Why become a member? ×

The perfect bass FX toolkit..

Jigster

Roland GT-6B Multi Fx.
Main usage is compressor & tuner.
Then occasional reverb / chorus for fretless.
Then occasional echo, phaser, octaver or combination of effects for a dedicated or specific sound.

Prefer straight bass tho with a touch of compression. Just enough to be noticeable.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

great replies, thanks all, very interesting - I pretty much use nothing, perhaps a Chorus now and then, but not entirely sold on it.

I guess I'm most curious as to how much control you have over these various effects in a sound mixed situation - are they monitored into a front of house mix and therefore at a sound man/woman's discretion/mercy?

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1351691063' post='1854212']
Someone I occasionally play with as a dep was marvelling at 'all those effects pedals' I was using. What he was looking at was a tuner, a DI box and the receiver for my wireless unit. Not a single 'effect' in any of them!
[/quote]

:D :D :D Bloody fantastic! Must get me some of those.

best,
bert

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1351692404' post='1854248']I guess I'm most curious as to how much control you have over these various effects in a sound mixed situation - are they monitored into a front of house mix and therefore at a sound man/woman's discretion/mercy?[/quote]

My signal goes bass->fx->amp->DI (pre-EQ) so the sound man can EQ my signal however he sees fit but the effects mix is controlled by my right foot.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1351691063' post='1854212']
Someone I occasionally play with as a dep was marvelling at 'all those effects pedals' I was using. What he was looking at was a tuner, a DI box and the receiver for my wireless unit. Not a single 'effect' in any of them!
[/quote]

What DI box?

My bass goes into a DHA VT1EQ set up to run as a preamp (ECC82 instead of 83) - from there I send a clean signal to the desk and send my bass through the FX. If they want to they can mic up my cab or take another DI from the amp. Really quite a flexible little setup.

ive tried various different set ups through the years, ive gone from using no effects, to lots of effects, multi effects and now i have what i think is my settled board set up.

i use individual stop boxes rather than multieffects, i think you can be a bit more creative, but thats me.

i currently run a sansamp driver/di, distortion, delay, reverb and tuner, but i do have a flanger, over drive and compression pedal i can throw in if i really need them

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1351608976' post='1853216']
Nothing whatsoever.

Go in clean and eq on amp. Just some new zingy DR strings and whack up the gain on the amp.
[/quote]

This. I use quality basses, a quality amp and quality cabs. DI from the amp to the PA, Tuner fed from the amp. I've played with effects over the years and some can sound great in isolation but when I bring them into a live situation I miss the natural tone and punch I get when just keeping it simple. Works for me.