Why become a member? ×

Cant Take A Compliment

Hobbayne

hmmm I get some nice responses over and above the rest of the band when 'introduced' so I figure that people recognise what I am doing...
This happens often enough for me not be getting the sympathy vote on one or two gigs..
Not many people come up to me after the gig though..but then when I talk to someone who has seen us before, socially, they always say nice things.
I don't understand why they leave it until another time but at least I am not caught off guard at the gig.

After all is said and done..be thankful that you get them at any point, rather than not at all. :lol;

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1339504648' post='1689389']
I usually say "Thanks, glad you liked it. Thanks for coming. Are you a bass player?"

Then get into a massive argument over why I don't play a fender and whether the second note of the fourth bar in the third song should have been an E or a G#.
[/quote]

Neither, should a been A flat.

I have noticed a direct relationship between the size of the noise coming out of my rig and the number of compliments i get.

I'm curious as to whether the people who get tongue tied with the word thanks, when complimented about their bass playing, can manage to get it out, when complimented about something else, say their clothes, or their car etc ?

If yes, then what differentiates this from bass playing ?

After all, is not a compliment a compliment. ?

The last time the band was introduced at our last gig by the singer. A member of the audience actually came up on stage and gave me a kiss.

Unfortunately it was a bloke.

I'm not really into stubble.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1339504648' post='1689389']
I usually say "Thanks, glad you liked it. Thanks for coming. Are you a bass player?"

Then get into a massive argument over why I don't play a fender and whether the second note of the fourth bar in the third song should have been an E or a G#.
[/quote]

What's a WAL? Can you not afford a Fender mate?

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1339500276' post='1689278']
As a youngster in a band that was 'going places' I had it drilled into me to smile shake the hand and say 'Thanks, glad you enjoyed it, thanks for coming!'
I pretty much still do to this day :)
[/quote]

good advice.

The band I used to be in played crazy art school electro pop stuff. Lots of fun- but also our major influences were maybe old 80's glasgow bands and a lot of pop stuff... a lot of folk would enjoy it but not have much to compare it too- it was always fun when they came up and were like "that was amazing, you sound just like ...... " it would always be a laugh who they picked!

When I play at church compliments probably come from the fact that I play loud enough that you can actually hear me! Though there is a funny story I've heard... I'm sure the ideas of God using people for things isn't entirely foreign- well a common depreciating reply to compliments in christian circles goes a bit like this:
"Hey man, really loved what you were doing on the bass in the worship"
"Thanks, but it wasn't really me, it was Jesus playing through me"

to which the correct response is an incredulous "no mate, it wasn't that good!"

:)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1339510666' post='1689552']
:

[/quote]

most excellent.

Bit like

"they're not crows' feet, they're laughter lines"
"Nothing's THAT funny"

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1339508953' post='1689510']
What's a WAL? Can you not afford a Fender mate?
[/quote]

I actually got asked if I couldn't afford a fender when someone saw my ACG...

So I opened my other gig bag and said it's my backup :lol:

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1339506195' post='1689424']
I never get compliments, just questions about my pedals :(
[/quote]

Don`t worry about it, I`ve been chatting to people after gigs, and they`ve even asked, mid-conversation "oh, are you in the band then?" in all seriousness.

I obviously hog the shadows :ph34r:

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1339508704' post='1689505']
I'm curious as to whether the people who get tongue tied with the word thanks, when complimented about their bass playing, can manage to get it out, when complimented about something else, say their clothes, or their car etc ?

[/quote]

Nope.

Firstly, no one is likely to compliment me on either my clothes or my car (you've not seen either, have you?).

Secondly, my bass playing - at whatever level it sits - is something I'm genuinely proud of.

My clothes are things I chose in a shop, my car's just a box on wheels which I paid money for; no skill or effort was involved.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1339502017' post='1689320']
Next time we get compliaments, why not say, "yeah, cheers. I mix the output of both pickups to a kind of low mid thump, with a dark overtone, then I let the compressor add a cool slam, boost 180 Hz by about 3 Db, add a notch of 7K, just to let the bottom end have a bit of air, then the signal is sent to the 4 ten inch speakers, with a hot DI feed going FOH".

And then watch their faces change.
[/quote]

Absolutely, because they liked you before that!

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1339498845' post='1689252']
We played the other night to a good crowd and were the first band on. As we were packing up to let the second band on, their bass player came up to me and said "Some nice bass playing mate!"
Instead of saying "Thanks" or "Cheers mate!" I waffled something about 'The sound being terrible and couldnt hear a thing!"
He must have thought I was a right arsehole! :(
[/quote]

Probably more common than you think, chief.

The last gig, the first band said much the same to me - and in the same, very British, act of recrimination I said "Nah, I was f***ing sh*te out there".

It's maybe a bass thing. It's maybe a British thing. But you're not alone in seeing the downside, or in humbling some direct praise.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1339510666' post='1689552']
When I play at church compliments probably come from the fact that I play loud enough that you can actually hear me! Though there is a funny story I've heard... I'm sure the ideas of God using people for things isn't entirely foreign- well a common depreciating reply to compliments in christian circles goes a bit like this:

:)
[/quote]

Not "Oh, so Jesus is a drummer then?" ?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1339514848' post='1689650']
Nope.

Firstly, no one is likely to compliment me on either my clothes or my car (you've not seen either, have you?).

Secondly, my bass playing - at whatever level it sits - is something I'm genuinely proud of.

My clothes are things I chose in a shop, my car's just a box on wheels which I paid money for; no skill or effort was involved.
[/quote]

Lets not split hairs here. If someone compliments you on your clothes or your car, they are complimenting your taste and your ability to choose well. The fact you dont dress well is neither here nor there. I just picked these examples to make a point.

As I said, a compliment is a compliment. ;)

Edited by Coilte

Say thank you.

Maybe you are a little embarrassed but this audience member has taken the time not only to come out (maybe pay) and listen to your band, then they have come over and said that they specifically like your playing/sound/dancing/haircut or whatever. That warrants a thank you in my book.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1339501297' post='1689299']
I find a simple "Thanks, it is easier than I make it look" followed be a chuckle or two usually works well.
[/quote]

I'm gonna nick that mate, great answer!

looking at most of the comments it seeme we bass players are def the most self depracating member of a band.....but then.. we all knew that anyway didn't we....

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1339500316' post='1689281'] "Why you wear dem gay glove blud?".

[/quote]

EPIC LULZORS!

I always reply back with something like 'are you sure?', as if they are drunk, which they usually are.
Swiftly followed by 'did the bass sound ok?' which meets a reply of blank faces....

If I get compliments at all it'll be for "solid" bass playing, and of course there's a voice in the back of my head going "They mean DULL, you moron". Even so, I usually manage "thank you, glad you enjoyed it, it helps to have a great audience" etc.

Then I go home and beat myself with birch twigs.