Why become a member? ×

What Percentage Of BC'ers Use Effects?

spongebob

Hello.. :hi:
I voted yes. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I use a few. (but I can understand why some bassists might choose not to).[/font][/color]

Bass into: Valve preamp > Tuner > Graphic > Octave > Auto wah > Chorus > Flanger > Reverb > Compressor > Exciter > Out to Amp

I play four string fretted, fret-less and like playing all kinds of music.. there are no passengers on my board and everything gets used at some point..

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1357936910' post='1930920']None for me. Not that I don`t like effects, just in the music I play they`re not needed.[/quote]

I'm nit-picking here but I don't like the phrase 'not needed'.

If I'm doing punk/reggae stuff then you could argue that my harmony vocals are 'not needed' because they were never on Clash tunes or Specials tunes or whatever. They're certainly all over Maytals tunes and Desmond Dekker and Alton Ellis though.

Similarly you could say that my octaver is 'not needed' because all those '70s guys just played Fender basses straight into the amp, but in the '80s there was lots of synth bass and programmed bass in dancehall reggae. From there it's not a big leap to start incorporating elements of house music, drum and bass, chiptune stuff, etc.

That's why I don't like thinking in terms of what's 'needed'. I like to think of what might sound fresh and nice and put it in there. And when you're gigging with a bunch of other bands based in similar genres you will sound different and you will stand out. And the audience will be glad you put a bit more effort into your sound and gave their ears something different to listen to.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1357949088' post='1931096']...And when you're gigging with a bunch of other bands based in similar genres you will sound different and you will stand out. And the audience will be glad you put a bit more effort into your sound and gave their ears something different to listen to.
[/quote]

Luckily, we NEVER gig with any other bands. Problem solved.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1357949088' post='1931096']
That's why I don't like thinking in terms of what's 'needed'. I like to think of what might sound fresh and nice and put it in there. And when you're gigging with a bunch of other bands based in similar genres you will sound different and you will stand out. And the audience will be glad you put a bit more effort into your sound and gave their ears something different to listen to.
[/quote]

We try to do that with our songs instead ;)

Use them (well,it: a ME50B) with the function bands - the variety of tracks played means I need to sound very different (Octaver for Sledgehammer, for example, or chorus for You Can Call Me Al), but I don't use it for the originals band, it's not appropriate.