Why become a member? ×

I think I have a problem....

Damonjames

Hey guys I think I need to confess something here, and I'm a little ashamed to admit this. I'm a hard rock and metal fan from back in my early teens, and as such aspired to one day hold down the low end for a massive rock act. But recently I heard daft punk's new track, an all I want to do is chuck it all in and play in a funk band.... Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1371588411' post='2115994']
Hey guys I think I need to confess something here, and I'm a little ashamed to admit this. I'm a hard rock and metal fan from back in my early teens, and as such aspired to one day hold down the low end for a massive rock act. But recently I heard daft punk's new track, an all I want to do is chuck it all in and play in a funk band.... Has anyone else experienced similar issues?
[/quote]

Dude, who would have thought in 1986 that Metallica would play with an ochestra? Or in 1971 that Mick Jagger would do a camp version of a Motown tune with Bowie, or in 1968 that Macca would have done the frog song?

You get my drift?!!!

Embrace your evolution and 'Give Up The Funk'!!!

edit: er, 'Give Up The Funk' in a bad is good.kinda way. Just think of the Parliament tune, lol!

Edited by Chiliwailer

No, I don't have issues with being a little ashamed when admitting something. :D

Seriously though, and I don't know it it's similar enough, but though I love classical music, and it's the only type of music that I master, I can't for the life of me contemplate playing it for classical audiences. I dislike classical audiences, and would much rather play happy, funky music for happy, funky people. Funk is a good style for that. :)

best,
bert

Nothing wrong with broadening your music experience and scope. I have always been a 'metaller' since I was a teenager but during that time I was also playing in Brass Bands (wasn't the only heavy metal teenager in some of the bands too). Had to give up when I went into the workforce at 16, as I did not have the time.
Now I don't go out of my way to listen to brass band music but I was missing the fun that I had from playing music, so I joined a local carnival band 6-7 years later just for the fun of playing music and entertaining (Bournemouth Carnival Band - locals can now snigger, as they probably know what that means :) ).
I would personally play any type of music, if I enjoyed playing it (doesn't mean I would usually listen to it), as I think the enjoyment is in the playing. Problem is being good enough to play some types :unsure: .

As a confirmed punk, I was incredibly annoyed at myself liking Karma Chameleon by Culture Club in 1983. Know where you`re coming from, but, if the ears like, they like. Music is about enjoyment, not labels, go with the flow and funk out.

I think the Daft Punk track is ace, and I love Industrial Metal stuff like Ministry/Pitch Shifter etc. A good song is a good song, and if it floats your boat then it's all good. Anyway, the more influences you let in the more rounded player you become, IMHO.

You ain't got a problem, you're just not as limited as you thought you were :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1371632377' post='2116319']
Man.
You got funked up.
It'll pass. Don't sell yer plectrums.
[/quote]

Plectrums??? Fingers only here mate! Thanks for the support guys, it's true you never know where your musical journey will take you, now I've stumbles across a whole bunch if stuff from Nile Rodgerd about how he writes, BRILLIANT!

As the mighty George Clinton says ... [color=#ff8c00]Free [/color][color=#ee82ee]your[/color][color=#ff8c00] [/color][color=#0000ff]mind[/color][color=#ff8c00] [/color][color=#daa520]and[/color][color=#ff8c00] [/color][color=#800080]your[/color][color=#ff8c00] [/color][color=#ff0000]ass[/color][color=#ff8c00] [/color][color=#40e0d0]will[/color][color=#ff8c00] [/color][color=#00ff00]follow[/color]

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1371645907' post='2116532']
We all have guilty pleasures (musically), outside of the social image we create for ourselves, it just depends if you admit it and don't feel guilty I suppose.
[/quote]

Yup, though one should still insist on calling them guilty pleasures. Because Funner.

b,
b