Why become a member? ×

Learning a song in a different key.

mrtcat

[quote name='Sue' timestamp='1345583088' post='1779202']
Take a look at Transcribe (seventhstring.com) - drag and drop from iTunes, change key, tempo etc. I have found it useful. I think there is a free version too.
[/quote]

+1 for Transcribe.
I tend to save the file in their new key for future use, I also use it to change songs which are annoyingly in Eb etc, but everyone else decides to play in E and then have them all in a smart playlist in i-tunes, with the album / genre being "key changed songs".

[quote name='Sue' timestamp='1345583088' post='1779202']
Take a look at Transcribe (seventhstring.com) - drag and drop from iTunes, change key, tempo etc. I have found it useful. I think there is a free version too.
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up. I just had a look at Transcribe, it looks pretty good and easier to use than opening up Audition. I also find Guitar Pro a great way of leaning songs, assuming i can get decent versions of them to work from.
Ive used many apps over the years but always seem to come back to using big programs to do the smallest of jobs. I think i just prefer not to have duplicate programs on my PC so if the big one does the job i tend to use that, even if its more cumbersome. Stupid i know.

I must admit when i learn a song i learn the notes, not the chords. This might be the wrong way of doing things but ive always done it and it works for me. If someone was to ask me the chords of most of the songs we play i doubt i could tell them. I know the notes im playing, and im guessing i could work out the chords from those.

If you get asked to play in lots of units, you will know the tunes and will basically just have to check the key and you are off.
That is why you have to be able to transpose in an instant. If you can hear intervals it makes the job even easier. You never need to be in a rehearsed unit ever again if you don't want to be.