Why become a member? ×

Our new singer being too picky...?

solo4652

We sacked our previous singer in October and it's taken this long to find a replacement. Our new singer has a fine voice, lots of band experience and has useful gig contacts. Result!

However...he says he only wants to sing 8 songs from our current setlist. Also he is plainly unhappy with most songs post 1980 ("all that sh*t", he said). We're losing 2/3rds of our setlist to accomodate him. His song suggestions are all from his old band's setlist and are mostly from the 1970's. Wedding-band dad-rock.

I can see that all the band's hard work to keep up to date with song choices looks in jeapardy, and I'm pretty unhappy about that.

Am I being too impatient with getting the new singer on board?

Time for me to look elsewhere?

I don't think it's too harsh to look elsewhere for another singer.

Why on earth join a band when you don't like most of the set list?

We all have to play some stuff we're not keen on from time to time, but it's all about a bit of compromise.

However, if you dislike the whole genre a band plays, where's the sense in joining that band?

His gig connections are pretty worthless when he's left you without enough material to do a gig!

Edited by garythebass

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1359373038' post='1953593']
I can see that all the band's hard work to keep up to date with song choices looks in jeapardy, and I'm pretty unhappy about that.
[/quote]

What do your band mates think? It sounds like you have taken a conscious decision to keep your material up to date. While there may be a place for [i]some[/i] of the tracks he wants to play, in an expanded repertoire, it seems out of order for him to come in and start dictating terms.

There are other singers out there.... if it doesn't feel right call his bluff, as a united band, and say no.

I don't always go with the flow, but have to agree with the general consensus here. He sounds like a control freak to me.
If you don't get rid now you'll only be getting rid later on, after he's pissed everyone off and wasted your time.

Easy for me to say - not my decision I know - but I think that's how I'd see it.

Edited by discreet

Turn it round.

Point out that it was he who joined your band knowing full well what you played - and though you welcome his new ideas and input and will incorporate them as you would your own , on any subject - not just song choice , if he thinks he can walk in and run the show overnight he can f**k right off.

He may well chuck his hair gel out of his man bag but that's his problem.

Then the rest of you get practising singing and share vocal duties. Bit off effort = more money and no tosser.

I know loads of singers who are still singing the same stuff they were grinding out 10 years ago. I don't know if it's a lack of confidence or just apathy. I don't know why anyone would want to go see a band that was going to trot out the same old stuff they'd been churning out for the last decade.

I recommend you get him to come up with a dozen songs that have been written in the last 10 years that 'he' wants to sing. You can then learn them and everyone would be happy. If he can't be arsed to do that then you've picked the wrong guy.

It doesn't sound good. A new person shouldn't come into a band and start dictating stuff. I'm all for fresh input, but this seems beyond that to me. I wouldn't do it to another band, and I certainly wouldn't tolerate it happening to any setup I'm involved in. One chance to compromise/wind his neck in, then bye bye. Majority rules.

In answer to the question, yes. Why join a band whose material you don`t like? I can understand people not liking a song or two - there are songs in my covers band that I don`t like playing that much - but I joined the band, I knew what they played, and the songs are audience pleasers, so those songs are staying. But two thirds of the set-list. I`d start looking for a new singer if these songs are what you all want to play.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1359376530' post='1953686']
I recommend you get him to come up with a dozen songs that have been written in the last 10 years that 'he' wants to sing. You can then learn them and everyone would be happy. If he can't be arsed to do that then you've picked the wrong guy.
[/quote]

+1

Putting aside the decimation of your set list and the fact that this pulls you in to a whole new musical direction...its not a good sign, is it? Sometimes its a positive thing...like where someone comes in with fresh ears, see's what the band is like and suggests a load of new stuff that plays to your strengths...but this sounds like he just wants you to all mold in to his backing band for all of his old stuff.

As per above, give him a chance, but if he can't be arsed then get shot.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1359376095' post='1953671']
Turn it round.

Point out that it was he who joined your band knowing full well what you played - and though you welcome his new ideas and input and will incorporate them as you would your own , on any subject - not just song choice , if he thinks he can walk in and run the show overnight he can f**k right off.

He may well chuck his hair gel out of his man bag but that's his problem.

Then the rest of you get practising singing and share vocal duties. Bit off effort = more money and no tosser.
[/quote]

Dave once again has a very good point.

Why join a band if you don't like the set list? Also, quite often the guys I meet with all the "experience and contacts" mostly have experience of being fired and if you speak to the contacts, they will roll their eyes and say, "oh christ, not him!"

Nip this in the bud before it gets worse, there's a chance he's just hit that age where learning lyrics becomes near impossible as your brain is full of old ones.
:)

When you join an established band....you have to do the songs they give you.....especially if you have gigs booked? Tell him to get his head from out his Ars and get on with it....i've played with numerous 'up n running' bands regardless of material coz i enjoy gigging.
You can always tailor the set to suite in the future? Good Luck.

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1359379448' post='1953760']
Compromise
[/quote]

I understand and respect that opinion totally.

But there are so many compromises in life generally that we are almost forced to take part in that I feel that our music is one of the few things we earn the right to be black and white about.

Shades of grey is an over hyped book - ironic , but those who can't have what they really want are it's biggest fans. There is enough grey as it is - and compromise , by definition , means that nobody gets what they want.

Despite really good singers being a rarity I'd have to err with the majority on this one. He's not just going to be your singer, he's going to be your front man. He will be the main focus of attention for the audience. He's [i]selling your product [/i]to them and to the venue who you are hoping for a repeat booking from. If he's not commited to the majority of the material it will probably show sooner or later and make the whole band look a bit lame despite the musicianship on show.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1359380743' post='1953785']
Despite really good singers being a rarity I'd have to err with the majority on this one. He's not just going to be your singer, he's going to be your front man. He will be the main focus of attention for the audience. He's [i]selling your product [/i]to them and to the venue who you are hoping for a repeat booking from. If he's not commited to the majority of the material it will probably show sooner or later and make the whole band look a bit lame despite the musicianship on show.
[/quote]

Problem is, he doesn't appear to want to sell the band's product - he wants to carry on selling his old band's product.