Why become a member? ×

Our new singer being too picky...?

solo4652

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1359445013' post='1954737']
....Andrew Gold, Lonely Boy? Yeuch!....
[/quote]

We play it. Every audience loves it and sings along.

I think, if you're in a cover band, it's pretty pointless playing your favourite numbers to 3 people.

The point is to be playing the audiences favourite numbers and going down a storm to a full room. That's what we do.

To the OP; when you add a musician the vibe of the band doesn't always change. Bass players and drummers usually just slot in, but when you add a singer the feel of the band will probably change.

If the singer is any good, and I assume he is or you wouldn't have offered him the gig, why don't you utilise his strengths.

In my experience a new singer always changes the feel of a band. They are usually the least flexible member and are the limiting factor. Unfortunately it's usually the singer that [i]makes[/i] the band.

I don't think his set is very inspiring and yours could be better, so you've both got to select better numbers. You could end up with a great band if you both work at it.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1359453641' post='1954852']
To the OP; when you add a musician the vibe of the band doesn't always change. Bass players and drummers usually just slot in, but when you add a singer the feel of the band will probably change.

If the singer is any good, and I assume he is or you wouldn't have offered him the gig, why don't you utilise his strengths.

In my experience a new singer always changes the feel of a band. They are usually the least flexible member and are the limiting factor. Unfortunately it's usually the singer that [i]makes[/i] the band.

I don't think his set is very inspiring and yours could be better, so you've both got to select better numbers. You could end up with a great band if you both work at it.
[/quote]

Yes - I would agree with you an all counts. I'd welcome the chance to refresh our setlist. I'll air my concerns tonight at rehearsal and see what the reaction(s) are.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1359445013' post='1954737']
Andrew Gold, Lonely Boy? Yeuch!
[/quote][quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1359416830' post='1954602']
[thread hijack] is lonely boy an 'in' song ? to listen to it it is a touch lack lustre, our lead guitar suggested it as the kids love it , and after 15mins we had a good dynamic sound to it , but is it a crowd pleaser ? [/thread hijack] :blush:
[/quote]

You're kidding, right..? Have I missed the joke? I meant the Black Keys number. Which is [i]well[/i] cool IMHO. :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_426RiwST8[/media]

Edited by discreet

Thing is if you get a new member of a band then they will want to have an input into the set list, and a singer probably more than most. This seems pretty reasonable to me.
What you could do is sit down and go through the two lists together and come up with a compromise.

I was in a band for a while (playing bass) and basically they just wanted someone who would just play the exact bass line they were used to, without any creative input. Any suggestions I made were just ignored, any changes I made to the bass line were jumped upon, with the result that I never felt like a full part of the band.
Its not as if they were a covers band that slavishly copied the originals. They did their own thing, but that option was not extended to me.

Anyway I was on the point of leaving when they sacked me anyway (I think my discontentment was beginning to show), which was actually quite a relief - having the decision made for me.

Folks,

This situation has now resolved itself. Our new singer has resigned today. I'm very conscious that this is a public forum so I think the best thing for me to do is to bow out of the message thread, go away and learn some lessons from the experience.