Why become a member? ×

Low morale?

Kiwi

In the last 4 weeks or so, I've noticed more contentious topics being posted and more threads getting locked.

If this was a workplace, I'd suggest morale was down. What's going on out there in Basschat land, eh?

Can anyone shed any light? What's happened to the daftness that used to permeate this place?

Talk to us, people.

I periodically unsubscribe to OT and I think its about time I did so again. That said, I don't think there's any more of a morale issue now than there was 1-2 years ago, say. Every so often someone feels motivated to post up something that is just guaranteed to be contentious and it just so happens this tends to go in batches but thats always been the case IMHO. The general economic climate is obviously not conducive to partaying day and night and that probably colours things.

Thanks for this thread, Kiwi.

I think many of us may be a bit depressed due to the dreadful weather - I certainly am! We're supposed to be in summer and I go out wearing my winter jackets and always carrying a big umbrella. Sigh. :unsure:

I also tend to avoid posting in Off Topic, as it's not the main reason why I joined BC. I do post in the photography threads, though. I quickly read through any other topics out of curiosity, but usually don't get involved.
Incidentally, huge respect to those here who underwent vasectomy - couldn't refrain from reading that thread. In my life in a couple, it was always understood that I would be the one to undergo the snip (actually, surgical tying of the ovary ducts), never ever my partner. You guys are awesome, and your partners should be proud and grateful.

Edit: I never did have the operation, though - no need, in the end.

Edit 2: apologies - will post my final OT comments in the correct thread. Please ignore them.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1340538217' post='1705713']
No problem here, keeping my head down & my nose clean I hope :lol: Oh! & trying not to get involved in matters that don't concern me ;)

It's good to know someone out there cares :D :happy:

Cheerz, John
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1340538217' post='1705713']
No problem here, keeping my head down & my nose clean I hope :lol: Oh! & trying not to get involved in matters that don't concern me ;)

It's good to know someone out there cares :D :happy:

Cheerz, John
[/quote]

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1340542021' post='1705790']
+1
[/quote]

+another 1 :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1340544071' post='1705841']
There seem to be a lot of people on here that seriously object to non-university educated minimum wage underclass scum such as myself being on the forum.
[/quote]
I hope that was a joke

Shame the threads keep getting deleted, I tend to see the start of them, then wander off, do some work, play some music, come back to see what's happened, and find it's gone. :(

Cheer up chaps, it's sunny today. :)
(fumps is at a festival having fun, so we need to stand in for him, altogether now....)

neeeeeee noooooor neeee nooooorrrr.......

Most of it's in Off Topic so IMO it doesn't really count.

The rest of Basschat is pretty much up beat as usual. (Apart from the "Stealing" thread in general discussion which was pretty depressing reading for those of us who still harbour hopes of being able to make a living out of writing, recording and playing music.)

I feel at least a little responsible for this as I am supposed to be moderating Off Topic but, lately, I have been disctracted by some deadlines and stuff and have not had the time to loiter around in here. I also have a higher tolerance level than most to aggressive debate so may have let things go when I should have intervened.

Must try harder. [size=3]Must try harder. [size=2]Must try harder. [size=1]Must try harder.......[/size][/size][/size]

Everything is fine with me, only been a member for a year and a bit but still enjoying BC as much as ever. I tend to only read things I'm interested in so I've probably not seen the problem threads. Keep up the good work Admins and Mods, your work in making BC the place it is is much appreciated.

Maybe it's just a cyclical thing. I do feel (some) people post deliberately contentious statements, and it's got the rise out of me, but the next day I feel dumb for biting. The key would be to avoid Off Topic, but then you miss out on some genuinely good stuff. I've said this before, but I've met a few BC'ers and they are all genuinely good people.

I was left a bit cold by the recent Annoying Person/Bigot threads. I couldn't understand what the fuss was about. I've conversed with Paul H on the forum, and have met Silddx in person. Nige is a top geezer, and I'm sure Paul is too, and it's a shame to see them sniping. But, not everyone is going to get on all the time. And it still seems to be simmering on the new Class thread.

I spoke to WPD (Who I once perceived had slighted me, and I PM'd him to let him know) at Clarkys gig on Friday, and it was his feeling that I took things on BC too seriously, and I think that is a fair comment. But typed communication is easy to misunderstand when you lose inflection and tone.

Maybe it's the weather, who knows, but I don't think the state of Off Topic is too bad, but the policing of the forum is down to the mods, and it's up to them how they act. I don't always think they are right, but they're not too terrible either.

For my own bad-self I'm avoiding direct confrontation, If I have any problems I'll take it to the mods.

I'm not sure if you could equate issues on BC with the state of affairs in the country on a wider scale, maybe, but maybe if we had a bit more sunshine more of us would be outside!

I do reckon the "feel good factor" that we expect to have in summer, is just not there, so this is affecting us all. Look around the shops, or at drivers on the road, and everyone looks fed up. Whereas in that week we had of good weather, the general mood of people seemed to be much better.

So I suppose this means us Basschatters are normal after all :rolleyes:

Can't lie, Kiwi - times are tough; and, whilst I know it's all first world issues (thank you, BC pedants) life will be feeling rather [i]sh*te[/i] for some of our fellow forum members.

Thus the grey areas, where we found our cooperation and willingness to engage with items beyond our approval or experience, are drying up - Off Topic is a complete ball ache now, and has shaved time off my lifespan given how frustrated I've felt with it.... and, ultimately, some of our members. We're all a little more sensitive, and a little less willing to give - and it's showing.

But, everything willing, we'll power through - you'll see :)

I don't think there's a lack of morale on BC in general, but OT goes through phases - for a while it was moaning about driving standards, then it was the X-factor then it was - well the list goes on. But all of those topics had a finite lifespan and went on to the back burner for a year or so. So nobody noticed.

Thing is, the recession, bank crisis, call it what you will, is an ongoing thing and people seem to keep coming back to it over and over. A minority seems to have fetishised the issue to a point where some are verging on spamming us with copy-paste and others are dragging recession / bankers / government into topics which have nothing to do with it.

To my mind 'politics' - in a loose sense - accounts for at least two problems:

* A developing moany sort of flavour to OT, despite the hitherto generally good-natured tone

* Increasing friction, albeit intermittent

Debating political issues dispassionately is fine. But there's just a wee bit too much childish abuse flying around these threads to justify their continuance.

NOI to the Mods, but the rule about avoid politics needs to be more frequently and evenly implemented. Why not give it a try and see how things develop?

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1340578953' post='1706653']
NOI to the Mods, but the rule about avoid politics needs to be more frequently and evenly implemented. Why not give it a try and see how things develop?
[/quote]

To keep it topical, a bit more [i]man marking[/i] of some topics wouldn't go amiss. It might feel like Plato taking his students through the motions, but I think the forum would benefit.

There is negativity on the boards at the moment so much so that i don't find myself checking in everyday anymore, good in some respects ( i play bass more). I was going to start a thread about it but thought it would leave me open for a world of abuse. It's always the same members too, in my opinion.
I hope it improves soon and the old guard (BassWorld) that seem to have disappeared start posting again.

By the way, my vasectomy was supposed to be last Thursday but the quack went off sick, funny how there was GP industrial action that day.
Mmmmmmm