Why become a member? ×

What Percentage Of BC'ers Use Effects?

spongebob

Thought this might get more love here than in the 'effects' section, as it is applicable to both.

By effects I am referring to actual pedals and units, not just fiddling with the EQ on your amp or head!

In my covers and originals band, I've never seen a gap to use them.....but TBH, I've never even tried one. Hence I've followed the topic about the Zoom B9 1UT.

But it's the same old concerns - would I actually ever use them? Alright for a couple of days, fine at home, then just plug 'n' go as I always have done?

I'd be really interested to hear in what musical context BC'ers use their effects - any clips, etc?

After 38 years of NOT using ANY effects whatsoever, I've gone down the pre- and power-amp road, and after much consideration and trying out various bits of kit, I've bought a Zoom B3. I'm essentially using it as a pre-amp and am spending many happy hours getting my core tone from it.

Having said that, I'm quite sure now I have the option of many different FX I may even use some of them, but I'm really more interested in various combinations of compressors, pre-amps and amp/cab sims at the moment.

Considering the Tech-21 VT Bass is around £160 new (for example), the B3 is a real bargain, IMHO.

Edit: Anyway, I voted 'Yes'. :)

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by discreet

On my keyboards, my hands have always been very busy, so effects have had the role of switching between sounds - think verse<->refrain, or something that makes one note stand out from the rest.
On a pipe organ I would use preprogrammed stop combinations for the same.

Have no idea how things will develop on bass, but did buy effects for it, as I'm used to them.

Voted "Yes" though.

best,
bert

I use a Mastotron to get some pretty serious fuzz going.

Our very own Ou7shined made a video of his in action...

[media]http://youtu.be/oJ0rdNlghn4[/media]

My only slight grumble is that it's a constant battle to keep some real presence with it in action - you find yourself generally adding to the chaos, but lacking definition. I started a thread in the Effects forum on. The solution? [i]More effects! :D[/i]

My bass always runs through a Pod. I have 3 patches for The Terrortones and about 10 for my covers band. Most of the time it's for EQ presets and different levels of drive, but I do use chorus and delay occasionally.

TBH I regard any thing other than volume as an effect, so putting the bass through an EQ circuit counts as using an effect for me, but the whole thing is so integrated that I don't really worry about it. In the end it boils down to does my bass sound right in the context of the song or not?

Boss ME20B, which is used mainly for compression (90%) and the volume pedal. Other 10% is either octaver, a bit of flange on a couple of Lizzy numbers, or a tad of overdrive to try and emulate a valvey sound(not that good really) Had it for years, used it more when I was in a band with just 1 guitarist to fill out our sound.

I voted 'yes' because I use a Boss OD-3 for one Muse track (which doesn't really do the job properly but it is as close as I can be bothered to get) and an EBS Unichorus that I used to use to try and get a Phil Lynott type sound on another.

But I'd rather not, really.

I've owned plenty but I just can't be arsed to plug them in at gigs. Too much effort. Pints don't drink themselves. Besides - I like the sound of my bass through an amp. If I didn't - I'd sell one or both until I found a basic tone I liked. Too many people using fx because they aren;t happy with their basic tone , I reckon.

But that's just a side issue - as I said the main reason is I can't be arsed to set them up.

Tuner - line mixer - chorus - drive - delay

most of the time i use a clean signal and occasionaly use the above in a variety of combinations. Could probably ditch the drive.

Very occasionaly use a synth pedal with an expression pedal but that's only if the keys player can't make it.