apologies, sorry!

Mind you when I was helping Billy Apple later with his compressor I couldn't talk to him over someone battering a Status next door, for hours and hours and hours (it felt like). Got a reasonable result in the end, but it wasnt easy, and I couldnt explain what I was doing or listening for at the time at all.
[/quote]

Yes I wasn't going to name and shame but that lot with their Status basses were breaking my balls too.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1380016208' post='2219434']

Apologies, sorry!

[/quote]

To be fair I didn't slap a note through that cab and as far as I can remember was playing for all of about 5 minutes all finger style (OK maybe maybe one or two slapped notes on the B-string - but there were no 'machine gun' triplets) - the cab was too much for me to be honest but it was fun witnessing such insane power - re any slapping I actually stayed away from the main room after about 1pm as it was getting very loud and retreated to the jam room for some actual bass playing - had a good little play with Kiwi and Nige and our friendly drummer whose name escapes me - but after that the only slapping I did was at my talk - but it was all at a very civilised volume :)

Edited by urb

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1380023307' post='2219602']
To be fair I didn't slap a note through that cab and as far as I can remember was playing for all of about 5 minutes all finger style (OK maybe maybe one or two slapped notes on the B-string - but there were no 'machine gun' triplets) - the cab was too much for me to be honest but it was fun witnessing such insane power - re any slapping I actually stayed away from the main room after about 1pm as it was getting very loud and retreated to the jam room for some actual bass playing - had a good little play with Kiwi and Nige and our friendly drummer who's name escapes me - but after that the only slapping I did was at my talk - but it was all at a very civilised volume :)
[/quote]

True, I think we were more about how hard it outputs a low filter sweep...

Cant say it wasnt thoroughly obnoxious of us though :D

I think it was mainly me slapping (badly) though it - largely due to the unbelievable trouser flappage it produced!

Edited by 51m0n