Why become a member? ×

how long should I wait before I start asking for moderator help?

alyctes

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1359640208' post='1958060']
Don't ever, ever, pay by PayPal gift. It's only for cash gifts. You have no comeback at all (from PayPal).
[/quote]

In principle I completely agree, but everything I've bought and sold on BC has been via PayPal gift :blush:. I know it's risky, but all the people I've bought from were long established members, had lots of posts and all had good feedback. All were great to deal with.

I haven't nor won't buy off the people who join (or at least appear to join) BC just to flog something. They may be genuine, but I think the BC marketplace is built on a community spirit that involves building trust with other members.

Having said all this, buying basses or amps of any real value are probably the only things I'd really want the protection of PayPal for.

I hope the this was all a misunderstanding and that the OP gets sorted, but I do agree with the previous posters.....once money has exchanged hands the seller has a responsibility to live up to their part of the bargain come hell or high water. There are very few excuses that would be acceptable in this particular case.

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1359641199' post='1958086']
In principle I completely agree, but everything I've bought and sold on BC has been via PayPal gift :blush:. I know it's risky, but all the people I've bought from were long established members, had lots of posts and all had good feedback. All were great to deal with.

I haven't nor won't buy off the people who join (or at least appear to join) BC just to flog something. They may be genuine, but I think the BC marketplace is built on a community spirit that involves building trust with other members.

Having said all this, buying basses or amps of any real value are probably the only things I'd really want the protection of PayPal for.

I hope the this was all a misunderstanding and that the OP gets sorted, but I do agree with the previous posters.....once money has exchanged hands the seller has a responsibility to live up to their part of the bargain come hell or high water. There are very few excuses that would be acceptable in this particular case.
[/quote]

I agree almost completely, except for the paypal gift bit. Paypal will just put their %s up to cover the costs of dishonest gifting. So we all pay in the end. If someone doesn't want to pay the paypal fees, they should supply their bank account details and use BACS. I refuse to use the gift option these days, although I have a couple of times in the past at the seller's request. Never again.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1359640948' post='1958082']
So, did you call him?

(I wonder if he's read this thread yet?)
[/quote]

No, I haven't got a phone number for him (nor have I usually had one when I've traded here). I could email him via his PayPal address, I suppose, but I have no way of knowing how often that gets used.

(I don't know if he's read this thread, but I have PMed him that it exists.)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1359642396' post='1958104']
I tend to use bank transfer, is there any protection in doing it though?

Also never been swindled on here, infact I've never had a transaction take much thinking about at all :)
[/quote]

So do I, and I don't think there is.

I don't know (yet) what's happened, but this is the first time I've had a transaction here go bad in this sort of way.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359642067' post='1958099']
I agree almost completely, except for the paypal gift bit. Paypal will just put their %s up to cover the costs of dishonest gifting. So we all pay in the end. If someone doesn't want to pay the paypal fees, they should supply their bank account details and use BACS. I refuse to use the gift option these days, although I have a couple of times in the past at the seller's request. Never again.
[/quote]

That's an interesting point re re PayPal hiking up their fees.....I hadn't thought of it like that before. I only learnt of the paypal gift option on BC as it happens, and wouldn't trust using it outside of BC. I can totally see how the gift option exposes both buyer and seller though.

Unfortunately, the bank transfer option is a little more complicated when outside of the UK, but probably not insurmountable. I suppose the same level of trust is required there too.

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1359641199' post='1958086']
[size=4][/quote][/size]

[size=4]I've got a couple of spiffy bargains off some chaps who have done this. Pay by paypal, and you've got comeback. I've got some stuff from a few guys who are purely here to buy and sell, you never see them in the main forums, but they have solid feedback threads. [/size][size=4]S'all good. Don't gift or bank transfer to anyone you're not sure about (this does not include me, i am 100% trustworthy, honest guv) :)[/size]

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1359642595' post='1958111']
No, I haven't got a phone number for him (nor have I usually had one when I've traded here). I could email him via his PayPal address, I suppose, but I have no way of knowing how often that gets used.

(I don't know if he's read this thread, but I have PMed him that it exists.)
[/quote] what have the mods said? Have you chatted to any locals to him on here too? You say the fella's been one here for at least 3 years, you've traded before... look at his feedback thread and start contacting other folk he's traded with, one of them may have phone number/address for him.
Email him via his paypal address! That would be more useful than starting this thread! you don't know if he gets it true.. but if you PMed me on Basschat the only way I would know is if I came onto basschat. You email me and my phone starts blinking at me....

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1359646206' post='1958178']
what have the mods said? Have you chatted to any locals to him on here too? You say the fella's been one here for at least 3 years, you've traded before... look at his feedback thread and start contacting other folk he's traded with, one of them may have phone number/address for him.
Email him via his paypal address! That would be more useful than starting this thread! you don't know if he gets it true.. but if you PMed me on Basschat the only way I would know is if I came onto basschat. You email me and my phone starts blinking at me....
[/quote]

Johngh is investigating.
Thanks for the point about people's methods of notification.

FWIW, the "seller" has been on BC at least three times in the last week, but has not looked at the PM thread since the 19th.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359642067' post='1958099']

[/quote]

How does paypal work in this respect? If someone sends money as a gift either the sender or recipient has to pickup the fees - usually the sender, as I thought that was the point of requesting payment as a gift. So I not sure how this is dishonest or why paypal would need to up their fees to cover money sent this way? I thought the only difference was you get the option of who pays the fees, and of course no buyer protection.

I've made payment as a purchase in the past, but checked the fees beforehand by looking at the fee for sending as a gift and then adding the amount on to the money I'm sending. Have I been short changing the seller or something???

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1359649099' post='1958224']
How does paypal work in this respect? If someone sends money as a gift either the sender or recipient has to pickup the fees - usually the sender, as I thought that was the point of requesting payment as a gift. So I not sure how this is dishonest or why paypal would need to up their fees to cover money sent this way? I thought the only difference was you get the option of who pays the fees, and of course no buyer protection.

I've made payment as a purchase in the past, but checked the fees beforehand by looking at the fee for sending as a gift and then adding the amount on to the money I'm sending. Have I been short changing the seller or something???
[/quote]

If I understand the [url="https://cms.paypal.com/al/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full#Exhibit%20A%20-%20Fees."]paypal website correctly[/url], then the fees work like this:

1. For buying goods etc,[b] the seller[/b] pays fees of 3.4% + 20p

2. For sending personal payments, then if the money comes directly from a paypal balance, or from your bank account (ie not a credit/debit card), then there are no fees for anyone. If you pay by credit/debit card, then there are fees of 3.4% + 20p payable to paypal, but the[b] sender chooses who pays the fee[/b].

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1359648707' post='1958217']FWIW, the "seller" has been on BC at least three times in the last week, but has not looked at the PM thread since the 19th.[/quote]

If that was me in your position; as soon as I discovered that, my very next move would have been onto Paypal for the refund; if that's possible from what's currently under discussion about "gifts" and such.

Whatever happens make sure you leave suitably honest feedback. I have a similar thing that the mods were able to resolve - using The Force I imagine - and left unemotional feedback for the seller after a few days when I had calmed down. Make sure it's truthful with some idea of the the various milestones in the time line.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1359650671' post='1958261']

If I understand the [url="https://cms.paypal.com/al/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full#Exhibit%20A%20-%20Fees."]paypal website correctly[/url], then the fees work like this:

1. For buying goods etc,[b] the seller[/b] pays fees of 3.4% + 20p

2. For sending personal payments, then if the money comes directly from a paypal balance, or from your bank account (ie not a credit/debit card), then there are no fees for anyone. If you pay by credit/debit card, then there are fees of 3.4% + 20p payable to paypal, but the[b] sender chooses who pays the fee[/b].
[/quote]

Ah, thanks for that. My account is linked to my card, so it looks like I've been sending the correct amount. :)

it seems to be the norm for sellers to request paypal gift or BACS on basschat, or ask the buyer to pay extra to cover fees. i didn't realise the 'gift' had no comeback via paypal so maybe the mods should put some advice as a sticky? personally i think if you take paypal payment you should take the fees as the seller, not the buyer.