Why become a member? ×

"Silent" jack plug?

onemanband

It's always been my policy to buy/use good quality leads and connectors, in the belief that you can have the best instrument and gear in the world, but it's only as good as the cable that connects them.

That said, I recently purchased a Neutrik "silent" right angled jack and fixed it to my bass lead, in order to avoid the terrible popping that occurs when I inadvertently forget to mute the channel before disconnecting; (the plug has a small sliding outer sleeve that shorts the hot and earth when removed).

I have also fitted these to my spare cables that I use for my acoustic guitars, but have found them to be a bit hit and miss, sometimes not silencing the cable (the outer sleeve sticks on the plug shaft), or remaining silent on re-inserting the jack (when swapping guitars etc).

I have now tried lubricating the jacks with some very light shaver oil and am waiting to see the long term result, hopefully that will cure it, but it's bloody annoying on a live show when your main instrument cable is hit and miss!!

Question is, has anybody else ever tried these Neutrik "silent" jacks, if so how have you found their reliability; I must confess, I was expecting better from Neutrik.

Edited by onemanband

I have had quite a few cases of the right-angled version disintegrating after about a year or so of constant hard use. There seems to be an inherent weakness where the jack fits into the body and any constant upward pressure eventually causes it to fail. I am making a collection of dead ones that I've replaced under warranty and will return them to Neutrik.

OT The very first batch of these were made with insufficient tolerance such that the sliding sleeve got stuck very easily. I guess that there could still a few of these in circulation. The later ones moved much more freely but have other problems as I have mentioned.

Not one of their best products and I usually try to steer folk away from them unless they are determined to have one.

[quote name='onemanband' timestamp='1365694006' post='2043076']
It's always been my policy to buy/use good quality leads and connectors, in the belief that you can have the best instrument and gear in the world but it's only as good as the cable that connects them.

That said, I recently purchased a Neutrik "silent" right angled jack and fixed it to my bass lead, in order to avoid the terrible popping that occurs when I inadvertently forget to mute the channel before disconnecting; (the plug has a small outer sleeve that shorts the hot and earth the cable when removed).

I have also fitted these to my spare cables that I also use for my acoustic guitars, but have found them to be a bit hit and miss, sometimes not silencing the cable (the outer sleeve sticks on the plug shaft), or remaining silent on re-inserting the jack (when swapping guitars etc).

I have now tried lubricating the jacks with some very light shaver oil and am waiting to see the long term result, hopefully that will cure it, but it's bloody annoying on a live show when your main instrument cable is hit and miss!!

Question is, has anybody else ever tried these Neutrik "silent" jacks, if so how have you found their reliability; I must confess, I was expecting better from Neutrik.
[/quote]
I have EXACTLY that problem on my angle Neutrik. It's always a bit hit and miss.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1365702654' post='2043278']
Excellent....ordered one earlier this week and now this is posted! I guess that's bass player timing for you!
[/quote]

:D :D :D

Sorry, but your response made me laugh out loud; congrats on a great sense of humour!!

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1365698526' post='2043190']
I've used a straight one of these for yonks with no problem - maybe the right-angled one has a problem?

G.
[/quote]

^this.
This is the second time I've heard of an angled one doing that - but like Geoff I've had a straight one (for years) with no issues so far.

I've had a hit-and-miss right-angled one for years that I didn't use because I felt I couldn't trust it, so I only used it with my practice amp in the house. Only the other day, on unplugging it from my bass I heard a tinkling sound as something fell to the floor. I realised it was the moving ring on the shaft of the jack that had come off, but it was silver, not gold like the rest of the plug, and also looked rather small. I figured out it was the inner ring, but couldn't find the gold outer one anywhere. Resigned to the fact it was knackered for good, but I could perhaps put a new plug on and still get some use out of the rest of the cable, I cut the plug off and threw it in the bin.

It was only when I came to pick up my bass again later that same day that I found the outer ring, stuck over the slightly protruding shaft of the jack socket of my bass. In short, the 'silent jack' is a good idea, but in this case just poorly executed.

As creatures of habit and little constant thought, why does it come more natural to plug into the amp end first?

Also, if you practice with an an active bass, leaving everything plugged in when you finish, but just cracking the bass end out to save the battery, next time it's somehow more natural to turn the amp on first.

Can't think why, but hence 'Silent' plugs are on most of the leads I make, great product.

I found that the sleeve gets stuck at the slightest bend or angle in the jack. I 'straighened' a stuck one and it's been fine since but don't tread on them or allow it to fall.

I have 4 or 5 of these, one lost it's ability to isolate but all are in regular use. To be honest they still allow the occasional 'Clonk'.

One thing that has worried me, only in thought, not fact, is that is puts another mechanical contact in the signal chain, potentially compromising the signal quality.

I just bought one and much prefer the planet waves curcuit breaker.
Mine works unplugging but not plugging in so i dont really see the point as you would have to mute the source anyway to plug back in. Except of course at the end of the gig, but the then the amps going off anyway. I love using the curcuit breaker mid rehearsal/gig so I can unplug without stressing out the sound guy ,save the battery, wait for amp to power down the amp, move about etc..

Edited by geoffbassist

I've had a straight one and an angled one fail, so I don't think there's much to choose. Unfortunately I didn't realise they have a lifetime guarantee and binned the bits.

I've been using an angled one for about a year now and it's been OK, but it's only had light use. If I could get away without one, I wouldn't bother.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1365752027' post='2043780']
As creatures of habit and little constant thought, why does it come more natural to plug into the amp end first?

Also, if you practice with an an active bass, leaving everything plugged in when you finish, but just cracking the bass end out to save the battery, next time it's somehow more natural to turn the amp on first.

Can't think why, but hence 'Silent' plugs are on most of the leads I make, great product.

I found that the sleeve gets stuck at the slightest bend or angle in the jack. I 'straighened' a stuck one and it's been fine since but don't tread on them or allow it to fall.

I have 4 or 5 of these, one lost it's ability to isolate but all are in regular use. To be honest they still allow the occasional 'Clonk'.

One thing that has worried me, only in thought, not fact, is that is puts another mechanical contact in the signal chain, potentially compromising the signal quality.
[/quote]
Why not just make it the norm to unplug from the amp first/plug in last?
When I started playing there were none of these thing around, and owners of amps and PA systems did NOT spare the rod if you created a loud bang through their gear! :lol:

I've got one of these - a straight one. I did have a second lead made up with one, not sure where that is. I found with the first lead that one or two of my basses wouldn't hold the plug in tight enough and it could slip out a little and switch me off (never used it at a gig because of that).

I use it with my bass trainer at home - means I can unplug my active basses and save the batteries without having to unplug the bass trainer end first.

I had one many years ago - it eventually fell to bits (can't remember if it was Neutrik or another brand).

Now I just use the volume pedal on my GT-6B between sets :) I get no pops at all - just the occasional silence when I forget to 'floor' the pedal again after the break! :D

Well, thanks for the interesting and varied responses, so many differing opinions; there certainly seems to be an issue with the r/a jacks.

I bought the silent plugs as a sort of "belt & braces" type of remedy for the occasional time I do forget to mute or unplug at the amp end first, (mind on other things, like the blonde at the back or who's round it is :) ); I just never expected an issue with anything that says "Neutrik" on it.
Meanwhile, I'm going to see how it goes, having put some very light shaver oil on the sliding sleeve, if that doesn't work, then it's back to fixed jacks.

Edited by onemanband