Why become a member? ×

The perfect bass FX toolkit..

Jigster

Was watching re-run of Jools and spotted the bass player's pedal board from Bloc Party - which made me think, if you were putting together a kit of essential effects for a bass player, what would you include? Of course everyone's different, and some don't use any effects, but curious to hear what's in people's armoury...and various makes and models

Edited by Jigster

I'm really not a tech sort of guy but I do love effects. I have a line 6 live board which covers more than i could use, i also have an old....and i mean old boss board which i really use just when i change basses live. It also has a patch i created which the line 6 doesnt do. Also i use sparingly a custom taurus style bass pedal. But for all of that I stick to pretty much the same sounds, I like a bit of chorus on one and a smidge of distort on another patch and some kind of flange too. I might somertimes go for a digital delay for some nice harmonic chords....its not that much.

Must be my Aguilar amp and cab. Then a tiny bit of octaver, reverb, phaser and delay.
Previously playing live, most was with no effects. One or two gigs had a smidgen of chorus.
The last band I was in , I as using a zoom b2 1 u . Can't remember the setup on it tho. And it was only for 2 or 3 songs.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1351529869' post='1852238']
I keep thinking I'd like to try some FX but I want to wait until I can play well enough without them.
[/quote]

FX make no difference to your ability (or not) to play.

For me anything programable with tap tempo and MIDI synchronisation of time-based effects will do.

If I had to throw some effects together?
Compression and Reverb for sure. A touch of compression evens out the extreme dynamic range a bass seems to have when amplified and again, just a touch of reverb to make the sound less in your face.
Delay for those ambient chord moments in my main band...and that's about it. Do volume pedals count? X-D
Distortion a no-no for me. Fingers dig in enough to create a touch of grit but I hate induced distortion on bass unless you have dual output then it becomes interesting.
We are saying graphic EQ is on the amp? If not then I want a graphic also.

Pretty much a plug in a play kinda guy, never needed many effects, I've sold most of them on here. They just made me make funny noises and that was it.
Of course, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using them. :-)

Edited by Kongo