Why become a member? ×

how long should I wait before I start asking for moderator help?

alyctes

When you've bought a bass here, and paid the money, how long is it reasonable to wait for something to happen? A week? Two weeks?

I won't name the seller, at this stage. But he's had the money since 7th January, and I've had one apologetic PM (on the 19th) and nothing since.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1359552027' post='1956448']
When you've bought a bass here, and paid the money, how long is it reasonable to wait for something to happen? A week? Two weeks?

I won't name the seller, at this stage. But he's had the money since 7th January, and I've had one apologetic PM (on the 19th) and nothing since.
[/quote] probably now if that was the question you're asking.

Also look at if they are longstanding member who else is from the area. There are clumps of people who know each other on here - so for instance a PM to one of their friends could result in some kind of explanation "oh yeah it's crap, he's having major surgery/his wife left him two weeks ago and his life fell apart/he's a bawbag, ill get onto him for you" or something

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1359553289' post='1956481']
Also look at if they are longstanding member who else is from the area. There are clumps of people who know each other on here - so for instance a PM to one of their friends could result in some kind of explanation "oh yeah it's crap, he's having major surgery/his wife left him two weeks ago and his life fell apart/he's a bawbag, ill get onto him for you" or something
[/quote]

Good advice. And in reply to the original question - you have already waited too long :(

Have you tried calling him? Give him a bell and see what the score is. By and large, I don't think there are many rip off merchants operating here. We seem pretty good at filtering them out. But some people can be a bit lax with their end of the bargain, or he may have some personal stuff going on. A telephone call should motivate him to get this sorted!

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1359552027' post='1956448']
............he's had the money since 7th January, and I've had one apologetic PM (on the 19th) and nothing since.[/quote]

Has he logged in since then?...... that's easy to find out.
If he has then it's not as easy to explain away. If he hasn't it makes you perhaps think something else has occupied his time.

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1359553241' post='1956480']
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything a moderator can do to help. I think the T's and C's clearly state BC is not responsible.

Did you use paypal or anything else that might have offered you some protection?
[/quote]

Mods can't do anything legally but they do hold some sway within the BC community and even if nothing else, they can stop the offending member trading over BC again.

I got sold a bass which then needed over £100 of repairs. I went ahead after speaking to the seller and he agreed to cover half the costs. After getting the repairs sorted, he ignored anything I sent to him. To cut a long story short, instead of sticking to what he agreed to, he'd gone around telling as many people as would listen that I was getting the bass modified and was expecting him to pay half for the mods (despite him seeing the reciept). He still owes me £50 but he won't be trading on BC again and I did get a long winded and totally pointless reply from him trying to worm his way out of the mess he'd caused.

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1359553241' post='1956480']
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything a moderator can do to help. I think the T's and C's clearly state BC is not responsible.

Did you use paypal or anything else that might have offered you some protection?
[/quote]

I paid via PayPal, but at this stage I'd rather know the seller is OK than just assume he's a chancer.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1359592265' post='1957392']

I paid via PayPal, but at this stage I'd rather know the seller is OK than just assume he's a chancer.
[/quote]

That's very understanding of you, but the fact that 12 days after the purchase you had corrrspondence but no bass is a worry. Of course I don't know the content of the mesage, but presuming you paid by paypal for a sale you might only have 30 days in which to open a dispute. I'd bear that in mind. I hope you get sorted.

Delays can happen but there are very very few occasions where a quick pm or email from a seller by way of explanation cannot be sent.

Personally if I were the seller and was having problems I would still have messaged you, and would have found the time to do this even if I found myself in the midst of dire personal circumstances. It's called responsibility and courtesy, and I would have to have basically died to not have been in touch.

C

It's unacceptable in my view.
Whenever I sell something it is an immediate priority to get the goods to the buyer, basically at the point i receive the payment the item belongs to them and it is my duty to ensure the goods are with them as soon as possible, and that they are fully kept in the loop as to when it will be picked up from me and delivered to them - I expect the same courtesy when buying.

I would have been on to Paypal way before now, if you get the refund and the seller kicks off about it, then you can always re-send payment, but the fact that you have waited and still have no idea if/when you'll receive the goods is totally unacceptable.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1359632455' post='1957813']
Whenever I sell something it is an immediate priority to get the goods to the buyer, basically at the point i receive the payment the item belongs to them and it is my duty to ensure the goods are with them as soon as possible, and that they are fully kept in the loop as to when it will be picked up from me and delivered to them - I expect the same courtesy when buying.
[/quote]

Yep. Me too. I would like to think that everybody thought like that.

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1359617930' post='1957500']
That's very understanding of you, but the fact that 12 days after the purchase you had corrrspondence but no bass is a worry. Of course I don't know the content of the mesage, but presuming you paid by paypal for a sale you might only have 30 days in which to open a dispute. I'd bear that in mind. I hope you get sorted.
[/quote]

Thank you, that's a good point :)

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1359632455' post='1957813']

[/quote]

Yeah - I sorta go along with this. Comms is what it's all about though. Paying for something and then not having it in your possession 3 weeks later is one (bad) thing. Not having heard from the bloke during the three weeks is quite another... And the other thing - buying stuff on here is no different than buying anything anywhere else. Don't part with your cash unless you're completely happy to and as ever - caveat emptor. Just because someone posts on Basschat doesn't mean they're [i]necessarily [/i]a good egg.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1359638479' post='1958013']
I'd be more concerned if it was a relative newbie too, rather than a long established member.
[/quote]

Quite. The bad uns get weeded out.

Edited by bigjohn

Gift, naturally. I'd never used PayPal before becoming a BC member, and it seems to be the normal method here. I am suitably educated :|

The seller has been a BC member longer than I have, and I've dealt with him before (for a much smaller item).

Edited by alyctes