Why become a member? ×

how long should I wait before I start asking for moderator help?

alyctes

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1359617930' post='1957500']That's very understanding of you, but the fact that 12 days after the purchase you had corrrspondence but no bass is a worry. Of course I don't know the content of the mesage, but presuming you paid by paypal for a sale you might only have 30 days in which to open a dispute. I'd bear that in mind. I hope you get sorted.[/quote]

This is really important. If you haven't already you should contact the seller with this information and inform him that if you don't have your goods within x days you will be disputing the payment. And definitely *do* open the dispute before the 30 days if you haven't received the goods, don't be put off by anything the seller has to say. If the goods subsequently arrive then you can resolve the dispute but if you wait you are going to have a real headache getting your money back.

Good luck with it and sorry to hear you've had a bad experience buying on here.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1359664099' post='1958558']
Why don't you go round his recent posts start quoting them and asking for some attention , he may get the hint if he is following some threads , it probably is a bit dodgy forum ettiquette , but might just kick something into life
[/quote]

The bad guy deserves dodgy forum ettiquette. There's a bloke on here flipping two basses at an attempted profit over his buying prices of £800+
That is bad enough.
THIS LENGTH OF TIME to get a bass sent is not bad enough, it is totally UNACCEPTABLE. Name and let him explain!

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1359664099' post='1958558']
Why don't you go round his recent posts start quoting them and asking for some attention , he may get the hint if he is following some threads , it probably is a bit dodgy forum ettiquette , but might just kick something into life
[/quote]

Because at the moment I'm dealing with it mate.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1359661763' post='1958522']

This is really important. If you haven't already you should contact the seller with this information and inform him that if you don't have your goods within x days you will be disputing the payment. And definitely *do* open the dispute before the 30 days if you haven't received the goods, don't be put off by anything the seller has to say. If the goods subsequently arrive then you can resolve the dispute but if you wait you are going to have a real headache getting your money back.

Good luck with it and sorry to hear you've had a bad experience buying on here.
[/quote]

Unfortunately the buyer has since confirmed the deal was done as a paypal 'gift', so no come-back on that side.

The seller being online this week pretty much rules out the chance of him being incapacitated for one reason or another.

Thankfully not the norm for BC, so I hope it gets resolved soon.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1359661347' post='1958507']
it seems to be the norm for sellers to request paypal gift or BACS on basschat, or ask the buyer to pay extra to cover fees. i didn't realise the 'gift' had no comeback via paypal so maybe the mods should put some advice as a sticky? personally i think if you take paypal payment you should take the fees as the seller, not the buyer.
[/quote]

It's a matter for negotiation between the parties involved but it should be seen as sensible insurance. By the way, protection also only applies if you post (or send by carrier) the item and you have proof you sent it. Again, if you meet up or send the bass up the other end of the country with your mate, no deal.

It really is massively false economy to send expensive items around and scrimp on insurance and proper protection.

Can I ask if steps have been taken to ensure that the seller isn't/hasn't been doing any further deals? Patently the Mods don'r want to slander this guy if he has done nothing wrong and is simply out of the loop but it would be reassuring to know that in the meantime he is being monitored! :unsure:

Yes it is being monitored. I've found other for sale items from this member and unapproved the topics so the OP can't access them and members can't see them.

I can understand everyones concern, but i am dealing with the problem and keeping the other mods informed.....just give us a bit of time eh :)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1359664869' post='1958570']
There's a bloke on here flipping two basses at an attempted profit over his buying prices of £800+
That is bad enough.
[/quote]

I don't really see why thats a problem. You buy something, its yours. A seller can ask for as much as they want for something---its buyers who will decide if that price is appropriate or not.

Is selling a 50s precision bass for a lot more than its original purchase price a no-no?

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1359670844' post='1958723']
Yes it is being monitored. I've found other for sale items from this member and unapproved the topics so the OP can't access them and members can't see them.

I can understand everyones concern, but i am dealing with the problem and keeping the other mods informed.....just give us a bit of time eh :)
[/quote]

..and not panic into judgement and harsh sanctions. Thanks to our Mods.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1359671907' post='1958755']
In this sort of situation I'd pay through paypal, but use my credit card, not the "normal" paypal account method. This way you're covered by the credit act consumer protection.
[/quote]

Be careful with this. In the past I've had the credit card company claim that their transaction was with paypal and anything that happened beyond that was not their responsibility. A quick email of complaint and they changed their mind as a 'goodwill gesture' in my situation though ; )

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1359674285' post='1958805']
..and not panic into judgement and harsh sanctions. Thanks to our Mods.
[/quote]

+1. I'm grateful for their help and reassured by their efforts.

Edited by alyctes

[size=5][b]BC Mod Fanclub 'Normal People' Crossover Shock[/b][/size]
[size=5][b][size=3]Poll shows Public asking: 'Why can't society be like BassChat?'[/size][/b][/size]
[size=5][b][size=3]Low end gab enforcers tapped for Argie negotiations[/size][/b][/size]

[size=3]Bob and Betsy from Oregon: 'We lerve your [s]Queen[/s] mods'[/size]

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1359673343' post='1958788']

I don't really see why thats a problem. You buy something, its yours. A seller can ask for as much as they want for something---its buyers who will decide if that price is appropriate or not.

Is selling a 50s precision bass for a lot more than its original purchase price a no-no?
[/quote]

I'm inclined to agree. Lots of people lose money on most basses they sell. If someone makes a bit of profit now and then I can't see what's wrong?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1359718056' post='1959197']
I'm inclined to agree. Lots of people lose money on most basses they sell. If someone makes a bit of profit now and then I can't see what's wrong?
[/quote]

True. I don't really like this idea that Basschat should always offer mates' rates. :(

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1359718436' post='1959218']
True. I don't really like this idea that Basschat should always offer mates' rates. :(
[/quote]

I don't think it's so much "mates rates" as buying and selling for what it's worth. I don't think anyone would complain about someone buying a vintage fender off of them on here and then 10 years later selling it for more as it would have appreciated in value.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1359718436' post='1959218']
[/quote]

I have never really thought they were 'mate's rates'. I see it as offering a decent price to compensate for not having to pay ebay and paypal fees.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359728662' post='1959493']
I have never really thought they were 'mate's rates'. I see it as offering a decent price to compensate for not having to pay ebay and paypal fees.
[/quote]

Oh yeah - absolutely. I was really replying to an earlier post that suggested that someone was somehow being greedy and unsporting by trying to sell at a price higher than the one that they (the earlier poster) had in mind. I think that's niggardly and unfair.

Nobody on here deserves a special price [i]just[/i] because they are a member of this site. That's the point I was trying to make... :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1359731382' post='1959544']
Oh yeah - absolutely. I was really replying to an earlier post that suggested that someone was somehow being greedy and unsporting by trying to sell at a price higher than the one that they (the earlier poster) had in mind. I think that's niggardly and unfair.

Nobody on here deserves a special price [i]just[/i] because they are a member of this site. That's the point I was trying to make... :)
[/quote]

I completely agree :)