Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury: Mumford?

[quote name='headofire' timestamp='1372664904' post='2128169']
Guys, if you can't say anything nice... don't be haters life's too short. Just change the channel. They have done well, and they are top fellas.
[/quote]

yes indeed as ice says we are not against them just the dubious quality of their product

im sure they are very nice guys but the thing that really grates for me is this whole foot stomping faux over-enthusiasm thing :ph34r:

anyone fancy starting up a chumbawumba tribute band :P ;)

[quote name='headofire' timestamp='1372664904' post='2128169']
Guys, if you can't say anything nice... don't be haters life's too short. Just change the channel. They have done well, and they are top fellas.
[/quote]

Fair enough, so:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1372664943' post='2128170']
In case this is news to anyone...

[media]http://youtu.be/as4O2ZorKP8[/media]
[/quote]

Great video!

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1372666574' post='2128189']
I enjoyed them at Glasto.....sorry :(
[/quote]

dont apologise! :D

regardless of whether or not you agree with the commercialsation of the event over the years etc etc the organisers do seem to try and put on a wide variety of acts to hopefully please the public at large, but ..... you cant please all the people all of the time!

i cant stand m&s' music but they do make an entertaining visual show even with the sound off ... unlike primal scream who make me want to damage my own teevee :lol:

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='headofire' timestamp='1372667077' post='2128196']
I don't think you get to close Glastonbury and be the biggest uk band in America by being sh*te, but we all have our own taste. I think its easy to take a shot at a successful band, but i know they've worked hard for their success and inspire a lot of young people to pick up instruments.
[/quote]

I don't think they're sh*te, and they're good musicians who have undoubtedly worked hard. Good luck to them. But I do find their music very repetitive. Sorry!

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1372661854' post='2128140']
And don't get me started on bloody Bellowhead!
[/quote]
Mumford & Sons shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Bellowhead.

Bellowhead are a fantastic live act and are very much the "real deal" folk music wise- they are very highly regarded & well respected musicians in the folk world, and many of the members have spent years playing small folk clubs up & down the country as solo performers too.

They are the polar opposite of the plastic faux folk crap peddled by Mumford & Sons.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1372635691' post='2128057']
So could someone please enlighten me as to what it is that so many find commendable, memorable, edifying or uplifting about them. I must admit I'm veering towards agreeing with Charlie Brooker's somewhat uncharitable but perhaps not completely inaccurate appraisal of them, quoted elsewhere on here, as "Trust Fund Wurzels". They are posh boys from Wimbledon, I suppose.
[/quote]

Seems a bit strange, if not downright prejudiced, to like or dislike music on the basis of who happens to be playing it.

I can understand people not liking the musical output of a particular band but I can't understand the apparent need to then deny the clear evidence that lots of other people clearly do or question their sanity for doing so.

I don't particularly like them either - but so what?

Whenever I think I hear them,...it could be anybody as far as I know :lol:..I can't stay interested enough to give them a proper go..
I think it is them as I expect to hear their hit...but I may be wrong as they all seem to sound the same.

Apart from that...and spawning a zillion others in their wake, ..they do seem to be a sweaty bunch and that is most un-folk like..?? :lol:

I sense from the recent Glasto threads that some of the BC members are a little...dare I say....jealous, of some of the success.

Like them or not, Mumford know how to pen a a catchy tune. No one cares what bass/amp they play, they appeal to a lot of people, although more so the 16-25 bracket I imagine, (especially students).

I for one would jump at the chance to play with them.

Folk/whatever it is music isn't cool, so they've done pretty well...

I'm afraid I find them irredeemably dull :(

I don't mind the odd bit of modern folk but this lot really don't do it for me at all.

I am a bit biased against them though, lol. I worked with Universal Music for a while when they first took them on and had to sit through a meeting with one of the label chiefs who went on, and on, and on about how they were the future of music and were going to save the industry etc. etc. (they've certainly shifted a lot of units so he obviously knew something we didn't!).

He expected us to join in the mutual appreciation society but, other than his junior staff, no-one could really muster any enthusiasm for them :)

That was one hell of a day actually - next meeting was with another label chief who basically told us that without him there wouldn't have been an Amy Winehouse. He was even more pretentious than the Mumford sycophant. . .

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1372667729' post='2128205']
Mumford & Sons shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Bellowhead.

Bellowhead are a fantastic live act and are very much the "real deal" folk music wise- they are very highly regarded & well respected musicians in the folk world, and many of the members have spent years playing small folk clubs up & down the country as solo performers too.

They are the polar opposite of the plastic faux folk crap peddled by Mumford & Sons.
[/quote]

No they're not.

M&S are a very very good live act, in fact one of the best I've seen. There's an energy and, well honesty, about them that is really unique. I don't like either of their albums because, having seen them live and having heard the early sessions they did for the BBC, the albums are to my ear overproduced and a little flat. They certainly don't come close to the band live. Last night I think they had outstanding energy but they didn't seem as on form as they did when I first saw them, perhaps due to recent events. I also don't think their 'flat 4' formation on stage work for TV. But all that aside, they were still one of the best acts I saw at Glasto this year.

I'm sure many on here are jealous, and rightly so, I'd love to be in that band. I guess some of the jealousy is around the idea that what M&S have done has relied to a great part on being in the right place at the right time, a lot of BBC/luvvy-type fanboyism, and the lack of anything else that good in that bracket (Bellowhead included). But they do write a good tune, albeit a formulaic one, and they do play them well. Also their 'Coldplay for the new acoustic generation' vibe is very inclusive, and they've certainly revived interest among young players in acoustic instruments (including DB).

I'm a massive Stones fan, but having seen their set Saturday, I know which of the two i'd have wanted to see live this weekend.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1372668541' post='2128211']

Seems a bit strange, if not downright prejudiced, to like or dislike music on the basis of who happens to be playing it.

I can understand people not liking the musical output of a particular band but I can't understand the apparent need to then deny the clear evidence that lots of other people clearly do or question their sanity for doing so.

I don't particularly like them either - but so what?
[/quote]
Exactly. I don't dig Mumford either, but then I can't stand the Stones and they did similar to Mumford by taking a type of folk and making it commercial in the mainstream by wearing funny clothes and sh*t. And please, let's not start having a pop at people who drink espresso in Wimbledon, who happen to be Charlie Brooker's kind of audience. As for Mark E Twat ..

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1372675888' post='2128330']
M&S are a very very good live act, in fact one of the best I've seen. There's an energy and, well honesty, about them that is really unique. I don't like either of their albums because, having seen them live and having heard the early sessions they did for the BBC, the albums are to my ear overproduced and a little flat. They certainly don't come close to the band live. Last night I think they had outstanding energy but they didn't seem as on form as they did when I first saw them, perhaps due to recent events. I also don't think their 'flat 4' formation on stage work for TV. But all that aside, they were still one of the best acts I saw at Glasto this year.

I'm sure many on here are jealous, and rightly so, I'd love to be in that band. I guess some of the jealousy is around the idea that what M&S have done has relied to a great part on being in the right place at the right time, a lot of BBC/luvvy-type fanboyism, and the lack of anything else that good in that bracket (Bellowhead included). But they do write a good tune, albeit a formulaic one, and they do play them well. Also their 'Coldplay for the new acoustic generation' vibe is very inclusive, and they've certainly revived interest among young players in acoustic instruments (including DB).

I'm a massive Stones fan, but having seen their set Saturday, I know which of the two i'd have wanted to see live this weekend.
[/quote]

+1 to most of this (and I'm not particularly a fan BTW).

The whole "I don't like them so they're sh*te" - whoever it's about - is all a bit 6th form IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1372670329' post='2128231']
Whenever I think I hear them,...it could be anybody as far as I know :lol:..I can't stay interested enough to give them a proper go..
I think it is them as I expect to hear their hit...but I may be wrong as they all seem to sound the same.
[/quote]

That's fair opinion. Thing is, it could be applied to almost any sort of music and certainly (in my opinion) anything rap, metal, thrash, punk etc.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1372681943' post='2128439']
That's fair opinion. Thing is, it could be applied to almost any sort of music and certainly (in my opinion) anything rap, metal, thrash, punk etc.
[/quote]

yep..oldgitsRus.. :) ;)

What thats quote about shouting "Jeremy" at a levellers concert, from that insult list that was posted, think it could apply here also, middle class uni folk music ?

I could be completely wrong, and there is a place for everything, and Mumfords have very successfully found thiers, so yes, fair play .

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1372687962' post='2128566']
What thats quote about shouting "Jeremy" at a levellers concert, from that insult list that was posted, think it could apply here also, middle class uni folk music ?

I could be completely wrong, and there is a place for everything, and Mumfords have very successfully found thiers, so yes, fair play .
[/quote]

Christ, there's been a lot of digs at middle class espresso drinkers going on, hasn't there. But then no-one dares to slag off bands because they are working class (I hate this f***ing CLASS sh*t). Most blues bands are middle class urbanites, so what. And true culturally representative music usually gets a good pasting on here too, hip hop, rap .. What's the deal?