Why become a member? ×

how long should I wait before I start asking for moderator help?

alyctes

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1359827010' post='1960888']

seriously?

I am, like many others here, in both Talkbass and Basschat. In Basschat since 2010 and in Talkbass since 2007. By far this is the friendliest of the two. There are great people over at TB, but there is more of a sycophantic attitude when it comes to "respected long standing members", and a more aggressive discussion where opinion and fact are often treated as one and the same.

I can only think that if someone starts here and as a newbie has "bad experiences" it's probably down to their attitude. Some people come here guns blazing (inti, where are you? ;)) and then get upset that people here don't like their attitude.

My observation here is that if you are cool and treat people respectfully here, you get treated the same way. Oh, and mods are not some kind of power hungry wanna be policemen over here.

Like I said, I am still on TB, but I only check it once in a while. I don't really like it there that much, but it's big and it can be a good source of information, if you are well equipped to filter the crap (like in any other forum, really).
[/quote]

This is a much, much friendlier place than TB, without question, the mod and admin team over here are considerably better too and have way more patience in dealing with things. TB seems to be populated by fads and half-truths largely, although the second thing can be an issue here too people on the whole seem a little more open-minded.

I have no experience with buying on TB so I can't comment but this is by far the best trading post for basses that I can think of that I've used on the internet.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1359805655' post='1960494']
I can't help but think of talkbass, where there is a community of long standing members with high post counts. There are also a seemingly endless amount of newer members who like to disparage and deride others over the internet. The mods to their credit do try to keep on top of things, but inevitably this has led to a lot of rules and an outright banning of certain topics.

I know this has exercised the minds of the mods on here, but I can't help but wonder if BC will end up going the same route.
[/quote]

There are a lot of things that 'could' be done to make things easier for the mods here, but easy isn't always best. :)

Yes, we have a set of rules and we do enforce them but those rules are there to promote inclusivity and prevent the 'feel' of BassChat being diluted.

The mod team are also pretty 'laid back', always give people the benefit of the doubt and try to resolve issues without resorting to using a big stick.

We like it best that way and I'm sure most people here do as well. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1359829879' post='1960944']The mod team are also pretty 'laid back', always give people the benefit of the doubt and try to resolve issues without resorting to using a big stick.[/quote]

Overall yes, but like all things there are exceptions, IME.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1359847556' post='1961262']

[url=http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons.php][/url]
[/quote]

MESSAGE TO ALL MODS:

DAD3353 KNOWS WE ARE SUPER HUMAN STOP
SUGGEST WIPING HIS MEMORY ASAP STOP
HOW DO I MAKE THIS FULL STOP STOP STOP

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1359854772' post='1961332']
MESSAGE TO ALL MODS:

DAD3353 KNOWS WE ARE SUPER HUMAN STOP
SUGGEST WIPING HIS MEMORY ASAP STOP...
[/quote]

Oh bugger..!

[url="http://www.smileyvault.com/"][/url]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1359827476' post='1960900']
This is a much, much friendlier place than TB, without question, the mod and admin team over here are considerably better too and have way more patience in dealing with things. TB seems to be populated by fads and half-truths largely, although the second thing can be an issue here too people on the whole seem a little more open-minded.

[/quote]

Maybe something to do with it being largely populated by ignorant Americans. (Ignorant Americans are very common, but very important that we distinguish them from the decent Americans, because there are plenty of them too, they probably just have the sense to shout their mouths :D)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1359827010' post='1960888']

seriously?

I am, like many others here, in both Talkbass and Basschat. In Basschat since 2010 and in Talkbass since 2007. By far this is the friendliest of the two. There are great people over at TB, but there is more of a sycophantic attitude when it comes to "respected long standing members", and a more aggressive discussion where opinion and fact are often treated as one and the same.

[/quote]

Basschat is far superior for discussion. Not that I didn't see the best and worst of Talkbass over several years using the site, and 17,000 posts there. Ultimately, I got into dispute with the mods there, ostensibly because I had criticised a player. That player was also a member on the site and I was pulled for some arbitrary rule violation, purporting that my posts were offensive to that member and hence I was in breach of a rule.

The dispute rumbled on for a while, and I locked horns with a well known moderator on the site. I knew then that I was never going to win, this was a moderator famed for his 'way of thinking' and dishing out punishments to those who didn't agree with his view of the bass world. It seemed as though TB was being run by a small clique of moderators in lieu of the actual owners. I told the moderator what I thought of his trumped up position and subsequently saw my account deleted. Ultimately, it was a fight I was never going to win. I wanted freedom of expression and the right to say I didn't like a particular player, or that I thought such and such a record was lacklustre. Unfortunately, that player was probably more likely to generate Talkbass revenue, so I was canned.

I can't say I miss it. I created a new account so I could use the site for references, but I've only made a handful of posts. And whilst I post far less here on Basschat, I do feel the individual discussions are of far more interest and value. I must have had the 'best bass for metal' discussion on TB a million times.

17,000 posts is an amazing contribution and somewhere in that lot somebody has to take offence, just on the sheer numbers.
They should have been thanking you for your vast contribution.
I have had a couple of spats with members here because I am a huge believer in treating people with respect and dignity. It's up to them to lose that, but when they do, they may well get it both barrels.
Basschat is an amazing place, amazingly run by the mods and amazingly respected by the vasy majority of it's members.

Now,back to OT AGAIN please :lol:

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1359868717' post='1961377']

Maybe something to do with it being largely populated by ignorant Americans. (Ignorant Americans are very common, but very important that we distinguish them from the decent Americans, because there are plenty of them too, they probably just have the sense to shout their mouths :D)
[/quote]
Oddly enough most people who use TB aren't from the US. Typically they are quite young though, compared to us old gits who are more likely to be around the 50 mark (and better educated:) ). That probably also explains our collective GASsing for lightweight cabs! :lol:

Personally I far prefer it here and think the mods do a great job. That the ban hammer is rarely used is a testament to that. My previous post wasn't intended as a criticism, more of a response to several comments recently that this place seems less supportive - not something I'd noticed myself, and a point that the replies to Evil Undeads thread seems to contradict. :)

Meanwhile, back on topic, I hope that Alcolytes gets the outcome he's looking for.

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1359884648' post='1961444']
Sorry to hijack this very insightful exchange of posts but to the OP, did you get anywhere with the guy? What was the outcome? Did the mods get involved? Should we get our pitchforks on standby? Hammers? Will kneecaps be shattered like those with broken dreams?
[/quote]

Were involved. PM's and e mails have been sent by me to the member who hasn't sent the bass. He read my first PM, didn't answer and hasn't been on the forum since.
I've been in constant contact with the OP, and spoke to him on the phone yesterday. The member who hasn't sent the bass has generally got decent feedback, and he's had a few personal issues, but the bass should have been sent no matter what. At the moment it's up to the OP to name and shame. I just want to try to help him get his bass.

I have no idea if this will help but, if the seller is my my area, I am happy to collect the bass and sort out delivery. I have no idea who the seller is and so would not need to know their identity (either in real life or on here).

If they're having some problems which are a distraction from fulfilling the obligation to the OP then I sympathise but would also want the OP to get his bass. I doubt the cost of delivery would bankrupt me and if it would help both parties then it seems a worthwhile cost too.

Any party can PM me on this and I would happily do this without any further reference to this on BC.

Edited by Bassman Steve

I think a couple of years ago there was a similar issue and a couple of BC members local to the "rogue seller" helped... no violence or any kind of threats were used (as far as I know), but when people are reminded that they cannot escape their actions simply by not logging in they may be more likely to do the right thing.

I once had an issue with a would be seller who turned out to be a scammer. It was my fault as there were a couple of red flags I did not pay attention to, and got caught. However, the scammer was not very bright. I located a handful of others that had also been scammed. Two of us did not use the gift option, so Paypal took care of us anyway. But others were not protected. As the scammer was not very bright, I found some info about him, and I managed to make him believe I knew a lot more than I did. I know that at least one of the "unprotected" BC members also got their money (it was my condition that the scammer paid him back, in order for me not to take things further :lol:)

Not saying the rogue seller here is a scammer. It does sound like he may have some issues at the moment. But that's not a problem the OP has to deal with. A sale was agreed. Full stop. It's either the bass or a refund without further delay. A "real life" contact can often be very useful in these situations. And I am not talking about violence or threats, I insist. At least not in the first place.

Since it's not cash that the OP is waiting for, it's an item that's already in their possesion, then it shouldn't be that difficult to either send it - OR arrange to meet up with another nearby BCer who is willing to do the same? (I'm up for it if it's in my area-ish).

Most personal issues can be found a way around. I was let down 3 times by a visit from a tradesman last week. When he eventually let slip the reason why there was no way I was gonna get pissed off. The guys life had fallen apart overnight & he knew to survive he had to keep going as best he could.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1359896038' post='1961657']
I have no idea if this will help but, if the seller is my my area, I am happy to collect the bass and sort out delivery. I have no idea who the seller is and so would not need to know their identity (either in real life or on here).

If they're having some problems which are a distraction from fulfilling the obligation to the OP then I sympathise but would also want the OP to get his bass. I doubt the cost of delivery would bankrupt me and if it would help both parties then it seems a worthwhile cost too.

Any party can PM me on this and I would happily do this without any further reference to this on BC.
[/quote]

Likewise, if it's anywhere near me.

Wasn't something like this done once before on this forum, a few years ago in similar circumstances?
If not I have seen it work on another forum.
We don't need any names on a public forum, either real or User-names.
If it looks like it's not going forward the normal way, maybe just put the regional area of the OP & seller & see who's up for helping out. Any posts which start hazarding a guess as to who the seller is are immediately deleted upon pain of :modspank:

It's do-able; when all else has failed.