Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury: Mumford?

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1372689245' post='2128589']
Botttom line: I would willingly swap my day job to play for Mumford & Sons.
[/quote]

Likewise.

With your DB CV you'd probably get the gig as well Clarky :)

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1372678708' post='2128374']
+1 to most of this (and I'm not particularly a fan BTW).

The whole "I don't like them so they're sh*te" - whoever it's about - is all a bit 6th form IMO.
[/quote]
I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are some people on here that don't even like The Beatles.

I know it's hard to believe but it's true. How anyone could not like those fabulously talented mop topped jolly scousers is beyond me. It just goes to show what a crazy mixed up world we live in. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1372689245' post='2128589']Botttom line: I would willingly swap my day job to play for Mumford & Sons.[/quote]

Me too. But I'd have to grow a beard - firstly, to fit in with their image - and secondly, to avoid recognition. ;)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1372689509' post='2128596']
I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are some people on here that don't even like The Beatles.

I know it's hard to believe but it's true. How anyone could not like those fabulously talented mop topped jolly scousers is beyond me. It just goes to show what a crazy mixed up world we live in. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Same thing for those loveable rascals: the Rolling Stones..! What's not to like..? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1372689245' post='2128589']
Botttom line: I would willingly swap my day job to play for Mumford & Sons.
[/quote]

Today's "Talking sense on Basschat" sticker goes to you sir.

I think if we were all given the choice between day job drudgery (or function band obscurity like I'm languishing in!) and taking the bass chair for [b]any[/b] band with that level of success, we'd only be lying if we said no.

I don't get any kicks from listening to them, but the bazillions of people buying their records and gig tickets aren't interested the opinion of us bunch of disgruntled bassists!

I don't feel any jealousy at the Mumfords, just mild irritation that because they're successful exposure to their crap is harder to avoid. I think they're popular because they write very simple songs based around the same repetitive ideas, so people who aren't really into music at all don't have to deal with any kind of learning curve or emotional intensity, and if they like one song it's a fairly safe bet the others won't offer any unwanted challenges. The good thing for me is I find them so unbelievably un-memorable that they don't stick in my head at all. The bad thing is they trigger unwanted REM songs to play in my head instead.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1372675840' post='2128329']
No they're not.
[/quote]

What?! Even if you dislike both intensely, which is fine, you can still objectively analyse Bellowhead's arrangements and you've got tons of complex polyphonic melody, syncopation and polyrhythm. If you do the same with the Mumfords you find a hollowed out husk of mediocrity - well, not quite but the relative complexities in the music are totally different.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1372690873' post='2128631']
I think if we were all given the choice between day job drudgery (or function band obscurity like I'm languishing in!) and taking the bass chair for [b]any[/b] band with that level of success, we'd only be lying if we said no.
[/quote]
You speak for yourself.
I've got a unbelievably sh*t badly paid menial job but I'd genuinely rather do that than play music I absolutely detest.
I'd feel the same about playing in a covers or function band too - playing just isn't that important to me that I'd do it whatever the gig.
I can't think of anything more soul destroying.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1372689081' post='2128588']
Christ, there's been a lot of digs at middle class espresso drinkers going on, hasn't there. But then no-one dares to slag off bands because they are working class (I hate this f***ing CLASS sh*t). Most blues bands are middle class urbanites, so what. And true culturally representative music usually gets a good pasting on here too, hip hop, rap .. What's the deal?
[/quote]

It wasn't meant as a dig, just saying thats where i think it fits if we are going to make boxes, and as i said everything has its place and Mumford have done well finding theirs, I fit somewhere else which can just as easily be joked about.

Anyway, as someone else said, if we started a thread about any large mainstream band, the responses would be fairly similar and spread out.

I sat and watched the set on the Beeb last night and thoroughly enjoyed it tbh, not hugely memorable song wise, but great energy and a few good hooks. I'm not sure I'd bother buying anything, but definately would try to get a look if I happened to be at a festival they were playing at.

Nowhere near the league of Bellowhead though- all superb musicians giving drive and lift to pretty basic old folk/morris tunes

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1372692782' post='2128668']
You speak for yourself.
I've got a unbelievably sh*t badly paid menial job but I'd genuinely rather do that than play music I absolutely detest.
I'd feel the same about playing in a covers or function band too - playing just isn't that important to me that I'd do it whatever the gig.
[/quote]
That's a really great attitude to have. I take my hat off to you and long may you continue to play the music you enjoy.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1372692782' post='2128668']
You speak for yourself.
[/quote]
You speak for me also. I can think of little worse than making music (something I really have a passion for) into a tiresome job.

I don't get the class thing....
so.... most of on here are musicians, and/or spend time on here talking and conversing about it... maybe 90% of folk have an expensive bass- one or two make their living from this bass but the majority of us don't. Most of us work, some in fairly respectable positions. From the off topic conversations we generally follow slightly left of centre or liberal political views.... my guess would be that the majority of basschat are middle class, and probably average age range late 20's to late 30's? .... so why knock a successful band for being middle-class? or are we all pretending we are punk, or snarling rock and roll stars like liam gallagher or something?

just strikes me as odd.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1372697596' post='2128755']
You speak for me also. I can think of little worse than making music (something I really have a passion for) into a tiresome job.
[/quote]
Very noble Nige but then you do quite like your job. If you absolutely f*cking hated your job, faced with the choice of carrying on doing that job and alternatively closing the Glastonbury Festival on the main stage it might be a different choice, I would beg to suggest. Hell, I'd probably play bass for One Direction given the choice :P

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1372698197' post='2128761']
Aint this a forum, where different points of view are aired? Feck knows, Ive been slagged rotten for some of my views. I said its all down to taste. I, personally, dont like Mumford and sons. Its not down to class or ageism, I seen Arctic Monkeys and thought they were awesome! Mumford...to me...suck!

edit, I got nothing but abuse when I asked about the hate directed at Nickelback, so where is the difference here?
[/quote]

At least you are airing your views mate, that's a good thing, and if they are contentious, you'll get some sh*t thrown your way, us gobsh*tes get plenty of sh*t :) Don't take it personally. The Arctics are really good, but they're working class aren't they? Not now of course, they are rich, living an upper class life ;) :P

rant over....

now Mumford and Sons....

Marcus (lead singer, songwriter) used to live in Edinburgh for a bit and we have a few vauge mutual friends. A friend of mine gave me a copy of some of their first recordings, just 4 or 5 songs.... and I stuck them on loop on a mp3 player and would just sit and listen.
Yeah the banjo playing was a bit crap (my banjo playing friend says he's technically shockingly simplistic) but their were these soulful and raw sounding tunes with this bluegrass-or-folk-by-people-who-havn't-heard-any-bluegrass-or-folk-but-read-about-it-in-a-book which gave the music and songs an enourmous space - and also did that vast sad songs that sound happy thing (see Frightened rabbit for more of this) with a real emotional energy.

The mutual friends were going to do some project in south africa and to raise money put on a gig. Marcus came and played some songs, just him with a guitar. More acoustic indie than bluegrass... and again this same emotional depth and intensity to the music and the songs.

And then the album came out. And all the energy and emotion had been sucked out- and it just sounds like a mush
and then they got styled as some kind of hipster bluegrass band....
and the second album - I don't even have the urge to go listen....
why a band with 2 albums would headline glasto I don't know...

Caught most of it last night as Mrs JS likes them. They don't do a lot for me, but I didn't hate it & it seemed to me like there was a lot of energy from them and the crowd was lapping it up.

I'm obviously some sort of bass playing slag with no integrity since I'd happily take the Mumford bass job or something similar, as I love playing music in many different forms - even types that I maybe wouldn't choose to listen to at home. I'm currently playing punk/new wave/ska/reggae/60s garage, classic rock & pop, 'semi-acoustic indie grunge originals' & have recently been involved in prog rock and country music projects as well as a Dire Straits tribute. Although I'm more fond of some songs than others I've thoroughly enjoyed playing them all live!

There really are quite a few bitter people on this forum. Reading through some of the threads today when I got back from Glastonbury really pissed me off, full of total vitriol for bands that obviously work incredibly hard in order to get where they are. We get it, you don't like festivals/band 'X' or whatever, but it's like some people are doing their best to make themselves sound middle-aged, hapless and grumpy and it's working a real treat. Get some joy in your lives, understand that people have varying ideas on what constitutes good music and might not completely agree with the bluntness of your point of view. It's f***ing boring and not what I thought this forum was usually about.

I for one was not at all interested in seeing Mumford & Sons this weekend but I had nothing else to do on the last night. I'm not a huge fan of their music and I think it can sound samey but the atmosphere they created was truly great and their live performance was absolutely belting. I'm hardly converted but no one in that 80,000 crowd of people wasn't smiling and dancing, not at least that I could see.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1372698518' post='2128762']
Very noble Nige but then you do quite like your job. If you absolutely f*cking hated your job, faced with the choice of carrying on doing that job and alternatively closing the Glastonbury Festival on the main stage it might be a different choice, I would beg to suggest. Hell, I'd probably play bass for One Direction given the choice :P
[/quote]

Mate, believe, me, I f***ing hate my job, the politics where I work is appalling. I feel like I'm getting nowhere. Luckily I have some lovely musical things on the horizon, and music keeps me going, I'm very lucky in that sense. I'd love to be in a wonderful successful touring and recording band, but to do that I would have to love the music. Life on the road with Mumford and Sons would destroy me, because the music means so little to me, I'd be doing a horrible job with no prospect of me really enjoying it. I might be wrong, but I don't think I am.