Why become a member? ×

What Percentage Of BC'ers Use Effects?

spongebob

As a slight aside, I saw a three-piece band called Skam last year whose bass player filled more space when the guitarist was soloing than any bassist I've ever seen - apparently his 'secret weapon' was nothing more than a Boss ODB3 (and a pretty mammoth bass sound to begin with). Were I in a three-piece I'd want one.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1357675238' post='1926600']
I've owned plenty but I just can't be arsed to plug them in at gigs. Too much effort. Pints don't drink themselves. Besides - I like the sound of my bass through an amp. If I didn't - I'd sell one or both until I found a basic tone I liked. Too many people using fx because they aren;t happy with their basic tone , I reckon.

But that's just a side issue - as I said the main reason is I can't be arsed to set them up.
[/quote]

This about where I am, I used to use my zoom in almost every song back in the originals days, this became just for song 2 Blur in a covers band which became just a Boss HM-2 guitar pedal for that and now has become putting the valve on full if I can be arsed on the very rare occasion I need any distortion.

Just to annoy discreet I will mention my TC Polytune :lol:, now where is that pint?

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1357675238' post='1926600']I like the sound of my bass through an amp. If I didn't - I'd sell one or both until I found a basic tone I liked. Too many people using fx because they aren;t happy with their basic tone , I reckon.[/quote]

I think it's more that some people in a lifetime of gigging learn to use more than one sound.

I mostly use octavers, sample rate reducers, pitch shifters, filters and fuzzes, sometimes phasers or chorus, sometimes delay + reverb, but they are rarer. I like effects that make synth bass noises and I also like effects that make a big mess of things. Mostly I like making broken robot noises.

Edited by thisnameistaken

Up until two weeks ago, I solidly used a big muff and a EHX tube pre. I now have a new rig with a tube pre and I am so happy with the sound, I don't have anything going into it.

I do have a delay and chorus on the cards, but they might be for messing about with more than anything. Much like my filter and octaver.

I got a Behringer BDI21 for Christmas, and although I've had a bit of a fiddle about with it at home and used it in one recording session; I answered "no". ;)

Whether I use it regularly remains to be seen - but I do like the sounds I can get from it. The only down side is that it seems to suck the mids out, and with a J bass through a Hartke LH500 I don't exactly have them in abundance to start with! :(

I may end up getting some sort of graphic pedal so that I can boost the midrange some more... :gas:

Edited by Conan

I get bored easily. I think it depends on the type of music though. If I was playing some really interesting jazz/funk stuff, something where I'd get to be really expressive, maybe I wouldn't need the pedals to keep me happy.

But yeh, in the context of rock music, I like to do more than just play "bass", and effects help.

Playing covers in a pub with nothing but a 4 string P and an ampeg is my idea of hell.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1357725636' post='1927155']
Playing covers in a pub with nothing but a 4 string P and an ampeg is my idea of hell.
[/quote]

Even if the pub is packed full of punters having a great time? :blink: To me it's more about the whole scenario than just my personal gear choices... but it just shows that we all get different things out of music! B)

Overdrive, without fail, every gig. I used to use Fuzz, Synth, Envelope and Wah as well (Funnily enough, all 4 of them were for a 30 second section of one song). I've used a BDI-21 as a separate tone for softer songs too, if that counts. Looking to build up a mini board with a Line 6 G50, TC Polytune Mini and a VT Bass Deluxe (For Preamp and OD) with a Mooer Pure Octave in the effects loop.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

I didn't, but having done a ton of stuff for the new project with dubstep wobbly bass in the mix, I have invested in a behringer synth pedal so i can cover it live without dragging my moog around with me.
Now realising i also need an octave and a bypass loop to get the sound decent, and not popping, while not tap-dancing either. Considering shoving a second synth in there as well, so I don't need to bend down between songs...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1357725840' post='1927161']
Even if the pub is packed full of punters having a great time? :blink: To me it's more about the whole scenario than just my personal gear choices... but it just shows that we all get different things out of music! B)
[/quote]

I'm not criticising those who do, it's just my preference. If all I wanted was a room full of dancing people i'd join a function band.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1357686763' post='1926934']
I think it's more that some people in a lifetime of gigging learn to use more than one sound.

[/quote]

May well be true but not in my case. I want a sound that pleases me (no idea if it's good bad or indifferent , that's all just opinion) and id easy to acheive. I might roll a bit of bass off if the room's big and boomy but other than that the knobs don't get moved for months at a time. It really is how I choose an amp. If I have to swing on the knobs I don't buy it. I love to play - I hate fiddling with gear. It's just gear. Maybe you can get attached to an instrument that you have such a tactile relationship with but not amps. Black boxes with knobs on. Who wants to be thinking about that when there's a job of work to be done.

I expect it's the same thinking that means the fx stay at home. All this tap dancing.... pah. Just another link in a chain that makes it ever more likely something will go tits up. They suck your sound too. Never yet heard a 'true bypass' that didn't lie.

Great stuff so far.....really enjoying everybody's input on this.

Poll seems to indicate a swing towards FX at this stage - I'm quite surprised TBH.

As I mentioned at the start, I always struggle to think when I'd actually use them. The covers band is old-skool R'n'B - P-bass and amp - the originals band (suppose it's 3-piece, Jam/Kinks/60's....) it's just Ric and amp!

I suppose I'm just very satisfied with the sounds of the basses I play, and just can't imagine how I could improve on that? Hence I have considered an 'all in one' box, to maybe add bits as required.....but I then keep thinking that I'd never use the thing!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1357729872' post='1927267']
Great stuff so far.....really enjoying everybody's input on this.

Poll seems to indicate a swing towards FX at this stage - I'm quite surprised TBH.

[/quote]

Could be a self-selection bias in the poll, people who use effects being more inclined to vote and say why than those who don't?

I've just added to the tally of no-fx users. I've had all sorts of effects in the past and still have a Big Muff rusting in the bottom of my gig bag, but I never use it. Apart from making the bass sound horrid, they're also something else to go wrong, which I really don't need.