Why become a member? ×

"Silent" jack plug?

onemanband

[quote name='onemanband' timestamp='1365772417' post='2044277']
Well, thanks for the interesting and varied responses, so many differing opinions; there certainly seems to be an issue with the r/a jacks.

I bought the silent plugs as a sort of "belt & braces" type of remedy for the occasional time I do forget to mute or unplug at the amp end first, (mind on other things, like the blonde at the back or who's round it is :) ); I just never expected an issue with anything that says "Neutrik" on it.
Meanwhile, I'm going to see how it goes, having put some very light shaver oil on the sliding sleeve, if that doesn't work, then it's back to fixed jacks.
[/quote]

Check that it's straight

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1365752027' post='2043780']
As creatures of habit ...
[/quote]

Quite. As a creature of habit I turn the gain to 0 or hit the mute button before plugging in or unplugging anything.

Seems another over-engineered solution to a problem that didn't exist.

I've had five of these so far, three straight and one angled. I've had two failures, both the straight ones and both failed to reconnect though the ring still moved freely in both cases. I've never had so much as a pop out of them though, totally silent in my experience.

I really like them so I've just replaced them and i carry plenty of spare leads so no problem.

Neutrik really ought to have a look though if 30%ish are failing in fairly short time spans

I got a lead about 5 years ago with Neutrik jacks, one end being a straight silent. Failed after 3 months, so I chopped it off & bought an ordinary decent 1/4 jack & soldered it on. Silent jack has been in my spares toolbox for the past 5 years waiting on me getting time to see if I can fix it.

Didn't know they had a lifetime guarantee though.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1365776491' post='2044370']
Quite. As a creature of habit I turn the gain to 0 or hit the mute button before plugging in or unplugging anything.

[/quote]

Apparently under-engineered for problem people, like me.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1365776491' post='2044370']

[/quote]

My amp doesn't have a mute, and the DI is post-everything. The silent jack works a treat fer me.

I had a problem with the right angle ones's sleeves sticking a few years ago and contacted Neutrik about it. They said (as someone has mentioned here already) that early batches had a problem with tolerances. They asked for my address and although I only originally had two, they sent me four of the new design - and I've not had a problem since.

OK, they had a problem originally but seem to have owned up to it and behaved very well over it. Excellent customer service as far as I can see.

The only problem I have had is with [i]some[/i] active basses if you plug it in quickly the electronics still seem to be powering up when it un-mutes, and you get a thump. The answer is to plug it in up to the sleeve (hence powering up the preamp), wait a second, and then push it the rest of the way.

If you find that the pressure on the sleeve is pushing your plug out of the socket then I think you probably have a knackered socket.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1365783071' post='2044543']

My amp doesn't have a mute, and the DI is post-everything. The silent jack works a treat fer me.
[/quote]

Pre-everything.

That's a good point. If you're going straight into a DI box it might make sense.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1365787389' post='2044632']
I've tried the 90' silent jacks, didn't think much of them. I too found they were pretty hit-and-miss, to the extent that I'd switch my amp off before unplugging the bass as you could never be sure when a speaker splitting 'pop' was going to happen!
[/quote]

Not saying its what's happened but the original and revised ones are pretty well indistinguishable by eye, so perhaps there is some old stock lying around in suppliers. Alternatively I may have been lucky and got some good revised ones.

Well, that's it for me!!! :angry:

Two gigs over the weekend, BOTH guitar cables fitted with the "Neutrik" silent jacks failed miserably, both in silencing the signal and making it live again on re-inserting the jack; (the muting sleeve kept sticking)............. very disappointing in a live show!!
It's back to "normal" jacks for me and I shall contact Neurtik to see what they have to say.

Edited by onemanband

[quote name='onemanband' timestamp='1366028137' post='2047389']
Well, that's it for me!!! :angry:

Two gigs over the weekend, BOTH guitar cables fitted with the "Neutrik" silent jacks failed miserably, both in silencing the signal and making it live again on re-inserting the jack; (the muting sleeve kept sticking)............. very disappointing in a live show!!
It's back to "normal" jacks for me and I shall contact Neurtik to see what they have to say.
[/quote]

Let us know what they say won't you, please.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1365776491' post='2044370'] Quite. As a creature of habit I turn the gain to 0 or hit the mute button before plugging in or unplugging anything. Seems another over-engineered solution to a problem that didn't exist. [/quote]

At home it saves me unplugging the lead from the bass trainer first or fiddling with the minute gain control (at the moment I don't use it live). Makes life a little easier. Do you use a remote control for your telly?

I tried one on one of my leads before realising that they don't really work with most active instruments! You still get that bang when you push it in......

From the neutrik silent jack web page:

[b]ATTENTION![/b]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]For use with instrument (guitar) applications only. Damage may occur if connected to amplifier output.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Please note that the signal isn't muted with some types of active electric guitars which are equipped with tip-ring-sleeve jacks thtat tap to activate the guitar power supply.[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1366198064' post='2049430']
Plus the indeed.

Bangy noises are the gentleman's way of alerting one's audience to imminent on-stage activity.
[/quote]

Just out of interest has anybody ever actually blown up a speaker/amp by plugging/unplugging whilst it was on? I've been doing it for 25 or so years now, and never broken anything (except a couple of nervous types hearts) :)

So I contacted Neutrik, who concurred that they did have an issue with a faulty batch of these 90º "silent" jacks some time ago.

I sent them the two of mine that were dodgy and they sent me back (by return),[b] four[/b] of the new upgraded ones.

Gud on ya Neutrik, 10/10 for customer service!! :)

Edited by onemanband

[quote name='onemanband' timestamp='1366200942' post='2049482']
So I contacted Neutrik, who concurred that they did have an issue with a faulty batch of these 90º "silent" jacks some time ago.

I sent them the two of mine that were dodgy and they sent me back (by return),[b] four[/b] of the new upgraded ones.

Gud on ya Neutrik, 10/10 for customer service!! :)
[/quote]

Same experience I had.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1366199271' post='2049449']
I tried one on one of my leads before realising that they don't really work with most active instruments! You still get that bang when you push it in......

From the neutrik silent jack web page:

[b]ATTENTION![/b]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]For use with instrument (guitar) applications only. Damage may occur if connected to amplifier output.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Please note that the signal isn't muted with some types of active electric guitars which are equipped with tip-ring-sleeve jacks thtat tap to activate the guitar power supply.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

No guarantee, but try pushing it in up to the ring (oooer missus), wait a second, and then push it fully home. Works for me (Ibanez SR505 & GWB35, and two fender urges)