Why become a member? ×

Cant Take A Compliment

Hobbayne

It always makes me smile, and i generally follow it up by saying thanks, and thanks for coming :) I try to resist the urge to follow it up with something like"'oh and thanks for not mentioning me screwing up about 6 times during the set!"

If its a fellow musician/bassist I might start talking about my gear or sound etc, and cross my fingers that they'll let me without getting too bored :lol:

This reminds me of a review someone wrote for a Malacite show where they said something like "... With new bassist [chrismuzz] right in the pocket throughout."

Does that mean my solos were tight as a nun's chuff, or boring as f***? ...

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1339533744' post='1690216']
If I get compliments at all it'll be for "solid" bass playing, and of course there's a voice in the back of my head going "They mean DULL, you moron". Even so, I usually manage "thank you, glad you enjoyed it, it helps to have a great audience" etc.

Then I go home and beat myself with birch twigs.
[/quote]

My response, regardless of my opinion of the gig (why would I enforce my opinion over someone elses if they're nice enough to say something?) is, with a smile:
"Thank-you, you're very kind"

Easy :)

Si

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1339522844' post='1689911']
Lets not split hairs here. If someone compliments you on your clothes or your car, they are complimenting your taste and your ability to choose well. The fact you dont dress well is neither here nor there. I just picked these examples to make a point.

As I said, a compliment is a compliment. ;)
[/quote]
Really, it's not.

Compliments are given for different reasons, and are often culturally dependent. On top of that men and women give compliments for different reasons, and they also depend on who they're giving compliments to. What people are complimented on, and by whom, as well as the underlying purpose of the compliment, varies hugely.

As to why someone from this country might respond with anything other than 'thanks' - well, it's not very 'British' to blow your own trumpet is it.

But yes, "thanks" is the best reply. :)