Why become a member? ×

Learning a song in a different key.

mrtcat

When learning covers for my regular band I usually do it by ear and then practice by playing along.
I've now joined a second project (another covers band) and the standard is really high but several songs are going to be played in a totally different key to the original recording. Is there a piece of software or hardware I can get hold of that will change the key of a song so I can practice along to it at home?

I tend to do it the hard way and make new versions of the songs in Audition as i tend to use iTunes to play most of my music (its all kept in iTunes match)

A few years ago i was in two very similar bands doing very similar sets, but it quite different keys. I found it easier to get a 5 string and just transpose the fingering. Not ideal and a bit extreme but it worked for me, and gave me an excuse to buy a 5 string.

Once I've learnt a song I rarely play along with the recorded version anyway so it doesn't matter what key it's in. I prefer to play to a click so that I'm sure I really know the form of the songs and any hits and changes without any prompts from anything else.

Also it's much easier to hear exactly what I'm playing and how I'm playing it without the original bassline in the background, I've often thought I've nailed the feel of a song but then when I've played it without the original found it's lacking something.

Of course, that's assuming you've got plenty of time to learn the songs.

I look at the original key, and if it does not involve a bottom E, then I will try to transpose it up or down the neck using the old II-V-I numbering system. If you know how to use this system, then it saves you having to work out the notes the long way round. :happy:

I find that it also helps if you try not to use any open strings when learning the song, that will make it easier to transpose later as you can just move up and down the fretboard. Using software to change the pitch is a great tool, but when you play the same song in different bands in different keys it really helps if you don't need to learn it twice.
Here a trick that I sometimes use. particularly if I have a chord chart in one key but the band then tells you it's in another is this. If the chart is in C, but the band want it in D, put you hand at the D position, look away and tell your self that your finger is playing a C. So long as you are now moving everything relative to your current position and don't look down you can continue to fool yourself that you are playing in the key that the chart is in.

Get used to transposing... it is a good skill to have and you can write it out in the new key should you need to...
Makes you a more useful all rounded player who can drop into other less comfortable enviroments as a musician...

Check out how difficult this skill is for these better players you are playing with..and if you can cut it, you might get new openings...which will be worth not taking the shortcuts there might be..

[quote name='keving' timestamp='1345550474' post='1778649']
I find that it also helps if you try not to use any open strings when learning the song, that will make it easier to transpose later as you can just move up and down the fretboard. Using software to change the pitch is a great tool, but when you play the same song in different bands in different keys it really helps if you don't need to learn it twice.
Here a trick that I sometimes use. particularly if I have a chord chart in one key but the band then tells you it's in another is this. If the chart is in C, but the band want it in D, put you hand at the D position, look away and tell your self that your finger is playing a C. So long as you are now moving everything relative to your current position and don't look down you can continue to fool yourself that you are playing in the key that the chart is in.
[/quote]

This ^ and this is where a 5 string bass comes in for me, Even songs using open E strings which lets face it is loads of them can be done like this, I purposefully learn any new tracks for function band type gigs on a five all played off the E on the B string, up or down key changes are a breeze! Its not all about the extra notes you know ;)

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1345571521' post='1779009']
- 1 on the not playing open strings.

To my ears open strings sound wonderful and allow your hands to go to all kinds of places on the fretboard - even the dusty bit.

Learn to transpose the songs - it'll serve you well in the long run.
[/quote]
What about D or Eb though? If you can get your head around a five all the notes are still there so you can still play songs you know as you always have and getting the open E and 5th fret B string is the easiest bit anyway so its no problem to play the E anyway if you feel it needs it :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1345572499' post='1779027']
What about D or Eb though? If you can get your head around a five all the notes are still there so you can still play songs you know as you always have and getting the open E and 5th fret B string is the easiest bit anyway so its no problem to play the E anyway if you feel it needs it :)
[/quote]
You're right Pete but my point was really how nice those open strings sound and not to avoid them just to make it easier to transpose. Unless you want to of course :)

When you guys play Josie doesn't the open E sound lovely when pulling those double stops in the bassline?

Some songs I would play them as they are but a song that has a prominent open E won't sound the same transposed into another key unless you went up a fourth and played it on the open A, that will be really high and sound very different anyway, if the singer wants to go lower then your into detuning or an ERB unless you settle for playing a higher octave note instead which is still not going to be an open string. If that made sense then your as daft as me :D

Mentioned it a few times but I do all my practicing using a combination of my iPhone and my zoom pedal. If I want to sound good and have all my sounds I use the zoom, but if it's just a straight ahead learning session then the trace Elliot sound in the ampkit app is fine.
I run ampkit at the same time as an app called 'robick'
This let's you play songs and lather the speed/pitch/key etc as well as cut out the bass/mid/top and slow down/speed up or loop sections.
And it's all on my phone, incredibly versatile and convenient.
Vocally it means I can try out keys till I find one I like

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1345622042' post='1779458']
Mentioned it a few times but I do all my practicing using a combination of my iPhone and my zoom pedal. If I want to sound good and have all my sounds I use the zoom, but if it's just a straight ahead learning session then the trace Elliot sound in the ampkit app is fine.
I run ampkit at the same time as an app called 'robick'
This let's you play songs and [b]lather[/b] the speed/pitch/key etc as well as cut out the bass/mid/top and slow down/speed up or loop sections.
And it's all on my phone, incredibly versatile and convenient.
Vocally it means I can try out keys till I find one I like
[/quote]

There are some great music apps for the iPhone, shame the autocorrect is so daft though ;)