Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury: Mumford?

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1372833004' post='2130370']
That's great, but I was hoping for a bit more than that.
[/quote]

I don't really see the need to analyse it, but it's simple, well-crafted, danceable Indie Rock/Pop songs with banjos. Some people won't like it because they don't like Indie Rock. Some people won't like it because they don't like banjos. Some people won't like it because it's popular. Some people won't like it because they're folk fans, they see it being proclaimed as folk and don't see it as authentic enough.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1372774309' post='2129762']
:D

I have completed my statistical analysis, and 67% of BC members making more than 3.1 posts per week think everything's crap if it's sold more than 162 records, and isn't Jaco Pastorius or someone with no arms playing a guitar with their feet.
[/quote]

you forgot the f*cking beatles innit

I'd never heard of them before I watched the coverage & I have to say I loved their set.

People seem to forget that Glastonbury is a huge party, it may have a professional stage set up at one end but the punters are there to sing, dance, drink, laugh & have the time of their lives with their best mates. you may see a gig that looks & sounds crap on TV but is fantastic to be there.
Munford & sons was one of them gigs. It probably looked & sounded not so great but after being a Glastonbury regular I knew they would go down really well.

Last night my mate rang me as he'd just got back (He stayed for the after party that happens every year) and I asked him about Munford & son's, he told me that being in the crowd was a massive dancing knees up, people jigged, linked arms jumped around, laughed & played silly buggers all the way through their set. he said it was by far the best fun he'd ever had in front of the pyramid stage in all the years he'd been going.

Some people will always see something different to what the people there are seeing & hearing. which is the real shame of the Glastonbury coverage.

I did love their set, I admit I would not buy their music, but so what ? music is fun & to get joy out of music is the most amazing thing in the world, without that feeling of joy I would never bother making & listening to music anymore. because without that feeling of joy & surprise what is the point ?

If people hate/strongly dislike this band then fine, but why bitch about them for being offered & accepting the biggest gig of their lives ? If someone offered me this opportunity I would snap their hand off because that gig will stay with them for the rest of their lives....hats off to them because they did their best with what they had.

God bless not only Glastonbury but god bless new music & the joy it brings.

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1372833004' post='2130370']
That's great, but I was hoping for a bit more than that. Although perhaps I should have foreseen it, I wasn't intending to start a hate thread (others have taken that upon themselves). All I wanted was a bit of perspective on what appeals to millions on both sides of the Atlantic who clearly love them. I haven't made any personal criticism of them or their music, other than referencing Charlie Brooker's caustic wit, which is his stock-in-trade, after all.

I can generally define what it is about the music I love that does it, but although they're not the first, M&S genuinely puzzle me - it just seems a bit too simplistic to put it down to 'taste'. You say you like folksy music, OK, what about it exactly? Can you be more precise?
[/quote]

That is why I like them. I like their music. I like folk and folkesque kinds of music. There's no way I could explain exactly WHY I like them, beyond what I have already said. Of course, explaining why you don't like something is a lot easier, I find.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1372838270' post='2130426']
I'd never heard of them before I watched the coverage & I have to say I loved their set.

People seem to forget that Glastonbury is a huge party, it may have a professional stage set up at one end but the punters are there to sing, dance, drink, laugh & have the time of their lives with their best mates. you may see a gig that looks & sounds crap on TV but is fantastic to be there.
Munford & sons was one of them gigs. It probably looked & sounded not so great but after being a Glastonbury regular I knew they would go down really well.

Last night my mate rang me as he'd just got back (He stayed for the after party that happens every year) and I asked him about Munford & son's, he told me that being in the crowd was a massive dancing knees up, people jigged, linked arms jumped around, laughed & played silly buggers all the way through their set. he said it was by far the best fun he'd ever had in front of the pyramid stage in all the years he'd been going.

Some people will always see something different to what the people there are seeing & hearing. which is the real shame of the Glastonbury coverage.

I did love their set, I admit I would not buy their music, but so what ? music is fun & to get joy out of music is the most amazing thing in the world, without that feeling of joy I would never bother making & listening to music anymore. because without that feeling of joy & surprise what is the point ?

If people hate/strongly dislike this band then fine, but why bitch about them for being offered & accepting the biggest gig of their lives ? If someone offered me this opportunity I would snap their hand off because that gig will stay with them for the rest of their lives....hats off to them because they did their best with what they had.

[/quote]

Quite right, Fumps, Quite right! :)

Simplicity in music is what punters like.
Love me Do had 2 chords (lets now go there just yet though ;) )

I liked the Mumfords first album (for a bit)
And then it went the way of Nirvana, Ocean Colour Scene and the Levellers, as it got played at me literally everywhere I went, while earnest dinner party guests asked me how good I thought they were, and continually played the sodding record all night, with their eyes closed... :(

Shame, cos the title track on Sigh No More, is a lovely build up of epic loveliness. It moves from a slow accappella chant (quite haunting) through to a fairly nice little song, and then into a foot-stomping maelstrom of intensity. Really very good. Course you may not agree, but that's fine.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7TrU4_-JTY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7TrU4_-JTY[/url]

Whereas the new album is tired old tosh with banjos, and I like banjos...
It's not folk, it's not bluegrass, it's not indie, it's not new, it's not amazing, but it is enjoyable, whereas Adele is unlistenable whiny bollocks, as is Jake Bugg. Despite the fact that many many people disagree with me about that, I must be right ;)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372849517' post='2130585']
The thing I dislike about Jake Bugg is that he is just a replica of Bob Dylan. Even down to how he sings, and the old style recording sound that Dylan had. Why bother? Sure, have Dylan as an influence, but why be an exact imitation?
[/quote]

No, he really really isn't.
Lightning Bolt was a brilliant song, if it was all old fashioned rock and roll like that i'd be happy.
Dylan never sang in a Nottingham accent.

Again, really not even close.
:)

They're a live band above all. When I first saw them on TV (on Jules I think) my reaction was there's a bunch of guys who work hard at kicking a show's ass, and I love that. Huge energy.

Add an exceptional ability to write uplifting choruses and that's a good recipe for success.

But what is this thing now with beards?

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1372850271' post='2130601']
No, he really really isn't.
Lightning Bolt was a brilliant song, if it was all old fashioned rock and roll like that i'd be happy.
Dylan never sang in a Nottingham accent.

Again, really not even close.
:)
[/quote]

Lies.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1372838270' post='2130426']

[/quote]

+1 Now, I get that completely! :)

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1372851420' post='2130629']
They're a live band above all. When I first saw them on TV (on Jules I think) my reaction was there's a bunch of guys who work hard at kicking a show's ass, and I love that. Huge energy.

Add an exceptional ability to write uplifting choruses and that's a good recipe for success.

But what is this thing now with beards?
[/quote]

I know - Ted Dwayne did have more than a passing resemblance to one of the Clampett family... all that was missing was a jug of moonshine. He was clearly having a ball, though!

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1372836815' post='2130406']
I don't really see the need to analyse it, but it's simple, well-crafted, danceable Indie Rock/Pop songs with banjos. Some people won't like it because they don't like Indie Rock. Some people won't like it because they don't like banjos. Some people won't like it because it's popular. Some people won't like it because they're folk fans, they see it being proclaimed as folk and don't see it as authentic enough.
[/quote]

Indie Rock/Pop? I thought they were English Folk/Rock! I'm confused! ;)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1372847971' post='2130559']
Simplicity in music is what punters like.
Love me Do had 2 chords (lets now go there just yet though ;) )

I liked the Mumfords first album (for a bit)
And then it went the way of Nirvana, Ocean Colour Scene and the Levellers, as it got played at me literally everywhere I went, while earnest dinner party guests asked me how good I thought they were, and continually played the sodding record all night, with their eyes closed... :(

Shame, cos the title track on Sigh No More, is a lovely build up of epic loveliness. It moves from a slow accappella chant (quite haunting) through to a fairly nice little song, and then into a foot-stomping maelstrom of intensity. Really very good. Course you may not agree, but that's fine.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7TrU4_-JTY[/media]

Whereas the new album is tired old tosh with banjos, and I like banjos...
It's not folk, it's not bluegrass, it's not indie, it's not new, it's not amazing, but it is enjoyable, whereas Adele is unlistenable whiny bollocks, as is Jake Bugg. Despite the fact that many many people disagree with me about that, I must be right ;)
[/quote]
I can honestly say that i didn't find that enjoyable at all. It was hardly the uplifting folkie strum-a-long i was anticipating so it's nil points from me.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1372850271' post='2130601']
No, he really really isn't.[/quote]

Not really, no. Unless Dylan had emerged from the Minnesota flatlands to suck helium and play someone else's songs.

OK, there's a superficial tonal resemblance, but - as some media outlet, I forget which, asserted - Mr Bugg's more akin to Lonnie Donegan.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWA997xM9MI[/media]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1372871877' post='2131031']
Indie Rock/Pop? I thought they were English Folk/Rock! I'm confused! ;)
[/quote]

It's just pop songs written to appeal to students, played on acoustic instruments.

I thought they were pretty good. I couldn't listen to a whole album or an entire gig's worth (well, not on the telly and without the real 'vibe' of being there), but they exceeded my expectations of them.

And for a band of this type, playing their type of music, to achieve the kind of mainstream recognition they've had...? I say good on them.

As for the posh wurzels stuff; there's plenty of trust fund kids in all walks of life and all genres of music. It doesn't really blip on my radar to be honest.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1372877801' post='2131115']
It's just pop songs written to appeal to students, played on acoustic instruments.
[/quote]

Why do I like them then?

It's just this or it's just that - These aren't reasons to like or dislike something. Face it, of you liked them, you wouldn't be saying stupid things like "they are just written to appeal to students". Bollocks! No band is going to pigeonhole themselves like that.