Why become a member? ×

Ouch !!!!!

Johngh

So, I rehearsed with my new band again this week, and it went very well. We finished the last song, and one of our guitarists started to pack away his Les Paul when he dropped it neck first. It landed across one of the wedge monitors with a very loud crack.

This is the resulting damage.

Must say he took it quite well. Had it been me, well, I'm pretty sure I'd have gone mad. To be honest, he's also a really nice guy, so i really felt for him.

I'm taking it to Jon Shuker tomorrow for repair.

[IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/johngh/LPNeck.jpg[/IMG]

I read an interview with Snowy White and he has a Les Paul Goldtop that I think was from the 50`s if I remember correctly and he has used for years. He used to rest it against his amp for years when not using it and finally decided to get himself a guitar stand. One of the first times he used it, he put it on the stand and it fell off cracking the neck in a similar manner to your friends.

I am sure Mr Shuker will do a fantastic repair job on it.

Edited by jezzaboy

Happened to my son's NightHawk, a few years ago. Took it to our local expert bod; fixed, invisible, and doubtless stronger than before the break. It's a bigger shock to the player's system that to the guitar, really..! 'Twill be but an anecdote in no time...

Ahh the old Les Paul neck break sketch. Yes, very painful when it happens, but common, and is usually sorted pretty quickly when done by someone like Mr Shuker.

I managed a similar trick with a 1975 Fender Strat many years ago, but in my case I threw it against a wall mid gig, because it went out of tune...... :rolleyes: .....I know.

Once repaired it will be stronger than before and unlikely to break again. Guitar player in band gained a good 335 with broken headstock. You would not be able to spot it had been broken. I dropped my 58 EB2 once, somewhere around 1975 if memory serves me. It fell off strap and headstock hit ground from waist height. Luckily it bounced, bent elephant ear tuner though. Was Leo Fender onto something with his designs, neck should be easily replaceable?

Hope guitarist not too traumatised and repairs go well.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1352505623' post='1864131']
It was made in January 1995 according to the Guitar dater project
[/quote]

Ah, I assumed much older with the style; still - it's a sore one. He's doing the best thing though getting a top pro on the job, worse way to go is to have to do it more than once, you never get rid of all the glue off a botched attempt which makes a refix weaker than it could be.

[color=#222222]Similar thing happened at a gig in the 80s when we were supporting a band with Frankie Miller’s old guitar player (Ray someone or other). Apparently it’s a bit of a common problem with guitars that have necks made from mahogany. The thing was that it was a 59 Les Paul worth an absolute fortune![/color]
[color=#222222][/color]
[color=#222222]We put him onto a guy in Bradford who sorted it out and did a really good job! Still, it must have knocked thousands of the value of the guitar, which was pretty much the guy’s pension……[/color]

• 2 months later...

Time for a rather belated update.

Not unsuprisingly, Mr Shuker did an absolute first class job of repairing the neck and its almost as good as new. Jon also found that the fret next to the nut has been boshed in as well, so put a new fret in it. My mate has played it a quite a few rehearsals since it was repaired and he says he can't tell there was ecer a problem with it.

My mate also has a Les Paul Slash signature that's been unplayable since another luthier cocked up a nut replacement, and also a limited edition Gibson Flying V that was just horrid. Both have been to Jon Shukers and been sorted, so all in all my mate is one happy boy.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1352504657' post='1864113']
Once repaired it will be stronger than before and [i]unlikely to break again[/i].
[/quote]

Oh nononononono. My friend's LP has broken 5 or 6 times in all (yes, he could have taken more care!). There's more PVA than mahogany in that headstock. Think he's retired it now!

Remind me never to get a Gibson Les Paul.

A friend of mine has broke the headstock 3 times in the 4 years he's had it. one was from sitting in his livingroom against the wall & it just slid over & crack, a machine head hanging out & a lump of wood from the headstock on the floor.

One of my old guitarists has a Tokai Les Paul that he got in the 80s. It's been dropped, fell over & seen a lot of gigs & it's still in good nick (other than the usual for that age). He said he prefers the sound of it over the Gibson LP (which he has, but hardly uses).

Last night I managed to catch the guitarists lead and pull his telecaster off a table on to the floor!!!

It took the force of the landing on the bridge and tuning pegs. Nothing was damaged, not even a mark on the paint!

I don't care what anyone says about Fender; they bounce and Gibson's don't.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1352508302' post='1864165']
[color=#222222]Similar thing happened at a gig in the 80s when we were supporting a band with Frankie Miller’s old guitar player (Ray someone or other). Apparently it’s a bit of a common problem with guitars that have necks made from mahogany. The thing was that it was a 59 Les Paul worth an absolute fortune![/color]

[color=#222222]We put him onto a guy in Bradford who sorted it out and did a really good job! Still, it must have knocked thousands of the value of the guitar, which was pretty much the guy’s pension……[/color]
[/quote]

That will be the great Ray Minhinnet - had the great joy of working with him many years ago.

Edited by Bassman Steve