Why become a member? ×

How many gigs have you done.

w00dy

Just wondering how many gig you guys have done since you started playing?

I must be reaching about 800 with the band i'm in now(been with them about 22 years), plus with the other bands i've in, i must getting close to 1000 gigs.

w00dy

D'ya know? My little boy (6years old) asked me that exact question today after just getting back from Germany, Without really thinking, I told him, "Thousands". To be slightly more accurate I guess I have averaged about 2 a week for forty years... Last week was above average, this week was below average and next week will be the exact average ;)

Gigged big-time between 87 - 90 in one band (prob some 300 gigs). Did a UK tour in 91 with another band, so must have done at least 100 with them. So with that, and the other bands I`ve been in, over 500 gigs, probably nearing 1000.

It would have been thousands since 1958 ( yes, I know) but a more interesting statistic is 70 bands, 48 drummers, 75 saxes, 68 trumpets, 18 guitars and 60 keyboards. And I can remember most of their names. - Oh, and one fiddle.

I'm off to get a nice cup of tea and a hobnob now.

Probably somewhere between 200-300, which is nowhere near enough considering I've been playing in bands since 1975!

However my first band was mainly a recording project and we didn't play any of our material live at what could be considered to be a proper gig (something more than a couple of songs in the course of a school entertainment evening) until 1981.

By complete contrast my next band was in existence for less than a year an played about 30 gigs in that time. After that for the next 20 or so years, the bands I was playing in used lots of complex technology and either backing tapes or sequencers as part of the instrumentation so we spent a lot of time in the studio and rehearsal rooms and not that much time on stage. Also during this period I spent several years working on projects that never got beyond the song writing stage.

In fact it wasn't until I joined the Terrortones two years ago that I got into another prolific gigging band. I would go so far as to say that in the last 2 years I've played somewhere between a third and a quarter of my total number of gigs!

Since I first started playing in 2003, about 80, the majority of which were with my current band, we average 2 a month, which is just comfortable. earlier bands were a bit more hit...or usually miss :(

I have so much fun with current fellows, it makes it all worthwhile!