Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury: Mumford?

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1372876718' post='2131095']
Not really, no. Unless Dylan had emerged from the Minnesota flatlands to suck helium and play someone else's songs.

OK, there's a superficial tonal resemblance, but - as some media outlet, I forget which, asserted - Mr Bugg's more akin to Lonnie Donegan.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWA997xM9MI[/media]
[/quote]
Now why couldn't Mumford and Sons were nice suits like that?

Just a bit of effort makes all the difference. :)

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1372878778' post='2131132']
I watched vampire weekend doing their set , that was truly dire. They also have beards.
[/quote]

A lot of musicians have beards at the moment . Far too many , in fact . Vampire Weekend were indeed abysmal .

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372878554' post='2131129']
Why do I like them then?

It's just this or it's just that - These aren't reasons to like or dislike something. Face it, of you liked them, you wouldn't be saying stupid things like "they are just written to appeal to students". Bollocks! No band is going to pigeonhole themselves like that.
[/quote]

No, I do like them. I was trying (badly) to use a different term to indie pop. Pop that appeals to a music-buying audience that aren't kids.

Nothing wrong with being a student, by the way... I did four different degrees.

I was going to join the back of the queue marked 'Mumford? Don't get what all the fuss is about', and perhaps say 'meh', but having learned 'Little Lion Man' for a dep gig, I have to admit that song is quite catchy. Can't see me buying any of their stuff though.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1372880656' post='2131157']
No, I do like them. I was trying (badly) to use a different term to indie pop. Pop that appeals to a music-buying audience that aren't kids.

Nothing wrong with being a student, by the way... I did four different degrees.
[/quote]

You're quite right, there is nothing at all wrong with being a student. In fact, I wish I was one.

It is pop, in the sense that it's popular, and conforms to some of the "rules" of pop, but aside from that I couldn't real consider it pop. I do like that they have a folky sound, and they are very popular. I think folk and country and 2 genres are are coming back into moderate popularity again.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1372880676' post='2131158']
I was going to join the back of the queue marked 'Mumford? Don't get what all the fuss is about', and perhaps say 'meh', but having learned 'Little Lion Man' for a dep gig, I have to admit that song is quite catchy. Can't see me buying any of their stuff though.
[/quote]
I agree with not getting what all the fuss is about but what happens on any forum is that someone says that a group are crap and then the next person comes along and defends them by saying that aren't crap.
What amazes me is that anyone would be bothered to reply. I have lots of favourite artists and couldn't give a flying one if anyone likes them or not. If someone loved them or hated them it couldn't possibly make any difference to me liking them or not. I don't listen through other people's ears so why would it?

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1372881173' post='2131168']
I agree with not getting what all the fuss is about but what happens on any forum is that someone says that a group are crap and then the next person comes along and defends them by saying that aren't crap.
What amazes me is that anyone would be bothered to reply. I have lots of favourite artists and couldn't give a flying one if anyone likes them or not. If someone loved them or hated them it couldn't possibly make any difference to me liking them or not. I don't listen through other people's ears so why would it?
[/quote]
I totally disagree with... Oh. I'll get me coat...

It amazes me why so many of the above posts feel the need to use words such as 'crap' 'hate' and 'sh**te'.
They are only a band that have found some success. Whether you like what they do or not, shouldn't we be a little happy for any LIVE BAND that PLAYS LIVE and SINGS LIVE with NO CLICK (well not the last time I saw them) that finds worldwide success in these days of computer wizardry!
I am not a Mumford fan by the way.

For me Mumford are one of those bands that belong in the category defined by well intentioned people starting off a sentence with 'you'll like this, it's folk music'.

They're undeniably good at what they do, it's just that 'what they do' isn't quite my cup of tea...

[quote name='whynot' timestamp='1372883910' post='2131238']
It amazes me why so many of the above posts feel the need to use words such as 'crap' 'hate' and 'sh**te'.
They are only a band that have found some success. Whether you like what they do or not, shouldn't we be a little happy for any LIVE BAND that PLAYS LIVE and SINGS LIVE with NO CLICK (well not the last time I saw them) that finds worldwide success in these days of computer wizardry!
I am not a Mumford fan by the way.
[/quote]

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1372887850' post='2131342']
For me Mumford are one of those bands that belong in the category defined by well intentioned people starting off a sentence with 'you'll like this, it's folk music'.

They're undeniably good at what they do, it's just that 'what they do' isn't quite my cup of tea...
[/quote]

Quite right, except I do like them :)

[/quote]

Yes, I think this is the thing that winds up a lot of people about them, especially people who like folk music. I feel this way a little bit myself, but I don't hold the band responsible for it - the hype about how they're somehow the future of folk comes mostly from journalists.

[quote name='whynot' timestamp='1372883910' post='2131238']
.....shouldn't we be a little happy for any LIVE BAND that PLAYS LIVE and SINGS LIVE with NO CLICK (well not the last time I saw them) that finds worldwide success in these days of computer wizardry!
[/quote]
Not if they're crap, no. :D

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1372890285' post='2131400']
the hype about how they're somehow the future of folk comes mostly from journalists.
[/quote]

Doesn't it always? I don't buy into any of the hype really. I listen to albums that I think I'll like, and then decide whether I like them, and/or the band. As a rule, I don't generally like Deathcore, but I like some of the bands in the genre, because they have genuinely talented members, but I just think they are wasted playing that genre.

[/quote]
It's the folk fans equivalent to how Bilbo must feel when when people mention "Moondance" :)

Brilliant! - my spellchecker just tried to change "Moondance" to "Mundane" :lol:

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1372890285' post='2131400']
Yes, I think this is the thing that winds up a lot of people about them, especially people who like folk music. I feel this way a little bit myself, but I don't hold the band responsible for it - the hype about how they're somehow the future of folk comes mostly from journalists.
[/quote]

Absolutely.

They can play, they can write a catchy tune, they have a bright future ahead of them and they have a quite a big following already from what I can gather (I suspect that Milty might like them... :rolleyes: ).

They're not the future of folk though.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1372890834' post='2131415']
It's the folk fans equivalent to how Bilbo must feel when when people mention "Moondance" :)
[/quote]

Ah but he's never heard me play Moondance before.

I was told it took on a 'whole new feel' when it was decided to stick a Folk Rock bass player who'd never heard the tune before into the middle of a jazz band that he'd met for the first time only 10 minutes before... B)

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1372895918' post='2131490']
Probably both, but its a risk I'm prepared to take to defend my beardy honour!
[/quote]

I wish I had beardy honour. The best I can manage is a light silhouette that I think loots a bit silly, and I shave it off before it gets a chance to actually take shape.

Some of this debate reminds me of discussions I had many years ago with people in the country music community about the soi-disant New Country format.

Oh, spawn of the devil, it was. Not [i]real [/i]country at all. Your station should be playing more Gene Autry / Bob Wills / Carter Family. You're letting the side down. Even sent death threats and - on one occasion - a turd in a box, just because we didn't play the 'right' artists.

Well, that was all bollocks, because the limited toehold country had on the market was proof positive that normal punters weren't ready for the hard stuff. You had to coax them in with something a bit pappy and - once they'd overcome their natural distaste for the entire genre - they'd fan out to discover all the other artists and songs.

And it worked, because after a year or so we started getting requests for Lefty Frizzell or George Jones or (God forbid) Lloyd Morgan from 18 year-olds. Thing was, the hard-core country fans didn't like what we were doing because it didn't gel with [i]their[/i] idea of what the genre should be about.

Bands such as The Mumfords may not fit their genre template, but they're a damn good way of growing the market for the music. Trouble is, existing fans don't always make the connection, see the benefit and take advantage of the opportunity to ship in some new blood.

'If you like [i]that[/i], you might like [i]this[/i]' would be the way forward to my mind. Were I a folkie, I'd be sending the Mumfords a thank-you note and a box of delicious gingerbread.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar